advertisement

Still baffled by my turntable

rockingdoc

pfm Member
Using an SME 20 and SME V arm. Every record sounds much better from half way in the side i.e. the inner part of the disc, which should in theory sound worse, is very much better. This is not a subtle effect, so something is wrong with the playing of the outer tracks.

I have checked, re-checked and completely dismantled and set up again the arm geometry using several different protractors. The cartridge has been changed, alignment adjusted, VTA, downforce, bias all changed, but the effect remains. The turntable is stable and level.

My instinct is to suspect the arm bearings, but it moves very freely with no sticky points.

Any suggestions?

your not one of those people who have removed the top yoke from the bearing structure?

is the deck level?
is the cantilever of the cart. slightly bent or off centre?
is the bias set correctly?

is this a relatively new acquisition? Could it be your previous deck/arm/cart/combo has actually knackered all your records.

I found with my funk firm dc motor and top plate sound quality improved as the arm progressed across the record, wasnt bad at all at the start but better by the end consistant with almost every record played. Motor posotion? The funk top plate moves the linn motor position to about 7oclock. I am now a radikal but will be swaping between the two frequently when I finally get pensioned off living in hope it'll be soon.

You are not alone. It is the case with my Notts Ace Spacedeck & Ace Spacearm.

I put it down to the way I set the bias - maybe I overcompensate.
Arm geometry can never be perfect and somewhere there has to be a compromise in the setup. I suppose most people even it out and I don't.
I generally set the bias by eye and ear and this is what I end up with. If it troubles you then back off the bias, but I personally get a kick out it sounding great at the inner tracks after years of listening to those tracks becoming a fuzzy mess.

As it is an SME 20, there are no electronics located toward the right of the deck. The motor is mounted at the 9 o'clock position.

In this case, I suspect the difference is due to the record being increasingly heavily clamped to the platter, the closer one is to the (screw down) clamp. Try without the clamp at all and see if the difference still exists in the same way (could also be bias though :)).

Yeh, not a fan of the clamping arrangement on mine, never used the supplied 'coin' to help dish the record. My record label recess has a flat disc of 2mm carbon place over it so all my records effectively float in the air. (cheers Mark)

Interesting ideas, particularly about the clamp. The next shelf down only houses a Superline, and the power supplies are as far away as possible.
I have played with the bias, which makes a minor difference within the tracking range, but the middle still sounds better, with noticably better bass.

Make sure that the cueing device platform clears the underside of the arm tube. I have occasionally come across the rubber touching slightly and therefore adjustment is needed. Obviously due to tolerances it may catch at the beginning and not near the centre.

Err..you lot are starting to sound a lot like witches to me - time to get out the ducking-stool me thinks.

and build a bonfire!

Shhhh, don't let on. You'll have the Naim police round if you talk like that.:p

Too late, we're here! OP, go out tomorrow as soon as your nearest authorised dealer opens and buy a Sondek, Aro and Armageddon, then report to Salisbury on Monday for your 1,000 lashes with a SNAIC, think yourself lucky this is your first offence, for the second we use a Burndy cable! :D

advertisement

Back