advertisement

Will we get charged tax / Vat from EU to UK now?

I can't find any helpful reference to VAT or 30% on the P&O website, or on the linked Gov.uk website. As VAT is 20%, if there was a special rate of 30% introduced for booze, that would wipe out any Duty savings.

There are obviously some differences between simple import and bringing stuff back yourself, which may or may not affect booze.

I am betting that imports will get VAT added, but will I be able to buy VAT-free or have to pay VAT twice, once in the EU where I buy and once on import into the UK?

........ In the end you will have less choice and will probably have to pay more............

I suspect that more than plenty of us foresaw that as being an inescapable fact.

Presumably any trader that does not register but sends goods to the UK, will have UK VAT slapped on their stuff at point of import as they will not have collected UK VAT already, so double VAT.

Oh well - I always complain in the supermarket that there is too much choice. I mean 2 aisles for breakfast cereals come on we were all surviving in the days of Rice Crispies Cornflakes Shreddies Weetabix or Meusli right?? :)

Maybe a more limited choice will be more relaxing once we get over the fact that it’s annoying

Like now I need only browse UK classifieds / dealers - which is less time consuming better for my iPhone RSI from over scrolling!! :)

I am completely against Brexit on sheer principle, rather than any real deep seated knowledge on the pros or cons..... but now it’s done maybe some good will come out of it??

Like now I need only browse UK classifieds / dealers - which is less time consuming better for my iPhone RSI from over scrolling!! :)

I am completely against Brexit on sheer principle, rather than any real deep seated knowledge on the pros or cons..... but now it’s done maybe some good will come out of it??
There's a series of threads on here dedicated to listing these upsides, but despite running to thousands of pages it has not come up with much.

Breakfast cereals will almost all, perhaps all, be made in the UK, so a significant, if any, reduction in aisle space dedicated to them is unlikely to be an up-side.

As someone still living living in the EU (Finland) I've obviously been interested in how things work nowadays for someone who wants to buy items from the UK and import them to the EU. I've been a fan of British hifi for quite a while and owned a lot of gear - Naim, ProAc, Harbeth, Celef among other brands. Since January 1st everything imported from the UK will have VAT added (24% over here, yup, that's a lot) and so it's getting significantly more difficult for us EU citizens to support these companies and keep them in business. There will also be the customs tariff added to everything costing over 22€, but that's relatively small compared to the VAT.

Since January 1st everything imported from the UK will have VAT added

As an export from the UK, in all probability, you need not pay UK VAT, but the rules on that have changed and it may well be up to the exporter here to not charge it. In the past, hassle for sure, you could claim UK VAT back if you were outside the EU.

There is some explanation on the latest link above.

Reactions: eka
As an export from the UK, in all probability, you need not pay UK VAT, but the rules on that have changed and it may well be up to the exporter here to not charge it. In the past, hassle for sure, you could claim UK VAT back if you were outside the EU.

Thanks, that's probably the case with regards to new gear. Buying second hand from the pfm classifieds will be quite a bit more expensive from now on though...

There will also be the customs tariff added to everything costing over 22€, but that's relatively small compared to the VAT.

I think I’ve seen a figure of 2.5% for this tariff, but am unsure if it’s a general tariff or if it depends on the products.

Anyone know exactly the tariffs to be charged?

.sjb

Thanks, that's probably the case with regards to new gear. Buying second hand from the pfm classifieds will be quite a bit more expensive from now on though...

Apologies - yes, sadly VAT will be payable!!! (As ever it was for anything coming from outside of the EU, albeit with a tiny VAT/duty-free allowance for us in the UK.

I think I’ve seen a figure of 2.5% for this tariff, but am unsure if it’s a general tariff or if it depends on the products.

Anyone know exactly the tariffs to be charged?

Customs tarriff implies one of or both of two things - a tariff or a duty and they vary with the classification (or whatever UK C&ES call it) of the item. Somewhere online, there will be a tariff and duty figure (if any) for electronics, from wherever. Duty payable on electronics imported into the UK from the US/Japan or wherever non-EU, prior to Brexit was low single figures % - I have paid it several times, but took no notice of the % - it had to be paid, so it was just paid and it was swamped by VAT anyway.

Breakfast cereals will almost all, perhaps all, be made in the UK, so a significant, if any, reduction in aisle space dedicated to them is unlikely to be an up-side.

Ha :) Yes ‘twas meant purely as an analogy, that less choice might actually be a good thing. We are always happy with what we have until some new choices that we didn’t need or want come along.... ;)

maybe the EU individual will have to claim it (uk vat) back from the UK customs?

All I know is, if I'm buying secondhand hifi from ebay uk to be delivered to Ireland, A piece of hifi for £1500, i will have to pay £331.90 in import charges!!! Totally ridiculous, it time to close my Ebay and Amazon uk accounts.

For used items, yes, but still think if buying new, you shouldn't pay twice.

But then, I guess, most interest here is in the used market...

You might think so. However it's not necessarily the case. I know for a fact that the majority of the freeze dried fruit in there is made in France. I know this because I worked in the factory.

By the same token, you know Baxter's of Speyside. A famous British brand since Year Dot. Tinned soups, jams, preserves, etc. Their pickled onions? Made at their factory in Poland, using vinegar brewed in Lichfield, UK.

Oh well - I always complain in the supermarket that there is too much choice. I mean 2 aisles for breakfast cereals come on we were all surviving in the days of Rice Crispies Cornflakes Shreddies Weetabix or Meusli right?? :)

Maybe a more limited choice will be more relaxing once we get over the fact that it’s annoying
Porridge was good enough to get us through 2 world wars, it's good enough now! I shall make mine with water and Carnation tinned milk as a treat for weekends, and hum the theme from "Dambusters" as I do so.

Ha ha ha ha ha. I suspect the poor might get thinner. Does that count?

advertisement

Back