advertisement

ZYX cartridges Carbon Cantilever vs Boron

Thanks Graham and Pkay, I have some experimenting to do. My arm is a 4Point so a good match for ZYX, Franc Kuzma resold ZYX carts at one point.
Is your Exceed 4D cartridge fitted with a TB or SB headshell?

I am not sure which headshell it is but I know it is the heavier of the two ZYX offers.

I've been listening for the last hour at 1.8gm. It's a revelation, the improvement for a minuscule change in VTF is crazy , I will drop to 1.75gm tomorrow and see if there are further gains.

Its sonic performance is almost indistinguishable from the Transfiguration Proteus.
That's interesting, Graham. My thoughts on the Proteus are that the very low internal impedance (1 ohm?) is largely responsible for the transparency and dynamics. Its output is low, but not ridiculously so like an iO, e.g.; clever stuff really. I wonder if the ZYX has similar electrical characteristics.

That's interesting, Graham. My thoughts on the Proteus are that the very low internal impedance (1 ohm?) is largely responsible for the transparency and dynamics. Its output is low, but not ridiculously so like an iO, e.g.; clever stuff really. I wonder if the ZYX has similar electrical characteristics.
Specs for the Exceed Dynamic are as follows Mike. Nice low output (0.15mV). Note the coils are wound very differently to the other ZYX models which I think is the main reason it sounds very much like the Proteus:

Ultimate-Exceed-Dynamic.png

Dropped my VTF to 1.75gm and it sounds so incredibly sweet and detailed, its a night and day difference from where I started at 1.95gm. The TAD 4001 has never sounded so utterly real and engaging. I will live with this for a month or two and then drop to 1.7gm and see what happens.

Dropped my VTF to 1.75gm and it sounds so incredibly sweet and detailed, its a night and day difference from where I started at 1.95gm. The TAD 4001 has never sounded so utterly real and engaging. I will live with this for a month or two and then drop to 1.7gm and see what happens.
Mine is down to 172g (near enough) and I’m loving the synergy with the rest of my system.

Does your cart have the boron cantilever?

advertisement

Back