advertisement

Who's heard Spendor Classic 2/3s?

rischa

I'm interested in Spendor Classic 2/3s, but there are very few pro or amateur reviews to be found. Has anyone here on pfm spent meaningful time listening to them? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I heard them at a show a few years ago and really enjoyed them, but that's my only experience personally.

The lack of reviews is a bit of a red flag, but I also understand that these aren't speakers with mass appeal, so reviewers might go for more popular brands.

Have a look at the 'Ditton Works' You-Tube channel, I think he uses a pair.

Cheers BB
Been watching (and rewatching) the Ditton Works videos for about a year. He definitely makes me want to try the 2/3s. Problem is, he's all there is for meaningful reviews. What hifi "reviewed" them, but I don't place much stock in their reviews.

The lack of reviews isn't a big a red flag as the price.

Harbeth, Spendor, PMC and sadly even Proac have priced themselves out of the market.
Very true. I'm in the U.S., so Spendor prices are even worse here. I just found a used pair at a much better price than retail, but I'm torn because, of course, used speakers can't be returned.

I have not heard the Classic 2/3s so if you want you can stop reading here.

I own and love an early generation of the 2/3, the E version, the last designed by Derek Hughes. The subsequent R and R2 versions of the classic speakers were not liked by those who liked the earlier versions. I've heard the D series and was not impressed. If I were in the market for a modern Spendor type speaker I would be looking at the much better priced batch of retro speakers that have emerged from Wharfedale, Mission, KLH, and even Mofi.

I have not heard the Classic 2/3s so if you want you can stop reading here.

I own and love an early generation of the 2/3, the E version, the last designed by Derek Hughes. The subsequent R and R2 versions of the classic speakers were not liked by those who liked the earlier versions. I've heard the D series and was not impressed. If I were in the market for a modern Spendor type speaker I would be looking at the much better priced batch of retro speakers that have emerged from Wharfedale, Mission, KLH, and even Mofi.

Nice list. Add 'Q Acoustics'.

This is kind of a depressing situation with the 2/3s. They're such beautiful speakers and the few reports I've been able to dig up are mostly positive on SQ, but even in their home country no one seems interested. It makes me wonder why Spendor hasn't made some sort of market correction, seeing as this model is around 5 years old if I'm not mistaken. As @brab mentions upthread, there are many less expensive options in the retro speaker market (though I don't consider the Spendor Classic series to be part of this trend, more like the trend train just happens to be crossing through Spendor's lane at the moment).

I've demoed them, they're good but not $6000 good. You could get a truly high end speaker like the B&W 802N second hand for that.

I demoed them at a dealer when they’d just come out 5-6 years ago and thought they were fantastic for solo piano but a little dark or muted on other material.

Only afterwards did I realise that that was a fairly standard case of not spending enough time with the initially less impressive speaker, and that I should have gone for them rather than what I ended up doing. But by then the moment had passed, financially speaking.

My room now is the wrong shape for them - not too small exactly, but too short across the relevant axis - but if I had room I’d be looking for a 2nd hand pair.

I've demoed them, they're good but not $6000 good. You could get a truly high end speaker like the B&W 802N second hand for that.

Different presentations though aren't they. I'd be looking at JBL,Klipsch or KLH if I was US based, surely better value.

Cheers BB

Reviews?
https://www.whathifi.com/spendor/classic-23/review

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0601/spendorsp23e.htm

I'd be surprised if you found the 2/3s offering as much slam/ punch or sheer volume and dynamic vigour as (say) JBL or Klipsch options, and they probably won't work as well as (say) Tannoys close to the back wall. On the other hand, I have B&W 804 D3s, Shahinian Compasses and Neat Explorers in different rooms/ houses, and none of them offers the sweet/ precise mix of classic Spendor designs, and the B&W 804s (and all larger B&Ws and the big modern Spendors for that matter) need a good deal more space around them - and more oomph driving them.

Spendor have lots of UK fans, but perhaps fewer supporters on websites like this than more hardcore/ purist choices like ATC.

What amplification have you got? What room size and what floor? How loud do you want to play music?

I own a pair and rate them highly. I took a gamble after hearing the bigger brothers at a hifi show playing techno which coincided with review opinions that they will play anything well and they do. You may miss out on the exaggerated detail some other brands have but they do have detail and allow me to enjoy all types of music with greater scale. I found other speakers limited my habits and pushed me towards audiophile recordings like jazz and classical which the Spendor’s do amazingly but are equally at home with dub, 70’s soul and electronic music.

I can’t comment on the price as mine were ex demo and before recent rises. They cost more than I wanted to spend but they cover everything I want including aesthetics which are classic but still modern.

Not heard the Spendor 2/3 specifically, but owned the 3/1 for some time. I’m still kicking myself for ever selling them, at a big loss, as they are the best speaker I’ve owned or demoed, and I’ve heard a lot. The price of chasing perfection eh…

I’d imagine the 2/3 are ‘more of the same’, but with a bit more scale and effortlessness again, albeit requiring a larger room. I’m not sure what size your room is, but the 3/1 were already testing the limits, bass wise, in a 4x4m room. Generally well balanced though.

Assuming the 2/3 is similar to the 3/1, then you can expect great midrange tone, a solid and tuneful bass, loads of (natural) detail, fluid dynamic swings, sweet and silky highs, very non-fatiguing and engaging across a wide range of music, with an invisible crossover between drivers. I suppose the highs are a double edged sword – they make all recordings listenable and sibilance is so well controlled – but some people will want a bit more ‘edge’ and conciseness I suspect, for cymbals and guitars etc. E.g. something like the Proac D2R fits that description, but personally, I found them bright and slightly unnatural in the highs. Neither are the Spendors a fast and nimble speaker, the way ATC are. They’re fluid, textured and rhythmic, but not peppy and dry.

They're open and cohesive sounding, but not sparkly and err a bit towards politeness and hang back slightly. If you think most speakers these days are overly bright and analytical, the Spendors could be just for you.

Not heard the Spendor 2/3 specifically, but owned the 3/1 for some time. I’m still kicking myself for ever selling them, at a big loss, as they are the best speaker I’ve owned or demoed, and I’ve heard a lot. The price of chasing perfection eh…

I’d imagine the 2/3 are ‘more of the same’, but with a bit more scale and effortlessness again, albeit requiring a larger room. I’m not sure what size your room is, but the 3/1 were already testing the limits, bass wise, in a 4x4m room. Generally well balanced though.

Assuming the 2/3 is similar to the 3/1, then you can expect great midrange tone, a solid and tuneful bass, loads of (natural) detail, fluid dynamic swings, sweet and silky highs, very non-fatiguing and engaging across a wide range of music, with an invisible crossover between drivers. I suppose the highs are a double edged sword – they make all recordings listenable and sibilance is so well controlled – but some people will want a bit more ‘edge’ and conciseness I suspect, for cymbals and guitars etc. E.g. something like the Proac D2R fits that description, but personally, I found them bright and slightly unnatural in the highs. Neither are the Spendors a fast and nimble speaker, the way ATC are. They’re fluid, textured and rhythmic, but not peppy and dry.

They're open and cohesive sounding, but not sparkly and err a bit towards politeness and hang back slightly. If you think most speakers these days are overly bright and analytical, the Spendors could be just for you.

As a 3/1 owner I’d concur 100% with above assessment. Sort of interested in 2/3 also for a bit more scale and also to see how the front porting would behave in my room but I’m certainly not unhappy with the 3/1. Home demo is really the only way to ensure speakers work for you.

advertisement

Back