advertisement

Why Spotify will fail...

Agreed, only problem with Bandcamp is that my CDX2 won’t always read or play the CD’s.

Most of the money I spent on vinyl albums this year was due to hearing the artist on Spotify Ai. That amount greatly exceeds my annual subscription to Spotify.

Reactions: kjb
Agreed, only problem with Bandcamp is that my CDX2 won’t always read or play the CD’s.

Obligatory mention that although they often seem to try to cultivate the impression, not all bandcamp transactions are with artists directly - labels often set up bandcamp sites in artists' names. Still better than Spotify rates etc, but still don't want people labouring under a misconception.

Most of the money I spent on vinyl albums this year was due to hearing the artist on Spotify Ai. That amount greatly exceeds my annual subscription to Spotify.

Best way to use streaming IMO - try and then if you like, buy. I wear band shirts so often look for merch too, and the more artist-direct the sale, the better.

Yes, this was a good video. Benn's videos are generally very well thought-out and worth a watch. The topics are fairly diverse: mostly music production and music industry, but also some social issues, science-y topics etc. One of the few channels I subscribe to.

I find the Spotify Ai Absolutely appalling - it churns out they same old stuff and l listen to quite a range of different genres. I find more new music from going through the various threads on this forum. I do like the convenience of Spotify tho'

Just watched this interesting vid. Yes, the guy is a musician so you can always accuse him of being biased but he makes a decent argument IMHO:

Interesting, this has popped up in my YouTube homepage and have yet to listen, will do so later when I have more time

Spotify won’t fail, and it does sterling service. I’ve used it every single day since 2014.
It’s all about music.

Spotify won’t fail, and it does sterling service. I’ve used it every single day since 2014.

Have you watched the video? The business model just doesn’t seem sustainable at all. It is certainly increasingly unattractive to artists who are getting squeezed ever harder as time goes on. It just doesn’t look long-term viable. If I was a gambler I’d be shorting it right now.

Have you watched the video? The business model just doesn’t seem sustainable at all. It is certainly increasingly unattractive to artists who are getting squeezed ever harder as time goes on. It just doesn’t look long-term viable. If I was a gambler I’d be shorting it right now.
Yes, I’ve watched it. But today it’s the only way the younger generation listens to music when it’s not free. Many teens just download their music for free and illegally. What’s worse?
Is Apple Music better?
Spotify is the only place where I can really find what I’m looking for.
What can we do to help musicians earn their living decently? Boycotting Spotify altogether is even worse, no?

Yes, I’ve watched it. But today it’s the only way the younger generation listens to music when it’s not free. Many teens just download their music for free and illegally. What’s worse?
Is Apple Music better?

Apple Music looks to be exactly the same hollow tech bubble about to pop. Why would any independent musician put their wares onto a corporate service when just dumping it up on YouTube pays more? The thing I found the most interesting about the video is the way it explained the bias towards the old dinosaur major labels who are now effectively stakeholders in the system and are using it to crush independent musos and small labels. Whether this is deliberate strategy or just the usual corporate power of wealth the effect is the same. There is absolutely no point in a small independent label or musician putting content on such a platform. Far better to stick up a limited low-bandwidth sampler on YouTube (where you get ad revenue) and then sell quality product at a fair price via Bandcamp.

As things progress I expect to see more and more artists and independent labels pulling their product from all the big corporate services. There really is no reason for a small band or label to be on a place that in effect gives their full resolution content away for fractions of pennies.

Have never and never will support a streaming service. It’s nothing more than legitimised theft from musicians.

That said, musicians often do little to help themselves - the number of times I’ve reached out to artists to put stuff that’s out of circulation (or only available on CD with a $25 delivery cost or a streaming service) on bandcamp or sell me a flac copy directly only to be met with silence or indifference is quite disappointing. Granted, sometimes they’re not legally able to sell the content, but often times they just don’t seem interested.

I’ve had this experience with Mary Fahl, Over the Rhine, Eilen Jewel & a few others. On the other hand, sometimes I’ve been lucky and managed to buy entire discographies directly. All told though, there are too few artists that help you to help them.

I would love to see all music streaming services go bust and take their symbiotic parasites with them.

I don't see any way back really. Streaming is the right technical solution for most people and if price goes up then piracy makes a comeback too.

Tim

advertisement

Back