advertisement

Your worst HiFi/Audio purchases ever...?

Same issue with display showing DAB+ chip error followed by a code: local service advised my they already faced similar issues with electrolitics that were bursting causing power supply to be out of range and the chip going into protection mode, they expect to solve this in a few days with budget repair within €100,00

Krell Kav-300i, I didn’t care for neither the sound or the ergonomics. Bought second hand (almost new) after a messy listening session at a crazy dealer and never liked it.

I shall promptly go throw my Holbo table right into the dumpster!:)
Gosh no!
Massively subjective.
If you are happy with yours then that is great. I have an LP12 and we know how some feel about them.
No offence meant - just my personal view :D

I’ll never tire of saying this: Dynavector pre + power amps. They made my head ache and stripped paint off the walls. I even sent them to Pear Audio to be checked out - they were OK. Sold them soon afterwards.
Oh, and the speakers were Shahinian Obs MK1. They should have worked, they didn’t, not for me.

Gosh no!
Massively subjective.
If you are happy with yours then that is great. I have an LP12 and we know how some feel about them.
No offence meant - just my personal view :D

For sure Badger, I was just trying to be silly in it all. The Holbo more than works for me, even with low budget cartridge at the moment, which shall change eventually. Vinyl isn’t my primary source, yet I enjoy it when I play it. I got mine at a price I could not refuse, and while that kind of sounds damning, in my setup it really works and sounds very good. I’m having fun with it all anyway! Hope all is well with you! Oh, and I do happen to like the LP12 too!

Linn Sara's....not saying that anything that I have bought has been awful but some live on that list of things that were "my worst purchases " ...it's a personal thing.

The Sara's I just couldn't get to do what I was looking for....no excitement.

Naim 135's ...again these are on the list for failing to deliver any excitement. For context, they were replaced with Linn Klouts ..they suited me better that was all.

TW Acustic Raven One, highend raved german turntable, what an utter piece of expensive shit…Massively build but sounded like a tiny coffee tin. Had the massive plint replaced as it was not level… with a new plint that was not level…. A real learning experience that huge massive turntables, does not equate huge sound…my god it was awfull. Been loathing those Garden shed Oil Rigs with High Price tags ever since.
At that time replaced With Roksan Xerxes 20x and Tabriz WAY WAY and extremely better for far less money, using the same Van Den Hul Cart..

Goldring G101 turntable in 1974. Took it back on the tube to Tottenham Court Rd. and came away with a Pioneer PL12D. Very happy.
Naim CDX ….grated my teeth too much with this. Never a huge CD fan, but…..Did like the CDS2 and 3 I had later.
Shahinian Obelisk Mk1. They didn’t get on with the 52/135s I had at the time. Dull and lifeless. No synergy at all.

Peter

Pyramid Metronome 11 speakers, utterly dreadful. Took a foolish chance and bought them without auditioning first. I sold them on to someone in Canada, who apparently hated them too and thus decided it was OK to stiff me on the not-inconsiderable shipping charges. An awful experience all around.

If I can't get the AT-VM95ml sounding enjoyable on my Rega 3, it'll be joining the list. Thin, etched sounding thing it has been! - really putting me off my record listening.

Update: reduced overhang by 1mm & increased VTF a little to 2 grams, & things are greatly improved. :)

Last edited:
If I can't get the AT-VM95ml sounding enjoyable on my Rega 3, it'll be joining the list. Thin, etched sounding thing it has been! - really putting me off my record listening.

I'm not saying the AT cart is no good, they are good, but AT carts have a characteristic sound. I'd recommend you try a Rega Exact. Maybe you can borrow one from your dealer? Literally made for your turntable and boy does it show.

I’ll never tire of saying this: Dynavector pre + power amps. They made my head ache and stripped paint off the walls. I even sent them to Pear Audio to be checked out - they were OK. Sold them soon afterwards.
Oh, and the speakers were Shahinian Obs MK1. They should have worked, they didn’t, not for me.

Tony should make this post a sticky. As you say ‘you never tire of saying this’. :)
I think you’ve posted this at least half a dozen times in my memory. The reason I remember it was that I had Dynavector amps the first time I saw you post this.

Perfectly appropriate in the context of this thread though.

My own worst hifi purchase was the Well Tempered DPS power supply which I bought to power my Versalex. It killed the Versalex motor. Luckily I hadn’t also connected it to my Dynavector P75 as well, as the fate might have been the same. Pear Audio do not recommend this product.
(i have to put my hands up and admit that this is not the first time I have posted this story).

regards

Kevin

Apologies if you found my repeated postings tiresome, but my point was listen before buying. Less risk if buying used, of course. Something I've never said before: Dynavector amps are very nice to handle as they look and feel very competently designed and put together.

I'm not saying the AT cart is no good, they are good, but AT carts have a characteristic sound. I'd recommend you try a Rega Exact. Maybe you can borrow one from your dealer? Literally made for your turntable and boy does it show.
Oh I'd love to try an Exact! Trouble is the nearest dealer is hours away; the cartridge twice the price of the AT; & the stylus is likely to have a shorter life. I do get your point, though.

Anyway I've enjoyed several records since I tweaked the setup. There's greater body & much improved coherence. The soundstage is fantastic. So it'll do for now, anyway.

advertisement

Back