advertisement

Alternatives to Rega Ela

FISBEY

pfm Member
Looking for suggestions for speakers to replace my Rega Elas which I'm finding way to lean and a bit brash at times.

I'm using Naim 82 + hicap. 250 and a CD5XS plus a Nat03 for radio.

Part of the problems is that the only place the speakers can go is in an 8 foot wide bay and many speakers seem to produce way too much bass.

I've tried Shahinian Arcs - lovely in my old room but had the floorboards shaking in the current room.

Shahinian Compass - again way too much bass.

Focal 1007S - too much bass.

Vienna accoustics Haydn Grand - didn't really like them...

I listen to all sorts of music by the way and would like to buy secondhand if at all possible or maybe ex dem.

I do realise I could probably do with a slightly better source and the room isn't helping, but all I want is Elas with a slightly sweeter top end and more body.

I did audition some harbeths (compact 7's) which I liked for their openness, but didn't dem them at home - the M30's I felt may be a bit much in my current room...

Any ideas welcome :)

I'm using Naim 82 + hicap. 250 and a CD5XS

This may course the trouble

A unbalanced Naim setup is hard to get singing and other issue's may pop up once the current (allready good) speakers are replaced.

I had a CDI for 15 years before the 5XS - the CDI seemed to integrate better (to my ears anyway) with the rest of the system...

Think I'm answering my own questions really!

i do personally would give a try to the rega r5/rs5's, and mainly to the latter for its being really sweet (not just in rega terms). however, the rs5's do have true bass that might cause some problem... nevertheless, i highly advise you to give them a listen, they are outstanding speakers for the money re-producing MUSIC that not so often is the case with today's offerings - and are from the rega mould as well :)
as a final note, my vote, however, for replacement would go to the whole naim gear ;) sorry, ime regas (and my ears) are much happier with valves (audio innovations, audio note), or with hybrids such as croft, or ss amps like lfd products...
to close, as of the harbeth c7 es (mk2), i did have these, but in my ~17m2 room they produced too much bass in spite the 1.2m space from the back wall and, more importantly, needed at least 80cms from the side walls - otherwise the midrange got extremely coloured

Mine are the 1.5 (with 4 feet) - I had a pair of the mark 1's many years ago - from memory they were the better speaker.

I think the CD player may be part of the problem, so I'll look at that first.

Many thanks

...Elas with a slightly sweeter top end and more body.

Rega's own Xel. Basically a three way Ela, I was really surprised how much they bettered it in just the ways you are looking for. Have seen the odd pair on eBay. Another alternative might be RS1's (well regarded by a big Rega fan on pfm).

Wonder who that could be........

Obviously depends on room size but the RS1's on Partington Dreadnought Broadside stands are well worth a listen.

I had Elas for many years , then RS3s and have finally hit the spot with the RS1s.

With the right system [and they will easily show any changes within the system] and set up correctly they sound way beyond expectations.

I have ELA's but don't know which type. They have a round bass driver. They are fluted half the way down, then a non fluted front panel and three feet. They sound great in my office but had too much bass boom, honestly, in our main system. I always thought that these were 1.5's but I could be wrong.

I think they're the same as mine Bob! Mine can boom - moving them out from the wall helped in this respect.

mmm it does sound like I need to look at the rest of the system though.

I have ELA's but don't know which type. They have a round bass driver. They are fluted half the way down, then a non fluted front panel and three feet... I always thought that these were 1.5's but I could be wrong.

only the mk1s had a round mid/bass driver, all the later ela models had 'square'(ish) mid/bass drivers - of course, speaking of the shape of the rims ;) however, the mk1.5's and mk2's cabinet fascias were half-fluted on the top section, and it was just the mk1 that had its front fully fluted... go figure

Types of Ela

1-Fully fluted/Royd driver/3 feet
2-Half fluted/Royd driver/3 feet
3-Half fluted/Rega driver/3 feet
4-Half fluted [Xel style]/Rega driver/4 feet
5-Ela 2000

Types of Ela

1-Fully fluted/Royd driver/3 feet
2-Half fluted/Royd driver/3 feet
3-Half fluted/Rega driver/3 feet
4-Half fluted [Xel style]/Rega driver/4 feet
5-Ela 2000