advertisement

WitchHat 82 SuperLink

We've not tried it on a 102, it's purely speculative at this stage. I suspect it will end up very similar to the 82.

I thought I would provide an update on the NAC82 Superlink (Recap: NAIM NAC82, NAP250, Supercap, NAPSC, Headline, HiCap, Linn LP12 and Sonus Faber Olympica II)

The vocal detail has refined and is very impressive a little more laid back than the first listen both CD and HD Audio have moved up a level to me. Everything seems more detailed, I can hear Adel breath on tracks, which I had only previously heard on an ATC SCM50 system. My listening room is compromised so I am sure things would be better in a decent room. It is definitely far easier to pick out individual instruments and place them within the room. I've been listening to Adel, Led Zep, Traffic, Foals and Florence and the machine. Whole Lotta Love had my hair on end, its like listen to some tracks for the first time again. Also the sound stage has improved and there is a level of detail in some tracks I hadn't noticed before.

Poor descriptions, so apologies for the lack of literary talent. In all I am very please with the improvement, others have asked this I did have all my Naim kit serviced at the same time.

Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to post an update - the detail provided about your satisfaction, and listening enjoyment, is clear and understood. IMHO.

It is a helpful that you have provided some information about your listening library. Lots of kit serviced and I guess some further improvement may be forthcoming.

Nice to get back on to the subject and look forward to contributions from "the many" NAC82 Superlink modification Customers who are out there.

Superlink Upgrade including all the cabling and link plugs is £450
A NAC82 service is £200.

ok I'm not going to read this post anymore. I'm in Iceland (photography) and my Superlinked NAC82 is waiting for me at home.......frustrating or what.
Still, it'll make leaving Iceland on Tuesday a lot more bearable!

ok I'm not going to read this post anymore. I'm in Iceland (photography) and my Superlinked NAC82 is waiting for me at home.......frustrating or what.
Still, it'll make leaving Iceland on Tuesday a lot more bearable!

I'd love to see some of the pics. Yearning to return to Iceland after visiting years ago. It's an absolutely fascinating country.

Hi Mark, once I get back and process them I'll put some onto google photos then send an invite to the Witch Hat email address for your access. Obviously all of this after I set my system back up with the SuperLink mod!

We (four photographer friends) visited Southern Iceland Iceland in 2016 so decided to visit the West this time. Very strong aurora here a couple of nights ago that was amazing and as good as the one we seen from Northern Norway last year.

Well I've been listening to the Superlink mod (done to my NAC82) for nearly two weeks now and I'm very, very impressed. Rest of kit is LP12, Khan, Ittok, DV 20X2, Radikal, S'Cap, 135s and SBLs. I'm probably not the best in describing differences to sound but here goes.....

I didn't think the bass went 'lower' but it is more defined and 'crisper', Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side being an excellent example for hearing this improvement. Vocals are certainly clearer and more true to life with background vocals by DB, Ronno and the Thunder Thighs on Transformer really shining. The biggest difference IMHO was how it untangled more complex pieces so that instruments were separated with more 'clarity' (perhaps the wider soundstage that Andyl mentioned).

I was most shocked to hear DB's Blackstar had even more below the surface with subtle bass lines being more evident, definitely a big grin on my face when I played this LP. Playing DB's Starman again made me just immerse myself into the man's genius, I've never heard the ZSATSFM LP (72 1st pressing) so exciting until now. One of my latest LP's is Melody Gardot Live. The recording now adding to the intimate atmosphere so much that when closing my eyes I'd have sworn she was in the room, her voice so clean, deep and sexy sounding (to me anyway!). If you haven't heard this 3 LP set I urge you to.

Overall you'd be right in thinking I am more than happy with this modification (I did have it serviced at the same time even though it probably wasn't ready for it). I'd long been looking for a good NAC52 but for the price and risk decided against this route. I have heard a friend's 52 and it has always impressed me. Without evidence I'd likely guess that this mod has bridged the gap massively, and so for value for money the 'mod has it'. I'm sure if you played them side by side the 52 would still prove the better but now not as much. With the mod, listening to one and the other a second night I bet most people would be hard pressed to distinguish between them.

If you're sitting on the fence wondering whether to get this done, don't, just do it!

Many thanks to Witch Hat Audio.

If Teddy's Supercap has the same power and signal arrangement as Naim's, and I can't see why it wouldn't, then it ought to work just perfectly.

Ian

Thank you for posting your review of the Superlink NAC82 modification and it's a pleasure to hear of a second successful outcome where the recipiant has been "delighted" with the sound of the work done.

In reading both accounts it would appear that the Superlink modification does what it "says on the tin" ....... I realise that the NAC82s received a service at the same time - and why not when the units are being subjected to other works - whilst the OP I believe had a range of other Naim equipment serviced at the same time.

There is little doubt in my mind that the concept of the "Superlink" modification would - and reportedly does - improve/release the performance potential of the NAC82 for what should be considered a reasonable outlay for an upgrade.

That we have heard from two owners of the eight NAC82 to receive the "Superlink" modification is a bit disappointing to me but it may be that the others are not PFM members.

Well done to Witch Hat Audio for devising a successful and economically viable upgrade to release the full potential for what has been, in the past & in some quarters, a much under rated Naim preamplifier.

Hopefully there may be further owner inputs forthcoming in the near future

Oddly, the Naim sanctioned method of connecting the 82 to the supercap with two leads does result in two 0v connections to the supercap. They're needed for two separate hicaps but I never understood why the connection was there in the supercap solely for the NAC82.

So if/when I finally replace my 2 x HC with a SC, should I get out the side cutters and remove the -ve wire in the P/S2 SNAIC, thus leaving a single -ve line in the P/S1 SNAIC?

So if/when I finally replace my 2 x HC with a SC, should I get out the side cutters and remove the -ve wire in the P/S2 SNAIC, thus leaving a single -ve line in the P/S1 SNAIC?

Personally I'd remove the -ve wire from PS2 socket on the Supercap. That way you won't inadvertently use the SNAIC without an earth - that could be expensive.

Personally I'd remove the -ve wire from PS2 socket on the Supercap. That way you won't inadvertently use the SNAIC without an earth - that could be expensive.

Discussing exactly that with a colleague this morning. Concensus was to break the P/S2 -ve wire right back at the star point at the caps.

Just unsolder it from the socket and put a sleeve over it and tie it out of the way.

Well, I've today removed the two Olive HC from the 82 and replaced them with an Olive SC.

It's shockingly good!

Reactions: MJS
Received my 82 Mod back from Witch Hat today. I knew before hand that there was going to be a significant improvement having had all my amps serviced a couple of years ago and the purchase of interlink cables (these were a big improvement, now not needed.)

Back to the 82, everything was bigger, deeper, clearer and wider. It felt as if my listening room was 20 feet wide and about the same tall. It was more musical and felt that there was a lot more harmony. More separation of instruments and much clearer standout backing vocals. My first LP of choice was Led Zeppelin 4, an album that I know well and have played 100s of times. For me its a great album but not big and a bit boxy. Well the 82 opened it right up. Bonams cymbals on Stairway To Heaven were clear and not just crashes. In my opinion its a great value for money upgrade. Thought about it for a long time before I had the modification because I hate unplugging everything.

I have a Supercap and 2x135s.

advertisement

Back