advertisement

Your YouTube Adventures

This is both bonkers and fascinating. Appice and Bogert just before they hooked up with Jeff Beck and so I guess basically proto-hard rock?

This is both bonkers and fascinating.

That’s pretty much my view too. I’ve had mono 1st pressings of their first three albums for decades and I can’t work out if they are any good or absolutely terrible. They escape my collection-thinning/space-saving cull whenever I go through as I honestly don’t know. If you want to see how just plain odd they got try The Beat Goes On. On paper it looks like a covers album with a bit of classical thrown in at random, but that doesn’t convey the sheer WTFness of it all. Clearly of its time, and sails disturbingly close to ELP at times, but I suspect they had access to far better drugs.

That’s pretty much my view too. I’ve had mono 1st pressings of their first three albums for decades and I can’t work out if they are any good or absolutely terrible. They escape my collection-thinning/space-saving cull whenever I go through as I honestly don’t know. If you want to see how just plain odd they got try The Beat Goes On. On paper it looks like a covers album with a bit of classical thrown in at random, but that doesn’t convey the sheer WTFness of it all. Clearly of its time, and sails disturbingly close to ELP at times, but I suspect they had access to far better drugs.
And it's on the Ed Sullivan show where just a 4 or 5 years earlier middle America was shocked and scandalised by The Beatles playing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"!

This is both bonkers and fascinating. Appice and Bogert just before they hooked up with Jeff Beck and so I guess basically proto-hard rock?

Proto prog rock as well. Their long and epic takes on prog tunes was a huge influence on a lot of bands that emerged late 60s, early 70s.

You can draw a direct line from this to Deep Purple (check out their version of "Help" on the first album"), Uriah Heep ("Come Away Melinda") and Beggars Opera as well as later US bands like Kansas.

Anyhoo. In the "beardy white guys doing progressive versions of late 60s motown pop songs" stakes, I'll see your Vanilla Fudge and raise you one Rare Earth.

advertisement

Back