advertisement

Worst picture ever, but still recognisable

mudlark

nearly half a clue
osprey_zps52eb34c1.jpg

I'm brilliant at taking terrible pictures.

th_pipit_zps6030d82a.jpg

Even when it's almost right a twig gets in the way...

What's the best cross over camera for taking pictures of birds?

osprey_zps52eb34c1.jpg

I'm brilliant at taking terrible pictures.

th_pipit_zps6030d82a.jpg

Even when it's almost right a twig gets in the way...

What's the best cross over camera for taking pictures of birds?

Any of the bridge cameras from Panasonic or Canon would be fine. I used to use an FZ9. The thing you need is reach (equivalent focal length) and optical image stabilisation. How about a Lumix FZ200?

example on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23400335@N03/8253853282/

Thanks Cliffe, my digiscoping leaves much to be desired. I can't see me using a DSLR. The other option would be a digiscoping adapter. This would be £500 plus a reasonable DSLR say £900 in total. Or a cheaper upgrade adapter for my older opticron scope. This would still be £500 and no automatic focus or stabiliser so I would need to carry two tripods.

Thinking about this having typed it all out, your recommendation is now seen to be good. I'll leave this drivel for the benefit (!) of any other prospective occasional birdy photographers.

The next problem is another year's worth of waiting to get such a good display of an Osprey...... The same trip threw up a great view of a cuckoo, which hasn't happened to me in 55 years......bugger.

cuckoo_zps01eb6a65.jpg.html

Not easy to get photos of Ospreys. I spent over 8 hours in a hide recently trying to get one catching a fish. We got there at 5 am and the one and only fish taken was at 5.05.....just as we were getting set up!!

I am going back there in a few weeks and hope for better luck. This one was taken a long way from the bird in dreadful weather and in diabolical light.

Untitled http://www.flickr.com/people/90892306@N05/

Just as an aside, I've been moderated on another forum for mentioning the above bird with a site. Natural England have got at me. I'm not impressed. I think they are crackers. However, I will be complying with their request. I leave this information for other bird photographers on here.

Would see these birds eating or resting after a short hop across the Channel prior to turning right and heading up North.

Just as an aside, I've been moderated on another forum for mentioning the above bird with a site. Natural England have got at me. I'm not impressed. I think they are crackers. However, I will be complying with their request. I leave this information for other bird photographers on here.
Ditto a few years back when I mentioned where some photos were taken. I understand the reason but in this case the birds are on an island and I was given the location by RSPB staff.

Hi folks,

I went to try the panasonic as suggested, but was distracted by a canon SX50 and a Sony jobby. The panasonic was very light and nice to handle, but the canon has even more high levels of magnification. The panasonic has good aperture performance.

Has anyone got any help for me?

I would like birder's views if possible.

for shooting birds I tended to use a crop sensor Nikon DSLR with a 70-200 lens and a 1.7*telephoto multiplier. For a while I used a 200-400 zoom, then I acquired a 300mm F2.8 prime, which was best of all of them.

If it was my money I'd choose the Lumix over the Canon.

How about this it's an upmarket bridge camera - I dont know anything about bird photography or whether this will do what you want but, I'm in awe of the people that do get great nature photos, so good luck!

advertisement

Back