advertisement

Which Tube/Valve CD Player?

Somone else here suggested Lampizator as a valve output stage DAC alternative to a valve output stage CDP. I am big fan also of their DACs and have been using a Golden Gate with 242 and 300B output tubes for several years. I was initially very taken by the 300Bs and ended up with a pair of WE originals. Over time I have gravitated more towards the faster and slightly more punch sound of the 242; I would love to try a 45 as I imagine this would be the sweetspot between punchy timing and the darker but more paunchy sound of the 300B.

The point I'm making is that whatever you do, try to aim for an valve output stage, either in the CDP or the DAC, that allows you options to change the tubes for different types, also known as tube rolling. There is much fun and flexibility to be had in subtly (and in some cases not so subtly) changing the character of your sytem in this way. It allows you to fine tune the presentation.

Yes tubes add distortion but given so many people like that distortion (something to do with the harmonic order that is affected being one that we really like), it shows up the fact that you can either be about the music or about the measurements.

the only downside to Lampizator DACs is that they are not cheap! But very often you can buy reconditioned units or if you buy new,you always get full value for the original unit you bought if and when you trade up.

Greg Dryglla at G-Point Audio is the UK distributor; he's exceptionally well regarded in the community and very helpful. You should easily be able to organise a demo unit, something like the Baltic or the Atlantic, the latter being also known as the TRP - Tube Rollers Paradise!

Valves just can’t transform those bits into music, lets face it.

Conversely, that's exactly what they seem to achieve. Some say it imbues the presentation with a more organic (a.k.a. analogue) effect. The involvement or 'immersion' factor is increased. However, my experience is limited to Meridian (def. not paint-stripping !!!!) and Lector.

The point I'm making is that whatever you do, try to aim for an valve output stage, either in the CDP or the DAC,

Showing my ignorance here, but I thought that valves were always in the DAC, not the CD drive, regardless of it being a 1 box or multi-box jobbie. just can't see how valves would add anything to the CD drive mech.

Conversely, that's exactly what they seem to achieve. Some say it imbues the presentation with a more organic (a.k.a. analogue) effect. The involvement or 'immersion' factor is increased.
That’s just pleasant added distortion. If you like it though, that’s fine.

That’s just pleasant added distortion. If you like it though, that’s fine.

Just one of life's distortions, but one I can more easily live with.:D.

I was a latecomer to CD; in fact, I picked up a fruitbox (LP12) from a dealer the year CD hit our streets (1982), only venturing into digital in 2001 with a used 2 box Meridian. Even before that I thought that valves would come into the equation sooner or later simply because of this potential warmth to alleviate the warts 'n' all aspects of CD. and this has materialised within the last two decades; cheap 'n' cheerful they're not, though; understandably!

Just one of life's distortions, but one I can more easily live with.:D.

I was a latecomer to CD; in fact, I picked up a fruitbox (LP12) from a dealer the year CD hit our streets (1982), only venturing into digital in 2001 with a used 2 box Meridian. Even before that I thought that valves would come into the equation sooner or later simply because of this potential warmth to alleviate the warts 'n' all aspects of CD. and this has materialised within the last two decades; cheap 'n' cheerful they're not, though; understandably!

Wow, 2001! I thought I was late in 1996 but I did have a boom box when I was over in the States before that.

Yes, music. What comes out of the DAC chip is fine, no need for valves here (and I’ve been a valve addict for 40 years).
The only way would be to replace the op-amps completely, but an op-amp is a such a perfect device, much, much better that any valve.
You might like the sound of a CAL Tempest CD player (I do) but it’s too complicated for what it has to achieve. Although I admire the beauty of the effort.

If money is no object, I personally would buy a one box Esoteric CD player from Japan.
I heard one and oh my goodness, this is simply perfect.
You will forget about valves, chips, review and so on and enjoy music.

Yes, music. What comes out of the DAC chip is fine, no need for valves here (and I’ve been a valve addict for 40 years).
The only way would be to replace the op-amps completely, but an op-amp is a such a perfect device, much, much better that any valve.
You might like the sound of a CAL Tempest CD player (I do) but it’s too complicated for what it has to achieve. Although I admire the beauty of the effort.

Gonna argue with you Jacques - would a valve preamp benefit from opamps as a buffer stage? I think my Croft wouldn’t :) As always, every thing is in the implementation - valves can be added with opamps, or they can replace them - I had a Mhdt Havanna (see here) which only uses valves - I ultimately moved it on, but only because a Wadia X-21 (ie, no slouch :D) was better. I really do not think you can generalise.

I got a lector cdpl2+2.24 dac in 2020,in stock form blew away a newly serviced/run in naim cds2/xps,it wasn't even close,and also trounced a linn klimax ds1,so sold both.
After about 6 months asked for help here,and with advice from mf1000 changed the valves for NOS Mallard and jj gold pin,which was another big uplift in SQ.
If you have the rack space,check one out,if near Essex,then your welcome to pop over for a listen

I usd to have a Xindak CD with valve output and that was very musical. I replaced that with a Pioneer Stable-platter CDP used as a transport into a Maverick D1+ DAC which has both SS & valve outputs (the best $100 s/h that I have ever spent) This is a very good combo and is very listenable & musical.
PS I did not own a CDP until 1991!

I got a lector cdpl2+2.24 dac in 2020,in stock form blew away a newly serviced/run in naim cds2/xps,it wasn't even close,and also trounced a linn klimax ds1,so sold both.
After about 6 months asked for help here,and with advice from mf1000 changed the valves for NOS Mallard and jj gold pin,which was another big uplift in SQ.
If you have the rack space,check one out,if near Essex,then your welcome to pop over for a listen
Have another chat with Keith (mf1000) and ask him about the Phillips/Valvo 6201 (df6) he's now put in. I started out wth EH triple mica in my CDP7TL then moved to Telefunken, the TFKs I thought were the bees knees, the 6201s though were a revelation, not cheap particularly with the df6 batch code but well worth it.

Last edited:
Have another chat with Keith (mf1000) and ask him about the Phillips/Valvo 6201 (df6) he's now put in. I started out wth EH triple mica in my CDP7TL then moved to Telefunken, the TFKs I thought were the bees knees, the 6201s though were a revelation, not cheap particularly with the df6s code but well worth it.
Thanks for the heads up Lurch,much appreciated

advertisement

Back