advertisement

YouTuber - Ditton Works

Someone has just pointed me to a review of his which features some speakers of mine. This came as a bit of a surprise. He approached me as a potential customer and I sent the speakers out to him for a home demo. There was no mention of Ditton Works, YouTube or a review. Had he asked to borrow the speakers for review then I might still have agreed to send them to him, but this sneakiness has left a bad taste in my mouth. To makes matters worse, the speakers were damaged when they arrived back here.

Someone has just pointed me to a review of his which features some speakers of mine. This came as a bit of a surprise. He approached me as a potential customer and I sent the speakers out to him for a home demo. There was no mention of Ditton Works, YouTube or a review. Had he asked to borrow the speakers for review then I might still have agreed to send them to him, but this sneakiness has left a bad taste in my mouth. To makes matters worse, the speakers were damaged when they arrived back here.

That is definitely not on Lee. Now you know the reason for borrowing the speakers is there any way you can get something for the damage?

That’s terrible

Poor. On a personal level, can't bring myself to even go tyre kicking, much as I'd like to sometimes. I'll only darken a dealers door if I've funds and intentions of a prospective purchase.

Being upfront about a home demonstration is a must tbh. saying that, I am aware that some brands have high expectations of an online review and some often refuse a loan unless a favourable review is received, they obviously don’t normally say this in writing but will want to see the video before it’s uploaded and will often provide a predetermined script for a content maker to follow.
Anyone who has been making content will be familiar with this approach.
The op should get in touch with the chap and discuss the issue with the damage, was the damage caused by the use or something else?

Being upfront about a home demonstration is a must tbh. saying that, I am aware that some brands have high expectations of an online review and some often refuse a loan unless a favourable review is received, they obviously don’t normally say this in writing but will want to see the video before it’s uploaded and will often provide a predetermined script for a content maker to follow.
Anyone who has been making content will be familiar with this approach.
The op should get in touch with the chap and discuss the issue with the damage, was the damage caused by the use or something else?

I am a retailer rather than a manufacturer. The only request I have ever made of a reviewer is that they include a link to my website.

I understand this, was just mentioning that reviews on YouTube often come with strings. It is not ok to “home demo” products without specifically stating that it will be used for an online review, that tactic will soon get a channel banned!
You should definitely get in touch with the chap and discuss the damage to the speakers, and going via the platform(pm) should get a response or some solution for you both.

Strange this! I phoned you twice to thank you for allowing me to demo the speakers (no mention of damage) I have pictures of the speakers before they were boxed up! If? Any damage occurred (unlikely in original packaging) it would have been the courier, I wish you had contacted me stating this “damage” and a claim against the courier could have been made.

Second point here.
I very much intended to buy the Graham Audio Chartwell LS6 speakers from you, as long as, I actually liked them. They were fantastic but I actually chose to buy Spendor Classic 2/3’s (more expensive I might add) because I preferred them over the Chartwells.

last point.. should I choose to make a video of my thoughts on the speaker’s (you very kindly sent me) that’s totally up to me..
no sneakiness, I legitimately had serious interest in buying them, not just making a video.

I will say (as I did on the phone both times we spoke) I thought it was incredibly kind of you to send the speakers to me in the first place, I’m sorry you feel this was underhanded and you’re left with a bad taste.
My channel is purely for fun, I make nothing from it and have bought or own everything I’ve reviewed. Minus your LS6, Schiit Freya and Dynaudio Emit 10’s.

I will happily put a link to Strictly Stereo in the comments on the Video if you would like me to?

Kind
Regards
Ditton Works

That seems a fair response

Perhaps, however, if you are going to review something that you don't own and has been lent to you from a dealer or manufacturer and put the review on Youtube, shirley it's only common courtesy to be transparent and say this from the outset.

I think if I was the dealer and a prospective purchaser said... they'd like to review a set of speakers on Youtube and i will purchase them at the end of the review (if i like them)... i'd think twice about sending them, as i would question what the persons motivation was, even if it was to actually purchase the speakers.

Perhaps, however, if you are going to review something that you don't own and has been lent to you from a dealer or manufacturer and put the review on Youtube, shirley it's only common courtesy to be transparent and say this from the outset.

