advertisement

"best system in the world"

I was at the shop launch where the designer Alan Sides was there to demo his speakers. According to alan, It employs analog crossover with knobs for time alignment. It has to be custom tuned for every install.

I believe you heard these...
system-one2.jpg

I think the banner says "greatest sound on earth".

Mind blowing stuff... One not only hear the bass...one feels it.

Doesn't leave much room for the telly. Oh, wait a minute..

They didn't impress me when listening to them.
I thought they were thin and PA like after walking in and out of, someone else's dem.

I think the speakers are too big for that room. ThE imaging sweet spot is just the chair in the middle. Anywhere else one will get the feel of a PA.... but when one sits in the middle.... Its really something.

All sounds interesting Mike but it ain't all about the speakers so what was the full system?

a circa 2001 full naim 500 system with DBL speakers could certainly approximate to a band being in the room but would fall down on something like Diana Krall.

All sounds interesting Mike but it ain't all about the speakers so what was the full system?

a circa 2001 full naim 500 system with DBL speakers could certainly approximate to a band being in the room but would fall down on something like Diana Krall.

Agreed. Source was a funky looking thorens turntable and a maranta cdp. Amps were viola something or others (lots of em) and a very complex looking active crossover system that allowed tweaking for specific rooms. Have to say that I was surprised that the source wasn't better, and it certainly seemed like a system that would scale.

I forgot what was the cd player but it was powered by couple of Viola monoblocks (at least 8 I think). Viola is also another brand which has products in the pro audio industry. DBL can approximate band in the room, this setup can probably approximate a band in a medium sized hall (probably 4 times the room size of what DBL can fill).

advertisement

Back