advertisement

Wiim mini

Tell us more. I sometimes have dropouts on Radio Paradise. Tidal works perfectly, though.
I have an Ethernet connection but WiFi was still switched on. Turned it off and all was ok. I also think the Bluetooth connection from the IPad had caused some issues.

The real test here is that I’m not missing my Squeezebox Touch. I like the in built Dac of the Pro plus. It suits my listening. The Sabre felt a little brighter to me. Listening to Radio 3 and it has a nice sound that may displace my tuner. I’ll have to compare a little more. Really nice with Qobuz and I’m now taking advantage of my Amazon account by integrating Amazon Music. Great stuff. About time at a company produced a product like this at such a good price. Think it will continue to grow its audience.

The real test here is that I’m not missing my Squeezebox Touch. I like the in built Dac of the Pro plus. It suits my listening. The Sabre felt a little brighter to me. Listening to Radio 3 and it has a nice sound that may displace my tuner. I’ll have to compare a little more. Really nice with Qobuz and I’m now taking advantage of my Amazon account by integrating Amazon Music. Great stuff. About time at a company produced a product like this at such a good price. Think it will continue to grow its audience.
Picked mine up today from RS. Sounding better than I expected, nicely dynamic and yes a tad brighter to me too than the SBT. Being hyper critical I would say that cymbals sound a little rough but for the money it is an ace box of tricks.

The Amazon repository of the albums I've bought is suddenly useful and they sound very good to me streamed, the radio stations also sound good.

I'm hoping to find an iPeng like facility to flexibly list and select from the 1TB of music on my 2012 MacBook Pro but for now am using Air Play.

Last edited:
Picked mine up today from RS. Sounding better than I expected, nicely dynamic and yes a tad brighter to me too than the SBT. Being hyper critical I would say that cymbals sound a little rough but for the money it is an ace box of tricks.

The Amazon repository of the albums I've bought is suddenly useful and they sound very good to me streamed, the radio stations also sound good.

I'm hoping to find an iPeng like facility to flexibly list and select from the 1TB of music on my 2012 MacBook Pro but for now am using Air Play.
You can use IPeng of course as it is recognised in LMS architecture.

Thanks for the pointer. More by trial and error than design it now seems to be set up to do just that. Not sure there'll be much sleep tonight.
It’s was a real bonus to find it utilised Squeezelite. This means I don’t need to entirely leave LMS if I don’t want to.

The internal Dac is good. A touch of warmth which I like. It’s quite a big sound. I’m wondering whether to try another external Dac though I only have around £300 so not sure I could better the internal or integrated Yammy Dac.

Last edited:
The internal Dac is good. A touch of warmth which so like. It’s quite a big sound. I’m wondering whether to try another external Dac though I only have around £300 so not sure I could better the internal or integrated Yammy Dac.
I'm finding it much more enjoyable using its own DAC than I expected and, dare I say it, preferable to my old SBT. It manages to pull of the trick of being incisive without losing that little bit of warmth. My only very slight criticism is that cymbals are a little bit mushy, that might be HF hearing loss, I'll play around with the EQ at some point.

I'm finding it much more enjoyable using its own DAC than I expected and, dare I say it, preferable to my old SBT. It manages to pull of the trick of being incisive without losing that little bit of warmth. My only very slight criticism is that cymbals are a little bit mushy, that might be HF hearing loss, I'll play around with the EQ at some point.
The internal Dac is good though I’m beginning to slightly prefer the Sabre in the Yamaha. My system has a little warmth in the sound and I think the Sabre cuts against this little to produce a neutral and more dynamic sound. Whatever, it is a satisfying sound and I think it takes the place of the venerable Squeezebox Touch very well.

I really can’t believe how good this device is. I remember being startled and excited by the Squeezebox Touch and this device has given me the same feelings. The remote is very mature and it really excels as a Roon endpoint. I have moved back and forth between the Wiim’s internal Dac and my integrated’s Dac and I now feel that the Wiim’s Dac has the edge. It is a fuller sound but it still reveals detail. This must challenge many more expensive offerings and the price is just magical. It’s an excellent entry point for streaming but it’s great for the more experienced exponent as well. Amazing really.

advertisement

Back