advertisement

Which Freeview box with recording capabilities

hifilover1979

Bigger than you...
We've decided to get rid of the VM TV & phone parts of our VM package as they never get used (well, the TV stuff did but we've to pay through the nose to get the likes of Discovery/cooking channels etc) as that's all I watch TBH

Kept the 350MB broadband, but shunned the rest

The bills gone up from £59 to £99 and we've had enough; more so after trying to speak to the call centre tossers that don't speak English as a first language, don't listen to you when you're trying to ask questions and then just keep on at you with the sales bullshit...!

I've an ATV 4, so have all the necessary apps on there (Apple TV+, Netflix, Prime, Now etc); but the wife still likes to watch 'normal TV' and wants a 'digi box that records...' :D

So; any suggestions/recommendations?

Cheers

Plenty of modern TVs have USB sockets fitted that can take a hard disk for recordings - maybe they wont have the second channel and recording timers. But these days with 'catch up' TV available free of charge - how many of us actually record anything?

Instead of phoning Virgin, have you tried opening up a online discussion case? I know it's a pain, but if you jump through their hoops, they will normally offer you a discounted package if you threaten to leave. Normally, you need to sign up to a 12-24 months contract. If you don't need 350MB Broadband speed, you might be able to save a little there by dropping that to 100 or 200. 100MB is normally fast enough for most things. You sound like you only need the basic TV package.

Otherwise, if you still want to leave, then a box as Tony suggests via Freeview or Freesat. Some newer TVs can also record to a USB flash drive already if you have one of those.

Instead of phoning Virgin, have you tried opening up a online discussion case? I know it's a pain, but if you jump through their hoops, they will normally offer you a discounted package if you threaten to leave. Normally, you need to sign up to a 12-24 months contract. If you don't need 350MB Broadband speed, you might be able to save a little there by dropping that to 100 or 200. 100MB is normally fast enough for most things. You sound like you only need the basic TV package.

Otherwise, if you still want to leave, then a box as Tony suggests via Freeview or Freesat. Some newer TVs can also record to a USB flash drive already if you have one of those.

Package had already been reduced, stick with the broadband but the rest has been binned

Got 350MB broadband for £34 a month for 18 months

If you are keeping internet then use the online services as your repositary of transmitted programs. Our use of the Sky record facility has dropped dramatically since we got a cable connection to the internet.
Checkout the iPlayer, All4, Itv Hub etc to see the range of accessible programs.

Just had a quick look and there is quite a few options on eBay about sixty pounds gets a recorder with at least 500mb of storage which is enough . As has been said Humax are good and they make boxes for the likes of BT and Talk Talk so those are another option . There is also a Plusnet tv recording box which works as well .

Humax here can occasionally lose recording schedule. Since my wife passed away I'm using catch up most of the time. Heather preferred to use the recorder. In fact I'm thinking of switching it off.

Roku stick is useful for streaming especially if TV's apps don't get updated. Our LG TV in bedroom wouldn't do ITV "live" but the Roku would. Our old Panasonic plasma would only do iPlayer at the end which was why I got the Roku.

We have had a Panasonic hard drive recorder for a few years - had no problems with it.

PS. Our previous Humax was a Freesat box that replaced a Sky box. The Freeview box doesn't cut out in heavy rain.

Which is nice.

I wouldn't recommend the Philips DVDR 552O H.
An old model now, it really is frustratingly slow, buggy, crashy and needs frequent reboots.
Even the Freeview guide never works.

I only use it for the spare room and then only to play dvds. Otherwise it's not worth the ar*e ache!

advertisement

Back