advertisement

Yamaha NS-1000M damping ?

tomek

pfm Member
NS1000 is damped with glass (mineral ?) wool. Is there any alternative ?

Polyester wool ? Natural wool ? Basotect ? They all have different acoustic characteristics.

I really would like to remove this old mineral wool from my living space ...

What would be the best (modern and ecological ...) way to damp the ns1000 ?

Anyway if that sort of thing is a concern... then the Beryllium drivers ought to be a much bigger issue to you.

There is no real need to change it, the speaker is sealed, so no chance of it polluting your environment.

If you must change it, the speaker is designed to be filled with stuffing, so replace it with a similarly densely stuffed alternative. Anything cheap will do, I sell some stuffing on my site that is carded properly and treated which will work. Don't buy anything expensive, it won't make any difference. Sure all the different available stuffings will act differently, however adding or removing a few grammes of stuffing makes much more difference than the type of stuffing to the sound.

You want Mundorf angels hair, only 600 quid for enough for a pair of yams. ..

As Stefan says, type will make sod all difference, take some out for a more reverberating bass, put more in for more damped bass.

However, either of those options will be acoustically sub optimal. Yamaha didn't invest hundreds of thousands on developing this speaker then p1ss it away on three quids worth of damping.

Last edited:
No you wouldn't expect it to sound clearer but too much stuffing will lower qtc and when qtc goes down, bass follows (easily modelled in software). The important thing is to keep it well away from the bass driver, because the closer it is, the more it will reduce qtc/bass. What stuffing doesn't do is increase the efffective box volume, that's a myth.

I don't know if these speakers had been messed with or if that's how Sony designed them but this guy got a large improvement when he removed some stuffing from his speakers - LINK

Saying all that, I'd be very surprised if Yamaha got it wrong in the NS1000.

Stuffing will above a certain point just take up internal volume-its important any filling is loose and open not packed tight.

Does stuffing and foam lining fulfil two different purposes?
Both damp the rear reflected cone output and help minimise standing waves-here different thicknesses and positioning plays a part.
In a reflex box of course the damping has to be kept away from the port opening.

Both damp the rear reflected cone output and help minimise standing waves-here different thicknesses and positioning plays a part.
In a reflex box of course the damping has to be kept away from the port opening.
I recently stripped out a pair of very early Ditton 25 cabs and was amazed by the copious amounts of foam that had been used in it. There was also spongy black bitumen damping stuck to the walls and some pretty sturdy cross-bracing, all stock as far as I can tell. Like the 66s, the foam at the top of the cab behind the tweeters is wedge-shaped, I think I read on diyaudio that it's shaped and positioned like this to absorb vertical standing waves? No foam is used on the floor of the cab, presumably to avoid interfering with the movement of the ABR. Anyway, apologies for the off-topic diversion!

advertisement

Back