advertisement

Who's ditched the landline and how did it go ?

The mobile signal where I live is poor, and the house has Wi-Fi black spots, despite boosters. I can never remember to keep my mobile charged. The landline phone is more substantial and pleasant to use than my iPhone, and the design of the Samsung I had before that was dreadful.
The landline phone has been with me for more than a decade. It doesn't need to be changed constantly because the battery will no longer hold a charge.
The mobile is no more than a toy. I wouldn't miss it. I don't keep my life in it. I'm not into social media. I have a proper camera. The mobile is too small to use for research or for watching films. My music is on a decent sounding MP3 player for listening to when I travel. When I worked I wouldn't give my partners my mobile number. If a problem cropped up they had to deal with it the way we used to before mobiles. I don't need to be contactable day and night.
Yes, I have a mobile, a fairly up-to-date one, as my landline supplier gave me a good deal. But it's there for my convenience, and plays second fiddle to my landline.

Home has no reliable mobile signal, better at the end of the drive, but still hit and miss.
But then I almost never use my Nokia mobile, which is PAYG and costs me about £8 per year, maybe slightly less. Mobiles, arguably bigger wasters of time and money than the www in general.

Our mobile signal is reasonable but the cell masts only get a strong signal to one side of the house. Once the signal needs to go through a few walls it’s quite degraded. In addition our AV room in our cellar has foil lined walls so it’s in essence a faraday cage. Our DECT phones are fine but 3G/4G is no good. There are good reasons for some of us to use land lines!

Loads of people I know have no landline , we get many scam calls on ours but still useful back up if mobile fails

Incidentally, if you ever have a query or issue with your BT account (including broadband), they usually ask for the landline number as part of the security questions....

My landline developed an external fault recently and when it finally packed up, it took 15 days to get it sorted. As I only have a very old (pay as you go) Nokia, this was an anxious 2 weeks; not being able to contact anyone except by email, nor do banking where I receive a security call. Simply couldn't be without one.

Furthermore, as Snufkin suggests overleaf, I've yet to have conversations emanating from mobiles which are as clear as landlines. In fact, I wince every time my youngest daughter phones me because I know I'll have to ask her to repeat stuff, and ambient noises off, depending on where she is, frazzle my brain. When she phones from her car, I simply say I'll phone her l/l at home later; that's how bad it is!

Thought very seriously about dumping the land line
Have a good signal from Three with my hardly used mobile and toyed with getting a SIM only deal with a clever little box for the interweb
Put off by the tech failing - as is often my lot

We got rid of our (BT) landline following the passing of my mother in 2011. By that time all the immediate family had mobiles, as did all of our friends. The broadband was already being delivered by fibre (Nynex/NTL/Virginmedia).

It did cause a few issues back then. I recall being unable to order goods online, and even over the phone, because I could not provide a fixed line number (online, I occasionally used our old landline number).

One company told me that they used the fixed line number as my "account number", and indeed in that particular instance, "no landline number = no account = no sale". I can sort of understand the point about land line numbers if things go pear-shaped ( "Right, we know where you live. Da Boyz will be round to see you later") - and I'm equally cautious of tradespersons ' vans which display nowt more than a mobile number.

Interestingly even as recently as last year, my company's T&Cs stipulated that I supply a fixed line emergency contact number - fortunately HR took the pragmatic view that my wife's mobile would suffice in the unlikely** event that I'd accidentally connected myself to the mains.

** "unlikely", in that as an elect, sys. eng., it was paper engineering only and I would not be let loose anywhere near the real hardware. :D :D

Openreach have just started a programme to replace all the copper wire with fibre. When this started the ONT (optical network unit) was installed with a backup battery. Now they don't supply the backup this means no phone during power cuts!!

I suppose you can supply your own ups.

If like me you live in a semi-rural location and can suffer power cuts during the winter then old fashioned landlines will be the only way you can contact anyone, as no power = no internet and I need the internet to make mobile calls as the signal here is naff!!!! Although I never use my landline I wouldn't be without it as an emergency backup.

Got rid of the landline years ago.

We have virgin fibre broadband only. Cost £25.50 per month.

Virgin wanted to charge £36 for just fibre broadband, I told them I was leaving.

I think they have a new customer offer at that price.

There is no limit on usage, works fine.

(note: we are ‘semi-rural.’)

I haven't had a landline since 1995. Of course, in 1995 I didn't have internet at home, but my employer did. I think the line over the Atlantic was 10 Mbit.

Here in Sweden there is a crazy project that everybody should have fiber connection at home. Even in decently civilized places the cost is something like £2000 just to be connected, before you start paying the montly fee. Trust my words, in a couple of years everybody will do it via sattelite, and in more populated areas, 5G.

Our line was particularly accident prone and after the last person drove into a pole they didn't fix it and i stopped paying just to get calls from various scammers.

The internet maxed out at around 2 Meg so at times it was a struggle to stream even Spotify.

Three mobiles in the house if we have a power cut plus we've got unlimited Avanti satellite and a capped local microwave link.

BT is redundant and the only purpose for their poles is to support my fibre which was going to be here for christmas, maybe Easter now.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom