advertisement

What's your most recent classical purchase or acquisition?

Bruckner Symphony 8 - Giulini/VPO

Waiting on:
Mahler Symphony 2 - Jurowsky/LSO
Bruckner Symphony 9 - Abbado/Lucerne

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0040IAZVM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

A rather wonderful 17 CD set that contains such a range of music for solo piano, and piano with orchestra. Plus the unique partnership with Artur Grumiaux in my favourite complete cycle of Beethoven Violin and Piano Sonatas, and a selection of Mozart's.

There is music here that simply does not appeal to me such as the Chopin and Schumann selections. My loss of course, but Clara Haskil has unlocked some great Schubert and Beethoven [piano sonatas] that I previously never quite got. I am not sure how that happens, because her wonderful playing is at first listening completely without artifice of any kind. But she certainly does [on further listening] play with the most unusual subtlety, but also with absolutely no eccentricity or apparently imposing any distortions based on her own personality. To make music so clear and accessible with such an apparently artless and impersonal style, without ever once verging on the disinterested, is a marvellous balancing act. She almost convinces me in Schumann!

Best wishes from George

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back