advertisement

Who's heard Spendor Classic 2/3s?

Not heard the Spendor 2/3 specifically, but owned the 3/1 for some time. I’m still kicking myself for ever selling them, at a big loss, as they are the best speaker I’ve owned or demoed, and I’ve heard a lot. The price of chasing perfection eh…

I’d imagine the 2/3 are ‘more of the same’, but with a bit more scale and effortlessness again, albeit requiring a larger room. I’m not sure what size your room is, but the 3/1 were already testing the limits, bass wise, in a 4x4m room. Generally well balanced though.

Assuming the 2/3 is similar to the 3/1, then you can expect great midrange tone, a solid and tuneful bass, loads of (natural) detail, fluid dynamic swings, sweet and silky highs, very non-fatiguing and engaging across a wide range of music, with an invisible crossover between drivers. I suppose the highs are a double edged sword – they make all recordings listenable and sibilance is so well controlled – but some people will want a bit more ‘edge’ and conciseness I suspect, for cymbals and guitars etc. E.g. something like the Proac D2R fits that description, but personally, I found them bright and slightly unnatural in the highs. Neither are the Spendors a fast and nimble speaker, the way ATC are. They’re fluid, textured and rhythmic, but not peppy and dry.

They're open and cohesive sounding, but not sparkly and err a bit towards politeness and hang back slightly. If you think most speakers these days are overly bright and analytical, the Spendors could be just for you.
This is great -- thanks for posting your very informative thoughts on the sound of the 2/3s. My space is about 4x9 meters, with the system and listening position on the long walls of one end of the rectangle. I wonder if the 3/1s would be enough? The advice I was given on another forum was to go for the 2/3s over the 3/1s for my space. The thing is, I don't listen loud, but do like a full sound.

Spendor have lots of UK fans, but perhaps fewer supporters on websites like this than more hardcore/ purist choices like ATC.

What amplification have you got? What room size and what floor? How loud do you want to play music?
Thanks, yes, I previously asked for advice regarding the Spendor Classic series on the Steve Hoffman audio forum. Great feedback from those who'd heard them, but not many had. I was Hoping to have more luck here, pfm being UK based. It seems to have worked as I've gotten some helpful posts from folks already.

Regarding amplification, I currently run a few tube amps including a KT88 amp at 45 wpc, and an EL34-based amp at 20 wpc. My understanding is that the Classic series works well with tubes, but I'm actually interested in them because I want to transition to solid-state for everyday listening. I would never get rid of my tube amps, but with the price of tubes going up so fast, I want to make them last longer by using them less. Unfortunately, my Omega speakers don't pair well with solid-state, so I've been researching other options, mainly the Spendors. I'll be looking at solid-state integrateds up to about $5K (new or used) and want to have the Speakers in position and broken-in when I start auditioning. 65db is loud for me, so I'm sure I'd enjoy them with my tube amps while I shop.

Thanks, yes, I previously asked for advice regarding the Spendor Classic series on the Steve Hoffman audio forum. Great feedback from those who'd heard them, but not many had. I was Hoping to have more luck here, pfm being UK based. It seems to have worked as I've gotten some helpful posts from folks already.

Regarding amplification, I currently run a few tube amps including a KT88 amp at 45 wpc, and an EL34-based amp at 20 wpc. My understanding is that the Classic series works well with tubes, but I'm actually interested in them because I want to transition to solid-state for everyday listening. I would never get rid of my tube amps, but with the price of tubes going up so fast, I want to make them last longer by using them less. Unfortunately, my Omega speakers don't pair well with solid-state, so I've been researching other options, mainly the Spendors. I'll be looking at solid-state integrateds up to about $5K (new or used) and want to have the Speakers in position and broken-in when I start auditioning. 65db is loud for me, so I'm sure I'd enjoy them with my tube amps while I shop.
The Classic series may work acceptably with valve amps, but I have read several people claiming they benefit from a solid state amp capable of supplying lots of current. Having said that, on paper the Classic speakers are not inefficient,and not do they present a difficult load to an amplifier.

I’d suggest organising a home demo of the 2/3, your room is reasonably big. If you go for the 3/1 you’d probably always have the 2/3 gnawing away at you! I sort of regret not going for them as they’ve gone up in price but I do intend trying a pair at home to satisfy the urge. Don’t underestimate the 3/1 though, they’re remarkably capable and seem to fly below the radar which is surprising seeing as how good they are. Both speakers probably won’t wow you in a dealer demo but they get under your skin when you live with them a while, Ed Selleys online review sums them up well.

Goats post is an excellent description of what to expect. Also, you mention a full sound which is one of the reasons I chose them over a modern narrow cabinet design which seem to sacrifice body in the lower mids/upper bass region for extra clarity.

Goats post is an excellent description of what to expect. Also, you mention a full sound which is one of the reasons I chose them over a modern narrow cabinet design which seem to sacrifice body in the lower mids/upper bass region for extra clarity.

Yes that’s interesting, I had the A7’s previously and they wrecked my head with overly hot upper mids and lack of mid bass texture

This is great -- thanks for posting your very informative thoughts on the sound of the 2/3s. My space is about 4x9 meters, with the system and listening position on the long walls of one end of the rectangle. I wonder if the 3/1s would be enough? The advice I was given on another forum was to go for the 2/3s over the 3/1s for my space. The thing is, I don't listen loud, but do like a full sound.

For that space, the 2/3 would be ideal I reckon, subject to a home demo to confirm.

I haven't checked on this thread since the spring, but thought I'd follow-up to say I'm not pursuing the Spendors anymore.

New 2/3s are honestly a stretch for my budget (about $7,000 with proper stands here in the US, over $8,000 with Spendor stands), so I was mainly shopping used. But I noticed there was consistently 3 or 4 pairs available at any given time on the used market, which seemed like a lot for a current-production speaker that probably doesn't sell in large quantities here in the first place. I realized that even if I bought them 2nd hand at a good price, I wouldn't be able to easily re-sell them if they didn’t work out. My interest in the 2/3s was based on hearing them at a show where they were hooked up to an amp I'd never be able to afford, so I didn't want to take the chance they'd sound good in my modest system, and then not be able to pass them on.

I appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread.

I enjoyed about a year with the Spendor Classic 3/1s (not the 2/3s, one size down) found them excellent all-rounders in a room about 3.5 metres by 5.5 metres. I ran them variously with Naim, Rega and Exposure electronics, including the NDX2 streamer/DAC. The size was just right to give me the best of shoebox sized BBC lineage speakers, with enhanced scale and depth. Finding myself with too many pairs of speakers, and looking ahead to a not-to-distant future move from a house to an apartment, I sold them. The Neat SX3i stayed. The Neats, about the same size, bring more verve or vividness to the music, and more slam in the bass, but I miss the Spendors, which I found faultless and even-handed across I wide range of music, from Hendrix to Handel…

P.s. regrets for any confusion; I had the smaller 3/1s, not the 2/3s

Last edited:
I have the Graham Audio LS 5/9 designed by Derek Hughes, a wonderful speaker,fantastic tone and timbre, also quite a bit of drive, will get your feet moving to the music very easily.
I have them now in a room 4.16x4.20 m and if you like to listen at moderate levels, then this room works fine.
In my living room which is 6x8 m I can play them much louder, although I very seldom play very loud, enjoying music on more moderate levels much more.
The Graham Audio line of speakers are mostly if not all designed by Derek Hughes.

advertisement

Back