advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

Celebrating the tenth birthday of my right prosthetic knee, this after about three weeks. Nowadays the scar's barely perceptible -

O3sdJQA.jpeg
That looks neatly done. I've got one of those on both knees. the right knee done in 2006 and the left one in 2008

I’ve got a good selfie pic but I better not post it as it shows what happens when you face plant at 25mph on a bike and split from eye down nose and into lips minus teeth.

2 nose jobs, 36 stitches, one constructive surgery on jaw, 3 teeth implants and I was good as new. ;)
Oh go on. Please?

You asked for it, I’ll remove if anyone objects though, I crashed at the single speed world champs 2007 at Aviemore

[Edit TL: pics of injuries removed (broke Google Adsense rules and got me a policy violation!)]

10 mins after faceplant before heading off to spend the night in Raigmore hospital Inverness

Following morning after getting patched up as best they could, I had a race week to attend (Fort William UCI Downhill World Championship - not riding…..obviously)

1371761560_5f76574596_o.jpg

1370869511_19159d979e_o.jpg

My poor Soulcraft Columbus steel tubed frame that I had custom built by Shaun at Soulcraft in Marin County California, I flew out for a couple of weeks and spent some time riding and racing wi the folks out there whilst it was being built.

1370862951_5086e3f9c0_o.jpg

These bars between the bench supports are what I hit at speed coming from the left hand side, my led lights (1200 lumen so plenty bright) didn’t pick them up, the construction workers forgot to fence the area off before they finished work, you can see where my face hit the ground and exploded.

1370877995_1a2c412801_o.jpg

The bars were removed later in the day and warning signs put up, bit late for that.

Got pics of the further surgery 2 weeks later on my nose, jaw and 3 implanted teeth but they are really gory so I’ll keep them to myself, my cycling insurance eventually got £19k from the construction company so needless to say I bought a new custom titanium bike and ****ed off for 6 months riding in Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Switzerland etc.

I'd do it again for £19k ;)

edit - dunno why pics are rotated, they’re fine in my Flickr account

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as bad as I was expecting, but ouch indeed. I’d guess drinking a stein of beer would’ve been a challenge for a day or two?

First thing I did when we walked back to the chalet was attempt to take a big swig of Ardberg malt whisky which was a stupid thing to do as it dribbled out of my burst lip all down my face and It stung/hurt like **** as I had exposed nerve roots in my teeth, when I arrived at Raigmore Emergency department at 1.30am they immediately thought I was drunk due to the stench of whisky all over my hoody, We eventually managed to convince them I we were out on a night ride in the hills above aviemore and I face planted heading back to the chalet. the whisky was drunk through a straw as I waited on a mate to drive me the 30 miles to Inverness.

They didn’t give me any anaesthetic when removing my tooth or stitching my eyebrow, nose and inside/outside of my lip up as I had had quite a bit of ardberg by that point, everything was numb anyway. I had a blinder of a headache the next day though.

Tidy job that, Tony. Where did you have the op done?
Done by Mr Bowditch at Ipswich hospital, a good knee man. I really enjoyed the medication, although the oral morphine gave me some interesting hallucinations; at one point, when SWMBO was visiting, I saw a giant turbot up on the wall. Left hip also replaced about 7 years ago, and you can hardly see the tiny little scar from that.

Yeah, seeing my pride and joy snapped like that hurt like hell ;) I found a frame builder willing to replace the Columbus tubing with like for like - only cost £200 ish then another £70 for powder coating back in baby-blue so not all bad - I cost more to repair though, £4k in teeth implants........bloody waste of money, I shoulda just left them but my gf at the time was horrified with me missing 3 front teeth.

Yeah, seeing my pride and joy snapped like that hurt like hell ;) I found a frame builder willing to replace the Columbus tubing with like for like - only cost £200 ish then another £70 for powder coating back in baby-blue so not all bad - I cost more to repair though, £4k in teeth implants........bloody waste of money, I shoulda just left them but my gf at the time was horrified with me missing 3 front teeth.
When I saw what it did to the bike frame, I thought you were lucky to be alive.

advertisement

Back