advertisement

Where does the money in expensive speakers get spent?

They were just my JBL's Dec. I know they have a supertweeter above 10khz but I can't hear that high anyway so effectively a two way to an old duffer like me - crossover is at 800hz.

They were barely ticking over in all honesty - you certainly couldn't see the cone surrounds moving where we were sat - even playing Missy Elliot. The greatest impression is that the fun just gets bigger and the SPL meter reading goes up. The sound remains the same :) That doesn't happen IME with lower specced loudspeakers - primarily because of rising distortion components courtesy of the drive units used.

I'm sure this will just prompt Merlin to post that ATC graph he's so fond of, but I certainly find that my ATCs also give the impression of "just going louder " without distortion, which must be down to the engineering of the in-house drivers.

Of course I could post that graph but that wouldn't change the fact that something gives you that impression.

ATC's are three ways though and yours are effectively 4 ways with the sub so they aren't really the subject of the debate I would have thought. :)

I share your sentiments actually. I don't have experience of many expensive two ways but my own, however 90db peaks are well within the range I listen to my quite small contour s1.4s and they barely appear to move yet most people think I must have a sub, somewhere.

I'm very interested to know what would happen if I went to the next logical step though. I anticipate more resolution/detail but I don't know what parts you would upgrade except the design (not more expensive parts used as such)

I suspect most of us would be better off with 28mm tweeters and using a larger mid-woofer.
Losing above 15kHz is not that important for the over 40s

In the eighties, four extra pine batons and glue making up the highly technical 'circumferential brace' could add a ton of money to the price tag. This was NASA stuff in the flat earth period.

Of course I could post that graph but that wouldn't change the fact that something gives you that impression.

ATC's are three ways though and yours are effectively 4 ways with the sub so they aren't really the subject of the debate I would have thought. :)

I was posting wrt the original title, which was where does the money get spent, and observing that with ATC it seems to be the drivers.

Anyway, all I can really say is that they go much louder without obvious distortion than my previous Dynaudios.

advertisement

Back