advertisement

Wiim Pro now Roon certified

Are you entirely sure about this? I have a call into my mate at LinkPlay (Wiim) as I have the Wiim Pro here running the latest firmware/software. I rebooted the device. I disconnected and reconnected the device through the Wiim Home app on my iPhone and there is no mention of Roon. I went ahead and restarted the Roon Server to let it scan and find all devices on the network and the only way it can see/connect to the Wiim Pro is through Chromecast and/or Airplay.

If indeed it is certified it is NOT being seen as Roon Ready.
When I hear back from my mate, I shall keep you all apprised.

Are you entirely sure about this? I have a call into my mate at LinkPlay (Wiim) as I have the Wiim Pro here running the latest firmware/software. I rebooted the device. I disconnected and reconnected the device through the Wiim Home app on my iPhone and there is no mention of Roon. I went ahead and restarted the Roon Server to let it scan and find all devices on the network and the only way it can see/connect to the Wiim Pro is through Chromecast and/or Airplay.

If indeed it is certified it is NOT being seen as Roon Ready.
When I hear back from my mate, I shall keep you all apprised.
Yes I got an email. Update should be rolling out

So, we are clear. It has been officially certified by Roon but has YET to be disseminated via a software upgrade.
OK, I'll keep a watch for an update.

I saw an instagram post from Roon on this so it must be real.

Great news and a probably a better alternative than a Sonos Port or an older Squeezebox for secondary rooms.

The price is about what it should be for a simple solid state transport.

I saw an Instagram post from Roon on this so it must be real.

Great news and probably a better alternative than a Sonos Port or an older Squeezebox for secondary rooms.

The price is about what it should be for simple solid-state transport.

Yes, the price is so right, it is a breeze to set up and once it is Roon Ready it will ell even more. It already works as an "OTHER DEVICE" visible by Roon via Chromecast. At some point, I'd like for there to be a version of the unit WITHOUT an internal DAC and in its place a USB port so any DAC can be connected directly. And yes, I have spoken to LinkPlay (Wiim) directly about this. They did not say NO. :)

Just checked their forum, and the firmware is being rolled out in batches over the weekend.

What missing for me is in the “thinking about it roadmap” SMB music and not having to use a DNLA server.

It is 22:50 here in Columbus, Ohio USA and I have managed to update my WiiM Pro and have it be recognized as a ROON Ready device.

I,too, am in the USA and have successfully completed the update. No problems, sounds just as good as a Roon endpoint as it did with the native Wiim app. I like Roon a lot more though.

To be fair, I have been running the WiiM Pro connected to Roon these past few months via the Chromecast protocol as an "Other Network" device. And now running the WiiM Pro as a Roon Ready device, sonically there is not much, if any difference between the RAAT network protocol and Chromecast at 24/96. The Roon Ready certification will no doubt help Linkplay sell more of the devices and for those individuals yearning to play files at 24/192 they will no longer be so constrained.

advertisement

Back