advertisement

WitchHat 82 SuperLink

AndyI

Collected my modified 82 this weekend and I am impressed with the improvement. I am not good with audio analogies but it does sound clearer with more depth.

I wondered if anyone else has this mod and what they thought of it?

I've had the Superlink mod done on my 282 so that it can benefit from ten rails from a Supercap rather than just four. A couple of link plugs are supplied so the amp can still be powered by a Hicap for example or direct connection to Nap 250 as before, so no change in connectivity.

There is a significant improvement in clarity and differentiation. For example, vocal inflections are more evident and it is much easier to distinguish between singers in a group. Words in a song that had previously been difficult to discern are now much clearer. Overall you can hear "deeper into the mix" and the sound remains very engaging.

So a worthwhile upgrade in my view at reasonable cost.

I must say, these Witch Hat mods to Naim’s pre-amps sound excellent. I will have to check what they can do for my 72 and how it could integrate with my existing Ryan Sound Labs and Avondale mods.

I've had the Superlink mod done on my 282 so that it can benefit from ten rails from a Supercap rather than just four. A couple of link plugs are supplied so the amp can still be powered by a Hicap for example or direct connection to Nap 250 as before, so no change in connectivity.

There is a significant improvement in clarity and differentiation. For example, vocal inflections are more evident and it is much easier to distinguish between singers in a group. Words in a song that had previously been difficult to discern are now much clearer. Overall you can hear "deeper into the mix" and the sound remains very engaging.

So a worthwhile upgrade in my view at reasonable cost.

John, after the modification on your 282, are you still using a NAPSC for digital circuits?

M.

Yes NAPSC still used. I think Witch Hat's aim was to retain all the original connectivity but with the advantage of using all the rails from the SC for those using this power supply.

Yes NAPSC still used. I think Witch Hat's aim was to retain all the original connectivity but with the advantage of using all the rails from the SC for those using this power supply.

Yes, that was the aim. We wanted to make it fully backwards compatible with every way of powering the NAC82 like it was from the factory. For that reason we left the NAPSC as it was - every NAC82 was sold with one. It also means that it's fully reversible should anyone want to go back to factory spec, but no-one has yet. It uses 10 rails of the Supercap, much like the NAC252 does because we added rails to specific circuit areas.

For the record, you don't need a Supercap straight away with this mod, we supply a cable and a set of link plugs which together with Naim's own mean you can power the NAC82 from:
  • One rail from a power-amp like the NAP180 or 200
  • Two rails from a single Hicap
  • Four rails from 2 Hicaps, or one supercap
  • Ten rails from a Supercap
How's that for versatile?

Andyl ... it is good to hear that your "Superlink" modification has been a success - and there is no technical reason why it should not be. From a report some time ago from a 282 modification it was indicated that it may take three or so days to come "on song".

May I ask what the rest of your system is and what you are powering the NAC82 with. Information gathered would indicate that you are one of three people to have had this modification done on a Naim NAC82 and to date the first to have given feedback on PFM.

Cirkus, my system is as follows:

Resolution Audio Cantata 2
AURALiC Aries Mini
NAC 82 - Olive
Supercap - Olive
NAP250 - Olive
HiCap - Olive
Headline - Olive
LP12 - Needs setting up properly and I am not sure how to do it properly since ruining my last stylus

Agree with the previous post the vocals are more details and I think there is more bass but I only really noticed that on the Black Stone Cherry and comparing it with my work rig

Work Rig: Qobuz HD, iFi - iDSD, iFi - iUSB3.0, Shure SE846 with Snugs

Mine's just been done and returned. Only problem is I'm in Iceland until next Wednesday. Can't wait to get home, set up and listen to it!

No, you are right, that’s an error - you can’t power any Naim pre-amp from a Nap250 (or 135s).

I haven't tried it since having the Witch Hat mod done but the website says:

"........therein lies the real beauty of this mod: it is designed from the outset to have complete backwards compatibility. We provide 2 link plugs so you can use this with a Hicap, two Hicaps or even just being powered from the power amp."

Ah, that will be the power amps that allow such - the Nap90 and 140 for example. The 250 inherently doesn’t have the ability/connections to power a pre-amp. It’s not that Witch Hat have limited such a connection option but more that it never existed in the first place.

If the amp has a 4 pin DIN then it will power a pre-amp, those with XLR inputs do not. The only exception to this I believe is the NAP100 which has a 4 pin DIN and no power supply on it.

direct connection to Nap 250 as before,
Are you sure about this?

No, you are right, that’s an error - you can’t power any Naim pre-amp from a Nap250 (or 135s).

You can't use a 250 to power your pre-amp... but you can connect a 250 direct to the pre-amp rather than via the hicap, or supercap in the case of the superlink mod. I's not the recommended Naim way, but some, me included, reckon that direct connection improves the sound :)

Yes, the direct to 250 connection is mentioned in our extensive connection guide we supply with the pre-amp.

Oddly, the Naim sanctioned method of connecting the 82 to the supercap with two leads does result in two 0v connections to the supercap. They're needed for two separate hicaps but I never understood why the connection was there in the supercap solely for the NAC82.

PS - If using a NAPSC with a NAC102 then we can apply this mod that pre-amp too. It would work with a single amp, one hicap or 10 rails from a supercap. You'd lose the ability to power the digital circuitry from the same power supply as the audio though.

advertisement

Back