advertisement

Writing to USB Disk Attached To Raspberry Pi

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
Hi folks,

I'm using an RPi 4/Volumio with music stored on an SSD drive in my second system. I can see the disk & music via my Macbook over the network, I can copy & download the music files, but although I've set permissions to read & write on the disc, it will not let me write music files to the disk.

The SSD is formatted in Mac O/S Extended Journaled & I did read somewhere this needs to be Non-Journaled, but that option is no longer available under the latest O/S. OK, it's a relatively small inconvenience to unplug the disc & copy files across from the Macbook, but I'd like to find a way to do this directly over the network. Any suggestions gratefully received!

I have a Pi set up with a HDD formatted as ExFat. Picore Player rather than Volumio. Not the same set up as yours so this reply is probably not of much use.
Anyhow.
The HDD can be seen and I have files copied back and forth both from my Windows Desktop and my MacBook Air laptop.

Hi folks,

I'm using an RPi 4/Volumio with music stored on an SSD drive in my second system. I can see the disk & music via my Macbook over the network, I can copy & download the music files, but although I've set permissions to read & write on the disc, it will not let me write music files to the disk.

The SSD is formatted in Mac O/S Extended Journaled & I did read somewhere this needs to be Non-Journaled, but that option is no longer available under the latest O/S. OK, it's a relatively small inconvenience to unplug the disc & copy files across from the Macbook, but I'd like to find a way to do this directly over the network. Any suggestions gratefully received!
I would reformat as fat32.

Hi folks,

It is possible to disable journaling on an HFS+ partition without affecting existing data. This used to be hidden away in the OS X Disk Utility File menu (revealed via the Option key), however, I've noticed that somewhere along the line this has been relegated to terminal command only.

# diskutil list​
(lists all mounted drives and their volume names)​

# diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/VolumeName
(disables journaling on the named VolumeName)

The SSD is formatted in Mac O/S Extended Journaled & I did read somewhere this needs to be Non-Journaled, but that option is no longer available under the latest O/S. OK, it's a relatively small inconvenience to unplug the disc & copy files across from the Macbook, but I'd like to find a way to do this directly over the network.
I am not sure I get all of the details above and both Volumio and the Mac and its O/S are unfamiliar to me. However a thought occurs to me which may or may not help.

Does permissions set to "read & write on the disk" mean file sytem permissions, or file sharing permissions, or both?

On my network kit (Linux O/S using Samba file sharing) I have to make sure both sets of permissions allow writing, but I am not sure if these are separate settings on your kit.

It is possible to disable journaling on an HFS+ partition without affecting existing data. This used to be hidden away in the OS X Disk Utility File menu (revealed via the Option key), however, I've noticed that somewhere along the line this has been relegated to terminal command only.

# diskutil list​
(lists all mounted drives and their volume names)​

# diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/VolumeName
(disables journaling on the named VolumeName)
Thanks Craig. So I can carry this out without losing the data on the disk?

Thanks Craig. So I can carry this out without losing the data on the disk?
You're welcome, Tony.

The short answer is, "Yes, you can disable journaling without losing any stored data". The journal is just that, a hidden database of file metadata that is used by the system to help recover from errors, such as those that might happen during improper disk disconnection (such as not ejecting the drive first, system crash, power failure, bad USB cable, etc.). Each time that a journaled drive is mounted the system compares the journal against each volumes file table with any discrepancies being among the many reasons that might trigger the usual "Disk not ejected properly" message. Although barely noticeable with SSDs, this is why there is often a somewhat longer delay than is usual before a just plugged in external drive will show up in Finder (or on the desktop should displaying externally connected drives be enabled). The enableJournal vs. disableJournal diskutil command options simply turn this option on or off on a volume by volume basis, no data destructive reformatting is involved or required.

Then again, it is always best to have a backup copy of any and all data that you really don't want to lose, regardless (you knew that was coming, right?)

advertisement

Back