advertisement

X100 vs X100s

Congratulations Gromit, it's a fab camera. Spend some time getting to know it and fine tuning all the options to suit yourself and it really can work for you IMO.:)

Thanks Julian - I certainly will.

I've been very impressed by the quality of the jpegs coming from it, and with a bit of tweaking here and there it seems possible to get very nice results straight off the camera, no further messing about needed.

Off to Lincoln to do some shopping today, so it'd be silly not to take the lil'Fuj with me and take a wander up Steep Hill. :cool:

Congratulations. It's a quirky yet wonderful camera when you understand its inner workings. Slightly less quirky with v2 :D I know it's not about the gear but I'm sure my photography has improved since I got mine.

Thanks (and to Martin too).

Mine's running 1.30 so I'll throw 2.0 at it tomorrow, especially if it means the AF improves.

What an absolute jewel of a camera too - the sort that just makes one want to go out and take photos. Mine's done c100 today, been fun playing with the film settings especially. Have done plenty of RAW files but the JPEGs are excellent on their own.

Congratulations. It's a quirky yet wonderful camera when you understand its inner workings. Slightly less quirky with v2 :D I know it's not about the gear but I'm sure my photography has improved since I got mine.

Thanks CB. :)

I've just popped Firmware 2.0 into mine and it's made the camera feel a bit snappier (if you'll pardon the pun). The closer non-macro focus helps too as this is one thing which wasn't ideal before the update. It did re-set everything on the camera but it only takes a minute or 3 to put it all back.

I'm one chuffed Fuji-customer so far. :)

I just updated my x100 to v2.0 firmware and it's great.

The macro thing that really bugged me has been fixed.

But the real game changer is the 'Focus Peak Highlight' function they have copied from x100s and x20. I never knew that existed and it's such a smart and simple idea that will make me use the manual focus mode alot more (I never used it until now to be honest). It feels like they have modified the way the focus ring responds to the turning speed but I might be imaging that??

It really makes the x100 a cracking second hand buy now the x100s has softened values...I'd say it's the best £300-400 you'd spend on a camera.

Me too in that case, I remarked on that up-thread. It's definitely more responsive and finally makes the thing useful.

Yes, I did try manual focus when I first got the camera and basically gave up like many others did. It was a shame to do that as the x100 can really teach novices about focus and depth of field.

The 'Focus peak Highlights' thing is just brilliant, there really are some clever dicks in this world. I'm trying it out now and nailing the focus every time...

This is what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes from what I can gather it appears Fuji have completely recoded the firmware operation of the focus ring. It's actually quite good now instead of unusable. I've never used used Focus Peaking before but I really like it. Very useful in poor light and probably in other situations I've not yet encountered.

Me too in that case, I remarked on that up-thread. It's definitely more responsive and finally makes the thing useful.

Thanks for sharing the info re the manual focus improvements with v2.0. I may be tempted to give it another try after having a go with pre-v2.0 and thinking 'eh?'. :)

I just love this camera - popped along to see some old muso mates in rehearsal at Birmingham Symphony Hall earlier this week and the pictures the Fuji managed to capture in difficult light were very pleasing, to say the least.

The only thing I still struggle with is toggling between the flash modes. I find the round wheel too sensitive. It's a shame that couldn't be set to one of the function keys (st least I don't think it can?). I often try to throw in a fill in flash shot for good measure but just can't get the 'forced flash' more selected as fast as I want.

Anyone got any tips?

The only thing I still struggle with is toggling between the flash modes. I find the round wheel too sensitive. It's a shame that couldn't be set to one of the function keys (st least I don't think it can?). I often try to throw in a fill in flash shot for good measure but just can't get the 'forced flash' more selected as fast as I want.

Anyone got any tips?
The wheel is too small to be accurate I find so I use left/right click to traverse the flash menu instead.

The wheel is too small to be accurate I find so I use left/right click to traverse the flash menu instead.

Me too :)

I don't use the manual focus at all. Don't see the point. I just set the focus point to the centre, lock with the shutter release and recompose. Its by far and away the quickest way of obtaining focus for the majority my type of photography. If I am anticipating a subject somewhere in frame, I just prefocus on something else I know will be at the same distance and re-compose/wait, focus locked. It works quite well.

For exposure, I always use aperture priority and fine-tune the histogram with exposure compensation. Auto ISO mostly set to base ISO and allow it up to what I am happy with given the situation, min shutter speed set to 125th.

Most of my shooting is between f2 and f5.6.

It seems to me that technically, every shot I apply the above technique to comes off technically. I am very, very happy with my X100. I hope the above helps others a little.

J

That's pretty much how I use mine. Though since the v2.0 firmware update I do use manual focus more now that it actually works. I find it very useful in some situations. Looking forward to trying it with my Raynox.

I don't use the manual focus at all. Don't see the point. I just set the focus point to the centre, lock with the shutter release and recompose. Its by far and away the quickest way of obtaining focus for the majority my type of photography. If I am anticipating a subject somewhere in frame, I just prefocus on something else I know will be at the same distance and re-compose/wait, focus locked. It works quite well.

For exposure, I always use aperture priority and fine-tune the histogram with exposure compensation. Auto ISO mostly set to base ISO and allow it up to what I am happy with given the situation, min shutter speed set to 125th.

Most of my shooting is between f2 and f5.6.

It seems to me that technically, every shot I apply the above technique to comes off technically. I am very, very happy with my X100. I hope the above helps others a little.

J

The only issue I'm having with manual focus is its easy to knock the aperature wheel, especially from the 'A' setting. It can readily be pushed into f16 from there.

I have started using the little left/right toggle lever above the wheel to select the flash then press shutter button to save the selection.

That way, I only have to use the pesky little wheel once...i.e. Single quick press to the right to get into flash menu but even that can be tricky to execute.

Is that what you meant?

I don't use the manual focus at all. Don't see the point. I just set the focus point to the centre, lock with the shutter release and recompose. Its by far and away the quickest way of obtaining focus for the majority my type of photography.

Me too. :)

It's once in ten blue moons I've used manual focus on the DSLR's I've owned, and the Fuji's auto is so good now (with v2.0) that I don't see myself using it on that either.

Great minds eh... :)

The only time I use manual focus is when the camera is on a tripod or when I am using a DOF scale for hyper focal distance.

J

ver 2.01 is available for the X100. This was annoying but easily worked around. Good that Fuji fixed it. I suspect this will be the last update for the X100. Though there are rumours that v3.0 will bring a full frame sensor upgrade.

The firmware update Ver.2.01 from ver.2.00 incorporates the following issue:
The phenomenon is fixed that in Manual Focus mode, repeated pressing the shutter button halfway or repeated recording images could move focus position and the distance indicator to near side.

How accurate is the framing on the X100?

I'm assuming the optical viewfinder looks and functions like a regular rangefinder (ie a bit hit-and-miss) - but does the EVF have a 100% view and accurate framelines?

Guy,

I'm assuming the optical viewfinder looks and functions like a regular rangefinder (ie a bit hit-and-miss) - but does the EVF have a 100% view and accurate framelines?
The frame lines move as the X100 focuses nearer or farther, so they are pretty close approximation of what the sensor captures, but for 100% accurate framing you need to switch the viewfinder to electronic where what you see is what you get.

Joe

advertisement

Back