advertisement

When I went on naim forum šŸ˜‚

As I always say it's only music.
No one is going to die, etc.
Just take it as it is, it obviously makes him happy, and it's not hurting anyone.
But I guess you could waste a lot off time trying the things he says makes a difference.
Or you could do as I do and laugh at it all.

Ps I am 100% sure I have many haters on the naim forum, and I couldn't give a toss.

I do wonder how certain ā€˜golden earsā€™ ever actually enjoy music? They must be constantly fretting about ā€˜betterā€™?

I think weā€™ve all been a little guilty of audio nervosa otherwise we wouldnā€™t be on her but..

I get similar thoughts about the Hoffman forum, just loads of people obsessed with certain pressings. It really doesnā€™t matter, good music isnā€™t made bad by an imperfect run out groove etching.

Iā€™m currently listening to Joni Mitchell archive volume 3, itā€™s utterly spell binding. Iā€™m streaming the content so shoot me;)

I do wonder how certain ā€˜golden earsā€™ ever actually enjoy music? They must be constantly fretting about ā€˜betterā€™?

I think weā€™ve all been a little guilty of audio nervosa otherwise we wouldnā€™t be on her but..

I get similar thoughts about the Hoffman forum, just loads of people obsessed with certain pressings. It really doesnā€™t matter, good music isnā€™t made bad by an imperfect run out groove etching.

Iā€™m currently listening to Joni Mitchell archive volume 3, itā€™s utterly spell binding. Iā€™m streaming the content so shoot me;)
I also wonder about this. So focused on upgrades and fiddling that music takes a back seat.

My god, talk about timing, just posted on the naim forum. Lol

Long-long ago in my 552 days I found about there sounded best - and it still does with my ND555.
I experimented and listened and found too far into the glass became loose and fragmented and too far forward over-agressive and blunt, but the sweet-spot was about 1mm in from front level with bevel-edge of the Fraim glass.
I also found a very slight skew that you would not notice on the glass improved things with the ND555.

When you have it right it just sounds ā€˜rightā€™ and you lose interest in the HiFi and want to play music and enjoy - that is when you leave it alone.

DB.

I also wonder about this. So focused on upgrades and fiddling that music takes a back seat.
Steve I dip into it at work sometimes and if you have in their forum speak " Pulled the trigger " on say a 500 or 552
It's like an echo chamber of congratulations they sort of egg each other on and seek this approval from fellow members
And speak in gushing tones of how their 282 preamp was broken compared to their new 552
The system pictures are so boring all that Fraim ...the boxes all look the same .
The highest respect is getting an S1 preamp ....its something to aspire too...
As an observation some of them have spent well over 100 k
I am sure you could get a system at half that price which would walk over it
But if you like the Naim sound then you don't have too.

Ps I am 100% sure I have many haters on the naim forum, and I couldn't give a toss.
Most people go on manufacturer forums because they appreciate the gear, plus get a nice social connection with some shared interests. Few who go to brand sites would choose to be their for repeated beratement about buying gear that doesn't sound as good as someone else's. I think the 'couldn't give a toss' statement may be 'nail on head' as to why you have made some haters.

I too think that I have better sound-per-dollar with my non-Naim gear (comparing older second-hand in my case), and would love to hear something as good as yours, but what could I possibly gain by posting it on that site.

My god, talk about timing, just posted on the naim forum. Lol

Long-long ago in my 552 days I found about there sounded best - and it still does with my ND555.
I experimented and listened and found too far into the glass became loose and fragmented and too far forward over-agressive and blunt, but the sweet-spot was about 1mm in from front level with bevel-edge of the Fraim glass.
I also found a very slight skew that you would not notice on the glass improved things with the ND555.

When you have it right it just sounds ā€˜rightā€™ and you lose interest in the HiFi and want to play music and enjoy - that is when you leave it alone.

DB.

I must say I find it quite distasteful identifying and ridiculing a poster from the Naim forum on this forum, say it to his face on the Naim forum if youā€™re man enough but donā€™t be sneakily slagging him off here behind his back. Tantamount to bullying in my book.

.sjb

Steve I dip into it at work sometimes and if you have in their forum speak " Pulled the trigger " on say a 500 or 552
It's like an echo chamber of congratulations they sort of egg each other on and seek this approval from fellow members
And speak in gushing tones of how their 282 preamp was broken compared to their new 552
The system pictures are so boring all that Fraim ...the boxes all look the same .
The highest respect is getting an S1 preamp ....its something to aspire too...
As an observation some of them have spent well over 100 k
I am sure you could get a system at half that price which would walk over it
But if you like the Naim sound then you don't have too.
It is amusing to do a search on the phrase ā€œpull the triggerā€ and related on the Naim forum and, er, then do the same here. Struggling to see a difference of sny significance on the number of search results returned. It appears to be the ā€œforum speakā€ of PFM too.

This is exactly the sort of nonsense I struggle with. Decide you dislike something and then invent some facts to fit.

I must say I find it quite distasteful identifying and ridiculing a poster from the Naim forum on this forum, say it to his face on the Naim forum if youā€™re man enough but donā€™t be sneakily slagging him off here behind his back. Tantamount to bullying on my book.

Exactly this.

There were quite a few people who ended up on PFM via, or at least in parallel to the Naim forum in the late nineties or early noughties; Joe P, Vuk, Ron Toolsie and others; of whom I was one.

The last time I popped into it, someone was discussing "electron memory" in cables and at that point I took a walk.

A little off topic, but in terms of comments about value, Naim in AU/NZ has been particularly good value for quite a while now, due to the unfortunate demise of Naim supply and support here (i.e. 40% off is only good value if you don't need good support).

There were quite a few people who ended up on PFM via, or at least in parallel to the Naim forum in the late nineties or early noughties; Joe P, Vuk, Ron Toolsie and others; of whom I was one.

The last time I popped into it, someone was discussing "electron memory" in cables and at that point I took a walk.
Damn. Did I miss that thread!

A little off topic, but in terms of comments about value, Naim in AU/NZ has been particularly good value for quite a while now, due to the unfortunate demise of Naim supply and support here (i.e. 40% off is only good value if you don't need good support).
Still too expensive.

advertisement

Back