advertisement

What's your most recent classical purchase or acquisition?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I don't recall seeing a thread about our most recent classical purchases and acquisitions - bargain box sets notwithstanding - so I thought I'd start one myself.

The Planets isn't my favourite suite of music - it has its moments, no doubt about it - and yet, I've just gone and purchased another interpretation, just gone and added to what was already the most oft-purchased piece of classical music in my collection. Specifically, I just bought this interpretation: The Planets - Organ Transcriptions by Peter Sykes. Fwiw, it's on Spotify so you can try before you buy, as it were if you're so inclined. Alternatively, you can hear Mars on Youtube below.

418eyPhqtrL._SX425_.jpg

What's your most recent classical purchase or acquisition?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gamelan Music of Bali: Field Recordings by Master Ethnomusicologist Deben Bhattacharya.

Unrehearsed field recordings of Gamelan music made in Balinese villages in 1973-74.
1. Ceremonial funeral music: Tabuh Lelambatan Lawas (Longor) - 21:15.
2. Mahabharata (from a shadow play called Wayang Kulit) - 13:40.
3. Barong (dance-drama) - 13:00.
4. Trunajaya (Victory for the Young) - 12:20.

I think it counts.

Ansbach Bach Festival Soloists and Karl Richter Munchener Bach Orchestra great recording of wonderful music

Just got this the other day - link above is to Amazon, but its available as CD quality download from Prestoclassical much cheaper.
Gottfried Von Einem (1918-1996) was quite feted in post-war music world, championed by the likes of Karajan & Bohm, but since forgotten about - possibly because he was resolutely tonal and utterly rejected the Darmstadt school. Yet his music does not sound anachronistic. This is my only encounter with his music. The Philadelphia Symphony is sort of like a 3-way banter between Haydn, Stravinsky and Prokofiev with a slight colouring of blues thrown in - I really enjoyed it, same with the Soprano-trumpet-organ Geistliche Sonate, haven't got to the rest of it yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Very nearly all of the 104 Symphonies of Haydn by the Academy of Ancient Music under Christopher Hogwood, a 32 CD box set. Just dipping into it but it is fascinating to see developments leading to the Ludwig Van Symphonies. Not my normal 20th Century food, but impressive.

Penderecki - Orchestral Works, Vol 1

I bought it after hearing the piece 'Threnody To the Victims of Hiroshima.'

The organ arrangement on SACD of The Planets I bought seemingly ages ago finally turned up today. I wasn't giving it my full attention but my initial feelings are that my speakers don't do the recording justice as they just don't go low enough, so I reckon I'll need to the rip the SACD and pop a copy onto my portable music player or listen via my HD650s at home. As for the music, the track that caught my attention the most was Neptune. I think this is because the gentle waxing and waning of the rhythm and melody suit the organ better than those of Mars for example that really needs a sharp attack of notes that you just can't get from an organ, what with the greater length of note decay you get with an organ. I'll happily defer to anything Nic says on the technicalities of that point, but Neptune certainly swept me into an almost lullaby-like lagoon of tranquillity all the same.

I wait for Hyperions "Please Buy Me" special offers .
So got these over the last few months -
Thomas Tallis Spem in Amium Winchester cathedral Choir David Hill
John Blow Anthems Winchester cathedral Choir David Hill
The Study of Love Gothic Voices
The Language of Love Duo Trobairitz

I also wait for special offers from Presto Classical and got these three
Cantar d'amore Ensemble Oni Wytars
Corsica Chants Polyphonic E Voce Di U Cumune /Marecel Peres ( I have this on LP and a fine record it is too )
Magister Leonibus Sacred Music from C12 Paris/ Red Byrd

I also picked up that very very interesting Consort of Musicke/Anthony Rooley 4 cd recording Musicke of Sundrie Kindes. I have the LP box set of this and the notable feature is a very young Emma Kirkby who dazzles with her so young voice that is so perfect, better than the later older voice. I am so glad that Rooley had this reissued

only available as MP3 download at Amazon - but available as a CD quality and hi-res FLAC at Prestoclassical, a massively superior place than Amazon to buy classical recordings online

Bought this for Marc-Anthony Turnage's Piano Concerto, he's a contemporary composer whose music interests me, so the Beethoven and Tchaikovsky were a bonus, and turns out well-worthwhile bonuses too. I have more recordings of LvB's 8th than I can possibly need, but this one will definitely get re-played as it jolly con brio, very enjoyable. I only have two recordings of Francesca da Rimini: Bernstein/NYPO which is too slow and indulgent, or Stokowski/NY stadium orchestra (I think was actually the NYPO in another guise) but which suffers from a poor 1950s recording. This fills the gap - good sound and great performance, even if it lingers a bit too much in the slower sections.

The Turnage Piano Concerto worked for me, quite jazzy, somewhat redolent of Copland or Bernstein especially in the slower middle movement.

From Amazon.de...Scarlatti Sinfonie Di Concerto Grosso and Corelli Concerti Grossi...both on Philips Label with I Musici.
I’m very familiar with the Corelli (Naxos) but not with the Scarlatti.

I listened to the live performance the week they recorded this and just found there was an SACD:

827949036064.jpg

Having bought several CDs of Luciano Berio's music Amazon told me that I might like the music of Toru Takemitsu, suggesting Spirit Garden Orchestral Works. Sure enough Amazon was right, it is an extreme form of Debussy with Japanese overtones and some Japanese instruments. It is going to be an expensive fortnight.:)

<moderating>

As ever if at all possible please link to the item on Amazon when recommending something as it really does substantially help finance pfm. Linking to Amazon images does nothing as they won’t be link affiliated.

advertisement

Back