advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So John (or anyone else in the know), three questions about the M-Pax and M-Power:

Are they in the same silver finish as the M-Dac?
When?
How much?

Cheers!

So John (or anyone else in the know), three questions about the M-Pax and M-Power:

Are they in the same silver finish as the M-Dac?
When?
How much?

Cheers!

Hi Moog,

Just got back for the Munich show and meetings.

The MAMP & MPAX will be available in both Silver & Black - with the finish a close match to the MDAC. I say "Close" as there is a degree of variance in the MDAC finish over is production cycle (there's a tolerance range).

We are targeting around July / August.

Designs not completed so the final pricing has not been confirmed, but we are looking at around GBP300 to GBP350 for the MPAX, and GBP600 to GBP700 for the MAMP's (maybe less).

John

Think it was mentioned that the DAC will be released later after the CD player (with DAC function as well)?

The Creek CD/PRE/DAC should be first with the Integrated Amplifier - there will also be a Matching Stereo Power Amplifier.

Creek DAC/Pre (with AV Bypass) & Digital AM / FM Tuner (software defined digital radio) will follow.

John

Hi John, just noticed on my M-DAC, it does not work every time if I try to disable the pre-amp (press menu and hold, power on, turn knob to select disable, press knob and M-DAC restarts). It takes a few tries before it works. Same goes if I try to enable the pre-amp.

Also noticed that when playing CD from the coaxial out of the CDQ, the freq jumps between 44.100KHz to 44.095KHz and 44.105KHz. Using coaxial 1.

Anything to be concern about for the above 2 issues?

Thanks.

First issue is a software bug that's been reported since day one, but we have not been able to reproduce on our own units so we cannot understand whats going on... Once we are able to reproduce it, then we can resolve with a software update...

Second issue is normal - you can select "Nominal Frequency" in the Menu to disable the real time Frequency count.

John

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my question.
I have a MDAC on pre-order. when i receive it i would like to utilize both the xlr and rca output (Im gonna run a seperate headphone amp and receiver that powers speakers).

I would like to use a XLR to RCA adapter cable for my receiver RCA Aux input. However after looking at the mdac's specs it says the voltage is 4.5V RMS vs the 2.25V RMS of the RCA output. Will the extra voltage damage the inputs on my Receiver? (its just an old Yamaha).

Thanks for any help.

Do not use XLR to RCA adapters, Depending how they are wired, you could endup "Shorting" the MDAC's outputs.

The Positive Phase and Ground could be connected to the RCA lead BUT NOT Positive / Negative Phase. The MDAC's XLR outputs are NOT FLOATING.

Hi Excuse my ignorance, but I've studied this thread pre and post purchase of the MDAC and I can't seem to decipher what the MPAX is supposed to do. Any clues would be appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

hi,

im confused, whats a b=dac , ive lost the thread a little. Im interested in your m=dac, but is the b=dac going to be better or different?

Also thinking about your amps are they stereo, monoblock, bridgeable, balanced?

Cheers
Mike

hi,

im confused, whats a b=dac , ive lost the thread a little. Im interested in your m=dac, but is the b=dac going to be better or different?

Cheers
Mike

bdac is a cheaper (b for budget!) dac for an as yet unknown uk firm with a list price of c. £200. I think ;)

Hi Excuse my ignorance, but I've studied this thread pre and post purchase of the MDAC and I can't seem to decipher what the MPAX is supposed to do. Any clues would be appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

The MPAX is an upgrade PSU with AV Bypass (Balanced and Unbalanced), 12V Trigger interface, course Stepped attenuators to limit MDAC Digital domain attenuation levels.

There's also an option for "Full Range" balanced stepped attenuator to allow the MPAX to function as a simple high quality Pre-amplifier.

The MPAX project is on hold until we completed the BDAC - as the BDAC might surpass the MDAC + MPAX combination in Sound quality, and will be closer in price to just the MPAX alone at around GBP350...

John

hi,

Cheers
Mike

There's a decent chance that the BDAC might sound better then the MDAC - but we really don't know ATM as we have not completed the design.

The MAMP is all:-

Selectable Stereo, Bi-Amped or Bridged Mode with XLR inputs.

John

Isn't that the recently announced Creek DAC, cost £500?

The Creek CD/DAC/PRE will be around GBP500 to GBP600...

BDAC (not sure what Creek will name it) will be around GBP350... but recall the history of the MDAC pricing...

Ah, I stand corrected. Haven't been following this thread as I started it simply to discuss the MDAC which has seemingly become impossible. ;)

Anyone playing HDCD's from Foobar with the HDCD plugin ?

Most of the time, the MDAC will display 17bits/44.1kHz with HDCD encoded material.
I'm guessing a MSB = 0 is added, which results in a 6dB reduction.
At low volume stages and at high volume stages, the display shortly switches to 24bits/44.1kHz, I'm guessing this is the dynamic range switching taking place ?

Hi John,

Glad you and Dominik are doing work with Creek Audio Systems - a superb no-nonsense brand and heritage. Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Andrew

First issue is a software bug that's been reported since day one, but we have not been able to reproduce on our own units so we cannot understand whats going on... Once we are able to reproduce it, then we can resolve with a software update...

Second issue is normal - you can select "Nominal Frequency" in the Menu to disable the real time Frequency count.

John

Thanks John for the reply. It seems to work well if I off the CDQ and did the change. If the CDQ is on, it does not work everytime. I will need to re-confirm this again once I get back from China.

By the way, using the RCA connection now and the left channel is subtlety louder than the right. I know there is a balance adjustment. But would like to check if the XLR output (no chance to try yet as no XLR amp) will have the same effect as the RCA output in the same unit?

The Creek CD/DAC/PRE will be around GBP500 to GBP600...

BDAC (not sure what Creek will name it) will be around GBP350... but recall the history of the MDAC pricing...

Will the BDAC sound better than the Creek CD/DAC/pre like the M-DAC and CDQ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back