advertisement

Getting out of HIFI !

A good tuner with a very good aerial, a live Radio 3 concert and a big pair of monitor speakers, and I have had many magical experiences. Sue and I often make an occasion of it, and chill down a good quality wine ... and on Radio 3 you get quite a lot of the effect of being in an audience.

Nic P

Chaps
The secret of hifi is to be content with what you have got and to stop swapping kit around.
I have two Naim systems, I can live with both and I use them a lot.
To me, life without Hifi and music would be terminally dull.

Regards
Mick

The problem with that attitude is that Naim the company need you to keep buying new gear so that they can continue to employ their staff and make a return for the share-holders - so come on Mick give something back, be a good little capitalist and buy that 500 series system.

cheers
Jason

The problem with that attitude is that Naim the company need you to keep buying new gear so that they can continue to employ their staff and make a return for the share-holders - so come on Mick give something back, be a good little capitalist and buy that 500 series system.

cheers
Jason

Interesting Jason, so what company do you know that can survive without selling their products?

And so this is Christmas, & the pfm get together ...

Last edited by a moderator:
After a long brake few years ago i started to go (sometimes very frequently) to good concerts of classical music.
Great, that's the right thing when you like classical music! What does "very frequently" mean?

When you listen to some greater orchestral works, you will have no doubts, that there is no system on earth you can buy for any money which can reproduce a good orchestra

The difference is so huge, all this hifi gear is becoming so ridicolous, just peanuts :)
Well lets put it this way: up to now you haven't heard anything that came close to your experiences in concert halls.
What do you mean when you write "can reproduce a good orchestra"? Are you talking about the exact physical sound waves or the exact feeling you have or what else? What do you expect from Hifi?

Great, that's the right thing when you like classical music! What does "very frequently" mean?

Well lets put it this way: up to now you haven't heard anything that came close to your experiences in concert halls.
What do you mean when you write "can reproduce a good orchestra"? Are you talking about the exact physical sound waves or the exact feeling you have or what else? What do you expect from Hifi?

Very frequnely means that sometimes i go for a concert twice a month and sometimes 4 times a week. It depends on the programm.

I expect from the hifi realistic music reproduction. When you hear once one of the Mahler symphonies live, than you will agree that even the best hifi gear is just ridicolous.
A very good musician playing Stradivari is also a good test.

Very frequnely means that sometimes i go for a concert twice a month and sometimes 4 times a week. It depends on the programm.

I expect from the hifi realistic music reproduction. When you hear once one of the Mahler symphonies live, than you will agree that even the best hifi gear is just ridicolous.
I was told that Titian (a zerogain member based in Switzerland) has/had a system that came pretty close. I'm sure there are some serious systems that would get as close as is possible given they are always dependent upon the recorded media as the fundamental limit.

It seems an unrealistic aim, no? A live orchestra plays at volumes that aren't really practical for most people, who have neighbours and family members. Ditto a live rock band, or jazz band.

It all seems a little like, "well, if I can't eat 3-star Michelin food every day, I'm going to starve myself to death." Sorry!

I was told that Titian (a zerogain member based in Switzerland) has/had a system that came pretty close. I'm sure there are some serious systems that would get as close as is possible given they are always dependent upon the recorded media as the fundamental limit.

Hard to believe.

I listened to many "serious" very expensive (10000-200000€) systems in the past, some best active Naim setups with DBL, some with Mark Levinson, Krell etc, etc.

For me those systems compared to real orchestra are just ridiculous. Just peanuts :)

Personally i prefer the sound of a small well adjusted Rega or Naim system than a huge expensive monster.

Probably the weakest point is the source (we still do not have really good HD recordings, my best classical recordings are from the sixties) and the speakers.

The flip side of this is that if you don't live in a city with an exceptional orchestra, a decent hi-fi (doesn't have to cost the moon) will give you a glimpse of, say, Carlos Kleiber conducing the Berlin Philharmonic.

The fact that I can "own" that performance for less than a tenner is something I'd never want to give up, even though the real deal is so much better... if you were lucky enough to be there.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe.

