advertisement

Your favourite recorded performance of Madame Butterfly

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Though I treasure the Callas/Karajan, the Price/Karajan and De Los Angeles/Gavazzeni, I find myself continually returning to the Serafin/Tebaldi/Bergonzi recording on Decca. Though Tebaldi was often placed in the shadow of Callas(indeed she made way for her), her sincerity, technique and often hair raising vocal made her very special. And though she may fail to capture the youth of Butterfly(How many do without sounding mannered?), she is believable.This is a beautifully conducted and well-paced performance further enhanced by a resplendent Pinkerton in the form of that Prince of Tenors, Carlo Bergonzi. His golden tone and mastery of line is the perfect complement to Tebaldi. It's a recording I will continue to treasure for years to come. Which is your most treasured Butterfly performance?
Del

Great spontaneous sounding performance the Barbirolli. Really like Scotto, very much in the Callas mode. I think Bergonzi is in better voice on the Serafin and I do prefer Serafin's conducting.

Yes,Callas is unique in this respect. Her phrasing was remarkable and you felt she lived each performance. Her Tosca with De Sabata and her Lescaut are great examples of her art and her acute sense of drama.The film of her Tosca with the equally revered Gobbi is a superb example of this.It's when you see her in the flesh that you understand her greatness.

I found Gallardo Domas's performance with Pappano very moving. She has a girlish presentation and a young voice which helps.Her doll like appearance with Kabuki style make up seemed to aid the performance.Can't find clips of the Pappano performance but this clip gives some idea of it.

http://youtu.be/Abp0icHmpps

Del

Pavarotti could be very subtle, his unique phrasing giving an intimate quality to his vocal. His later superstardom led to some vulgar, hectoring performances. As a stage actor he was static. Pinkerton is a very unlikeable character yet Pavarotti manages to give him a previously hidden sincerity. I think this is more to do with his golden, smiling tone than his performance though.Very much in the Di Stefano mould I think. I did enjoy his Lescaut with Freni, less subtle but with a generosity and beauty of voice that few could match.

I'd like to suggest a recording often overlooked : Anna Moffo and Cesare Valletti, conducted by Leinsdorf. It's one of Moffo's best performances on record, and the tenor was also at his considerable best.

Otherwise another vote for the Gavazzeni, which is certainly the better of de Los Angeles' two recordings, though Bjoerling on the later Santini set is irreplaceable. Just a shame about Santini's underpowered conducting.

Their is also the early Price/Tucker/Leinsdorf set. Worth it for Price's lovely assumption of the role.And a passionate performance throughout.

The Pappano is beautifully conducted and played. Gheorghiu has the full measure of Butterfly and brings Callas to mind in her interpretation, though she never quite surpasses that classic assumption. Though Kaufman is a fine singer, I find his vocal too rigid with none of the Italianate lyrical beauty of Bergonzi or Pavarotti. Better in Wagner I think. I listened to a little of the Karajan again this morning. A beautifully lush performance though a little slow in parts for my liking. I much prefer Karajan's Verdi, especially in Otello with Tebaldi and Del Monaco.

Amazing how a puppet can add such poignancy to this performance.It really enhances it. Such a range of expression.Minghella was a genius.

advertisement

Back