I think if I was the dealer and a prospective purchaser said... they'd like to review a set of speakers on Youtube and i will purchase them at the end of the review (if i like them)... i'd think twice about sending them, as i would question what the persons motivation was, even if it was to actually purchase the speakers.
I was kindly sent the speakers to demo with the intention of purchasing had I liked them/suited my room etc. the fact I chose to do a video on them had nothing to do with it.
I couldn’t have bought that pair anyway because they were a demo pair and not the finish I wanted. I simply did what loads of people do, I auditioned the speakers before buying them.. I auditioned Spendor Classic 2/3’s, purchased them and reviewed them.. the massive delay in between the videos was purely waiting 10 weeks for HiFi Racks to build my Fortis Stands. basically I was looking to buy new speaker’s and decided not to buy the Chartwell LS6.
when I’ve been asked to review a product I always include the manufacturer or supplier in the video. I wasn’t asked to review the LS6’s I chose to share my experiences (very positive by the way) on my channel.
had the Spendor’s not been more to my taste I would have 100% ordered the LS6 from simply stereo, who’s service I cannot fault. one last thing they offer a 30 day trial with free shipping both ways.. I paid to return the speakers..

Ps. As Leslie Nielsen once said. Don’t call
Me Shirley.

You aren't a bad presenter i'll give you that, looking through the channel you've reviewed some Tannoy M20's which were the first "hifi" speakers i can remember owning although mine were the less fancy black versions.

Strange this! I phoned you twice to thank you for allowing me to demo the speakers (no mention of damage) I have pictures of the speakers before they were boxed up! If? Any damage occurred (unlikely in original packaging) it would have been the courier, I wish you had contacted me stating this “damage” and a claim against the courier could have been made.

I remember that we spoke on the phone before I sent you the speakers and I remember that you came across as a decent and honest sort of chap in all of our telephone and email conversations. I certainly had plenty of opportunity to tell you about the damage between now and then. I chose not to mention it because I am not in the habit of putting customers through the mill over damage which could easily have occurred in transit. I do not appreciate your suggestion that I might be lying about the "damage".

Second point here.
I very much intended to buy the Graham Audio Chartwell LS6 speakers from you, as long as, I actually liked them. They were fantastic but I actually chose to buy Spendor Classic 2/3’s (more expensive I might add) because I preferred them over the Chartwells.

I have no issue at all with that. That is what I signed up for when I agreed to lend you my speakers, along with the risk that they might get damaged along the way.

last point.. should I choose to make a video of my thoughts on the speaker’s (you very kindly sent me) that’s totally up to me..
no sneakiness, I legitimately had serious interest in buying them, not just making a video.

Sharing your thoughts on the speakers is one thing. Featuring my speakers in your YouTube video is a different matter and I really think that you should ask the owner's permission before doing that again in future. The serial numbers of my speakers are shown at one point. I understand that you might not realise or care about the potential consequences that has.

I remember that we spoke on the phone before I sent you the speakers and I remember that you came across as a decent and honest sort of chap in all of our telephone and email conversations. I certainly had plenty of opportunity to tell you about the damage between now and then. I chose not to mention it because I am not in the habit of putting customers through the mill over damage which could easily have occurred in transit. I do not appreciate your suggestion that I might be lying about the "damage".

I have no issue at all with that. That is what I signed up for when I agreed to lend you my speakers, along with the risk that they might get damaged along the way.

Sharing your thoughts on the speakers is one thing. Featuring my speakers in your YouTube video is a different matter and I really think that you should ask the owner's permission before doing that again in future. The serial numbers of my speakers are shown at one point. I understand that you might not realise or care about the potential consequences that has.
Furthering on from our phone conversation this afternoon I have pulled the video from YouTube..
This was an honest mistake and I now fully understand the consequences (for you) regarding serial numbers.
Thank you for accepting my sincere apologies.
Regards
Ditton Works.

I found ‘Ditton Works’ description and review of the Kef & Falcon LS3/5as interesting.
He’d done his homework, except the speculation about the Kef cabinet.
It’s not difficult to discover it’s made of MDF, but then I’m an ‘LS3/5a Anorak’ according to
some on this Forum.
I wouldn’t disagree...
Otherwise, a good review.
Whether or not I’d send him my latest speaker build to review is something I’m thinking over.

advertisement

Back