I listened to many "serious" very expensive (10000-200000€) systems in the past, some best active Naim setups with DBL, some with Mark Levinson, Krell etc, etc.

For me those systems compared to real orchestra are just ridiculous. Just peanuts :)

Personally i prefer the sound of a small well adjusted Rega or Naim system than a huge expensive monster.

Probably the weakest point is the source (we still do not have really good HD recordings, my best classical recordings are from the sixties) and the speakers.
I'm not sure it just comes down to money. I'd also question whether any Naim setup would be an ideal example of a system designed for reproducing a symphony orchestra.

My recollection is that Titian's/Spartaco's system at that time (5 years ago) comprised Nesterovic mains, driven by tube mono blocks, with a 300W Krell (class A?) driving two subs. I can't recall his analogue and digital front ends.

Nice when it comes a couple of times in a week. :cool:
I loved it when I could hear a symphony of Mahler 4 times the same week (rehearsal 3-4 hours and then 3 concerts on the further days).

Nice that you say "realistic music reproduction" and not exactly the same sound because the later is physically not possible.
"Realistic music reproduction" is an approximation which our senses (psychoacoustics is also included) will judge as "like live".
This is also very personal and therefore quite disputable.

I understand your reaction about Mahler symphonies. Could you tell me which sound characteristics which you felt live is according to you not possible to reproduce by a Hifi? In other words what impressed you in these life concerts that you believe cannot be reproduced by a Hifi?

The rumors about Titian's system were from members which visit him a few years ago (5 or 7?). They reported about a sound "closest to live ever heard by them" (or something like that). That is subjective and shouldn't be generalized. I had the pleasure to hear it and it sounded great at that time. I would say also "close" to live.
The point is that if you have the possibility to hear his system today it sounds quite different. I would say much closer to live as then but now my point is: how close to live it was 5 years ago when I believed it was already close to live? Maybe it wasn't at all close to live at that time but then maybe it is not at all close to live today. Well I believe everybody should make his experiences but never generalize them. One thing though about the sound of his system today is that nearly everybody, when reporting, is comparing the sound with live sound.
If someone is really interested in knowing if Hifi can do a realistic music reproduction then he should take his time and listen to a lot of systems which have been considered "great". Thinking about names I would say accurately set up systems with loudspeakers like Gaithain (ME800K), H+K (O500), Silbersand (700) and equivalent in an optimal acoustically treated room.

It seems an unrealistic aim, no? A live orchestra plays at volumes that aren't really practical for most people, who have neighbours and family members. Ditto a live rock band, or jazz band.
Now I would like to know which volumes are you talking about? For this point we need measurements. How many db?

Why? I would like to have more detailed information.

Also here it would be nice to know more about your (let say) taste. Of course if you don't want to then don't respond but it would be nice for an open discussion.

Maybe maybe not. If you would hear a system, which does according to you realistic music, listening to a normal CD (DGG, Philips, BIS, Teldec,...) then you'll change your mind.
Clearly if the recording is done badly then no system will be able to make the sound "like live". ;)

Titian = spartaco? :rolleyes: I would love to have his music room for ever though! :D Well to say the truth I would prefer a bigger room. :D

PS:

My recollection is that Titian's/Spartaco's system at that time (5 years ago) comprised Nesterovic mains, driven by tube mono blocks, with a 300W Krell (class A?) driving two subs. I can't recall his analogue and digital front ends.

FYI, I just looked up on Zerogain. Titian puts some "updates" of his system here a few days ago.

Barry: That sounds like a very nice way to spend the winters nights with good company and music.:cool:

Give up the Hi fi? Yeah right! If your right arm offends you ........go ahead :D

Aint giving the marriage up either till I find out what this sex is all about....Maybe that's why I got my own listening room...

I'm giving up on hi-fi and going to get into 7.1 in 2011. If life wasn't hard enough in 2 channel land 2011 will see me hanging from the roof top.

advertisement

Back