advertisement

Your favourite duet Dream Team - actual or otherwise.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I think I've found my favourite duet Dream Team. I've probably known for some time who I'd choose, but the answer never really crystallised in my mind till a few moments ago. My favourite male and female duet Dream Team is Fassbaender and Wunderlich. I mean, can you imagine how incredible Das Lied would be if they performed together to raise the spirit of Mahler? And conducted by... okay, I admit, that's where things get tricky.

It just so happens they did actually perform together - there's an old clip on Youtube to prove it - but if you want to put a male and female vocalist together whose paths never actually crossed, that's absolutely fine because after all, it is our favourite male and female duet Dream Teams we're talking about.

I think I've found my favourite duet Dream Team. I've probably known for some time who would I'd choose, but the answer never crystallised in my mind till a few moments ago. My favourite male and female duet Dream Team is Fassbaender and Wunderlich. I mean, can you imagine how incredible Das Lied would be if they performed together to raise the spirit of Mahler? And conducted by... okay, that's where things get tricky.

It just so happens they did actually perform together - there's an old clip on Youtube to prove it - but if you want to bring a male and female vocalist together whose paths never actually crossed, that's absolutely fine because after all, it is our favourite male and female duet Dream Teams we're talking about.

Though I admire the sheer artistry of Callas and Di Stefano, I would still go for Bergonzi and Tebaldi. Their voices compliment each other beautifully and I constantly return to the sincerity of their Butterfly performance with Serafin, probably one of the most beautifully sung performances on disc.

Lauritz Melchior and Birgit Nilsson. For my money, the best Wagnerian heldentenor by a country mile, and my favourite soprano - possibly my favourite singer full stop. Hearing them together in The Ring would have been magnificent.

advertisement

Back