advertisement

Your favourite performance of Tchaikovsky's Sixth symphony

Del monaco

Del Monaco
With the recent interest in generating more discussion around classical music, I thought I'd attempt to start a thread around classic repertoire. Tchaikovsky's Sixth is probably a good place to start.It's a very emotional 'heart on sleeve' piece and therefore accessible.There are also a vast range of performances to explore. The emphasis should be on your favourite performance, not the best performance. It would be interesting to hear why you like it. as well.
My own particular favourite is the 60s Mraninsky Leningrad performance. The first movement is overwhelming with some of the finest brass playing I've ever heard, even with the warbling quality so typical of Russian orchestras. The players are on their toes and hang on to the sometimes lightning pace that Mravinsky demands. The performance is crowned by a heart rending final movement where the violins weep in tragic unity. By the end of the performance, there really is nothing left to say and you feel thoroughly wrung out. A serious and deeply moving performance.I feel it is one of the greatest symphonies ever written.
Del

I agree, but I add two who deserve to be heard: Markevitch on Newton Classics (the complete cycle), David Oistrakh (yes, the violinist was also a great conductor) on a rare performance reissued by DGG (?). I prefer the stereo Mravinsky, recorded in England during a famous tour of the Leningrad Philarmonic. And don't forget to add Manfred to the 6 symphonies (there is a great performance by Solti).

I like the Naxos Petrenko performance of the Manfred.An exciting conductor with some fine Shostakovich as well.Has reenergised the Liverpool band.

I like Jansonns with the Oslo orchestra. Had the box set when I did CDs. The DG Mravinsky recordings are my favourites though. Bernstein and the NYP do a very passionate 6th. It's perhaps a little too wayward to be considered great though.

Which Bernstein performance is it please?I have a later performance on Panorama but I found that,though it was very beautiful in parts, it lacked tension, especially in the first movement.

I feel it is one of the greatest symphonies ever written.
Del

It is!

Tchaikovsky's sixth was the piece of music that got me into classical, and 25 years later I still love it.

My favourite performance is Igor Markevitch and LSO on Philips, great recording from 1960s. It may be on other labels now. I prefer it to Mravinsky.

Mikhail Pletnev and Russian National Orchestra on Virgin Classics is very good too.

I'd avoid Bernstein's later DG recording - very wayward. It was probably an amazing experience in the concert hall but not as a recording.

My favourite performance is Igor Markevitch and LSO on Philips, great recording from 1960s. It may be on other labels now. I prefer it to Mravinsky.

Mikhail Pletnev and Russian National Orchestra on Virgin Classics is very good too.

I think Markevitch is an underrated conductor, I haven`t heard this recording, I shall look it out.
I tend to prefer Mravinsky over other recordings I have heard but the Pletnev is very good.

here's a list someone online has compiled, figure this is a decent target and makes for fine fodder:

Claudio Abbado, Simon Bolivar Venezuelan Youth Symphonic 2010 broadcast
Ernest Ansermet, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande 1956 Decca
Sergiu Celibidache, West German Radio Symphony Orchestra broadcast
Vladimir Delman, RAI Symphony Orchestra 1990
Wilhelm Furtwangler, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 1938
Daniele Gatti, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
George Gerogescu, Romanian Radio & TV Orchestra 1950's LP
Valery Gergiev, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra 2008 inhouse
Carlo Maria Giulini, Philharmonia Orchestra 1959 Decca
Carlo Maria Giulini, Philharmonia Orchestra 1961 BBC Legends
Mariss Jansons, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra 2004 broadcast
Paavo Jarvi, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra 2008 Telarc
Erich Klieber, Köln Radio Symphony Orchestra 1955
Zoltan Koczis, Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra 2010 broadcast
Serge Koussevitzky, Boston Symphony Orchestra 1946
Andrew Litton, Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra 2011 broadcast
Igor Markevitch, London Symphony Orchestra 1962 Decca
Igor Markevitch, National Orchestra of France 1958 broadcast
Jean Martinon, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra 1958 Decca
Willem Mengelberg, Amsterdam Concertgebouw 1941
Willem Mengelberg, Amsterdam Concertgebouw 1937 Telefunken
Dmitry Mitropoulos, New York Philharmonic 1956 CBS
Pierre Monteux, Boston Symphony Orchestra 1955
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1949 USSR studio
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1960 UK
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1971 March 30 USSR broadcast *
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1975 Japan
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1982 USSR
Evgeny Mravinsky, Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra 1982 USSR
Gennady Rozhdestvensky, London Philharmonic 2005 LPO label
Kurt Sanderling, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra 1979
Leonard Slatkin, France Radio Philharmonic Orchestra 2008 broadcast
Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra 1978 Proms broadcast
Leopold Stokowski, London Symphony Orchestra 1973 broadcast
Evgeny Svetlanov, USSR Symphony Orchestra 1967
George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra 1969 Blossom Fest broadcast
Vaclav Talich, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra 1955 Supraphon
Klaus Tennstedt, Philadelphia Orchestra 1982 broadcast
Arturo Toscanini, NBC Symphony Orchestra 1938 Oct 29 broadcast
Arturo Toscanini, Philadelphia Orchestra 1942

Maybe I should give it another listen. When you're used to a certain pace , it's sometimes difficult to adjust to something like Bernstein's vision. I seem to remember it was nearly 60 mins. long. I sometimes find the same challenge with Klemperer or Giulini. I'm more in the Toscannini camp. No messing about with the line, like Sinopoli or Thielemann were inclined to do.But they more often than not maintained a momentum and line. One of my favourite Bernstein recordings is Appalachian Spring with NYPO.I also love his Barber Violin Concerto with Isaac Stern with it's shimmeringly beautiful second movement.

Must confess I always preferred the Fifth, especially that extraordinary last movement, in which Pete generates more great tunes than many composers do in their entire lifetimes and uses them as throwaway lines.

Cantelli / Philharmonia is the one I would save from the flood. I also enjoy Jansons / Oslo and Karajan / BPO.

I have the Monteux performance on SACD which is elegant but a little inert. I did try the Bernstein performance and I agree about the passion but there is much self indulgence and I find the opening a little turgid. Shame as I really wanted to like it.

Just finished Ferenc Fricsay's 1959 DG recording with the Berlin RSO. Must be up there with the greats. Quite the opposite to lush, but beautifully judged and plenty of energy when needed. Also have his 1953 mono version, but haven't listened to it yet.

Markevitch on Philips just hit the doormat, but what with Cricket, visitors and the proms I probably won`t be able to listen to it for a few days....

The cricket commentary is ultimate radio and an art form in it`s own right, irrespective of the state of the match.
Anyway I have now listened to the Markevitch from 1960 and it is certainly one of the the best recordings I have heard - I shall probably have to get the whole set now as I am particularly fond of No.s 1 and 3.

advertisement

Back