advertisement

Yamaha CA-1010 Amplifier

Whaleblue

Southbound
Rather than pollute the NS-1000 thread further, I thought I’d start one specific to the Yammy amp.

From my previous post:

=====
Well, I won’t be going rackless after all, I don’t think!

After a frustrating hour and a half hunting for a pair of speaker cables to use with the amp (can one fit modern banana terminals to these amps?), I ended up having to make up a pair from some basic old QED cable. Anyway, that was all sorted.

There’s a synergy at work here I guess, with the CA-1010 and NS-1000Ms, that produces a very organic sound that I’m really loving. I’m not keen on words like ‘organic’ in this context, but I can’t think of any better one to summarise. Bass seems more enveloping, and upper mids have a greater delicacy. It sounds more real.

Of course, it has loads of knobs and switches, 90% of which are of no value to me!

But, it also has two VU meters that mesmerise with their largely synchronised swaying against subtle backlights.

This amp is a delight.
======

The amp remains a delight in principle, but is exhibiting some distortion in the left channel this evening. :(

I’ve contacted @toprepairman , and hopefully he’ll be able to sort it out.

Part of my reason for posting this thread is to document my journey into Classic-Amplifier-Land, but also to ask for any reassurance that you learned folk might be able to give!

I obviously turned it off immediately I noticed the distortion, and it’s not going back on until fixed!

Thats a bit of a bummer, the old Yammies are normally pretty bomb proof (I've got half a dozen Yamaha amps/receivers) never had problems with any of them. Hope its an easy fix.

An amplifier of that vintage will have many tired components. I had distortion and crackling noises from a Pioneer M-22 when I first acquired it. The DC offset was swinging all over the place. This was traced to a failing differential transistor. Along the way to restoration, I replaced all (bar reservoir) capacitors, rectifier diodes, trim pots and output transistors.

Vintage hifi is a bit like vintage cars. They might look pristine on the outside. But unless it is torn down and rebuilt (replacing any duff or worn bits) from the ground up, you never really know if it's totally sound.

Good luck with the repair.

Ive recently got rid of my valve pre/power set up and gone back to my Pioneer SA-9500 and Tannoy Eatons. With a Sony PS6750, they formed an (accidental) all 1976 (or thereabouts) rig that just really works. I reckon there is something to be said for period synergy.

Both the amp and the speakers have been refurbished and should give another solid 40 years of service. Kicking myself for selling the TT though.

Henry has replied that he’ll look at the amp for me (thanks Henry @toprepairman !) and I’ll take the opportunity to get the speaker terminals upgraded while he has it in.

Hopefully I’ll be back in business before too long.

Funny old world innit. I bought the Sony PS6750 from Richie (Martian Sunrise) to use with my Tannoy Eatons and a 70's Pioneer SA-8100 that I bought the following day.
After a week of sounding great but with a slight channel imbalance, I switched the Pioneer on and after ~30 secs the left channel faded out to a whisper, so that needs to go off to be repaired (in the meantime I pounced on a poorly scheduled ebay auction that finished on New Years Eve for a fully Quad serviced 33/303 at a good price, so all is not lost :D).

Lovely amp, Wb - I miss my CA-800 II, both its looks, including its walnut case, and its sound; mine needed a full service/recap. Good idea to replace the puny loudspeaker terminals.

Lovely amp, Wb - I miss my CA-800 II, both its looks, including its walnut case, and its sound; mine needed a full service/recap. Good idea to replace the puny loudspeaker terminals.

Thanks. It did sound wonderful with the NS1000Ms while it was working, and I’m looking forward to having it back to full fitness.

@Rug Doc put me onto the banana socket upgrade (much appreciated), and I’ve bought a set to be sent directly to Henry.

https://speaker-terminal.com/en/produkt/yamaha-ca-1010-speaker-terminal/

It will probably be the speaker relays not playing ball. Not a huge hassle.
They can be bought from eBay. Sometimes it can be the pre out switch on the back. The Yamaha section at Audiokarma has lots about 1010 and its siblings
I replaced all elcos on my 1010 for good quality components and it sounds very good, except the phono input which I find a bit grainy. Unfortunately I blew the unobtanium relays on the input and volume boards so I don't use it anymore...

They can be bought from eBay. Sometimes it can be the pre out switch on the back. The Yamaha section at Audiokarma has lots about 1010 and its siblings
I replaced all elcos on my 1010 for good quality components and it sounds very good, except the phono input which I find a bit grainy. Unfortunately I blew the unobtanium relays on the input and volume boards so I don't use it anymore...

No doubt repairable so long as originality is not too important to you...

advertisement

Back