advertisement

Young DSD dac review

The Young MK2 uses the Cirus Logic cs3318-cqz 8 channel analogue volume control.

KR
Matt

OK thanks, not sure which chip Capri S2 uses, it's either the same one or a Burr Brown one (JR seem to have used both Cirrus & Burr Brown in their line up over the last 10 years), either way the result is seriously impressive. Based on this I expect this new Young DAC sounds very good.

OK thanks, not sure which chip Capri S2 uses, it's either the same one or a Burr Brown one (JR seem to have used both Cirrus & Burr Brown in their line up over the last 10 years), either way the result is seriously impressive. Based on this I expect this new Young DAC sounds very good.

And if you consider the price, I think it's a very compelling product.

Peter

From the review,
'An Easy Choice
Delivering PCM resolutions up to 32/384, DXD, 64x and 128x DSD, while acting as a digital preamp, the Young DSD DAC is a very capable package. I found its sound to be at once forgiving without sounding overly dark offering up a rich and rewarding sonic palette. The Young DSD DAC is like a comfy sofa of sound, inviting you in to stay as long as you'd like and play whatever music suits your mood. I count these qualities as being among the all-good variety.'

It doesn't lack any resolution, and it is extremely enjoyable to listen to ,a 'big' sound very quiet background and really rich tone.
Keith.
'

Yesterday, I visited with M2Tech's distributor in the UK and experienced the DAC close-up. I was immediately taken with its documentation, which reads much more like a computer software manual than anything else. It ticks the boxes, but is it any better or worse than other units in its price range? It is really hard to say. I found it rather intriguing that the DAC is outfitted with balanced outputs...mind you M2Tech does provide a pair of RCA adapters which is rather thoughtful.

DACs are truly subjective and are tied ever so closely to the electronics with which they are partnered. I have listened to so many DACs and auditioned equally as many in my system and I have gotten to a point where I'm not sure exactly what I want and expect to hear from them anymore.

I did my own bake-off at home and after a while forgot which was connected. To make matters worse, my Bel Canto Design amplifier has an integrated DAC and just for kicks i connected to that which makes my life a helluva lot easier - less cables with which to mess about. To my ears and friends of mine there was not ENOUGH of a difference to justify my outboard CEntrance DacMINI CX. I will say connecting my Mac Mini and M2Tech HiFace2 USB/SPDIF converter using a digital coaxial cable, sounded a damn sight better than connecting my Mac Mini using a TOSLINK cable from the computer's digital out to a Toslink adapter on the back of the amplifier.

Perhaps there is a mathematical formula tied to the relative cost of one's system, versus the cost of a DAC.
What is the proper percentage? For a £10,000 system, would a £1,000 DAC be sufficient? Is 10% enough? too much?

This DAC sells for £1050. Given all its qualities/features/functions is there a need for a more expensive DAC? The AURALIC Vega is 3 times the price and is being touted as the "one to beat", so then you have to wonder with what it brings to the table is £3000 the upper limit where percentages get tossed out the window?

Consider all this in future DAC discussions and purchases.

advertisement

Back