advertisement

What's the state of Grunge?

Rasher

Quadrophenia land
I'm off to see the first reunion tour of one of my favourite bands Swervedriver in November, and with Stone Temple Pilots getting back together for a tour, and a recent Dinosaur Jr. effort, it seems that old grunge is getting started up again.
Personally I couldn't care less about STP (can't stand that asshole Scott Weiland), but Swervedriver I'm excited about. You think we might get a Soundgarden reunion?

Now I'm just thinking what an awful waste it was that Layne Staley didn't survive. Tragic.

I'm off to see the first reunion tour of one of my favourite bands Swervedriver in November.

Saw Swervedriver a few times in the early 90's at various venues in Leeds. All I remember about it is that at one gig some woman was complaining about the reckless abandon with which me and my mate were moshing:)

My mate then sent a letter into Melody Maker asking them for their opinion and it got printed in the paper - oh happy days:D

Looking at it with a realistic rather than a nostalgic eye, the fact that these are all reunions of 20 year old bands, would suggest grunge us pretty much dead .. Or at least in suspended animation. Don't get me wrong I like it, but unless there is a current scene with emerging talent, it's pretty much a nostalgia trip.

I have to agree sadly, although really it's 15 years, not 20. I didn't know Mudhoney were back too!
I think the audience is fairly young so some new bands might come out of it, but yes, you're right, it's just nostalgia really.

Mudhoney never went away, they've been producing records right the way through. They're rather embarrassing to watch now IMO, although not half as embarrassing as the MC5 with Mark Arm singing.

I have a tattoo of a soundgarden album on my arm as proof of my grungeyness, but i think i'm growing out of it quite quickly tbh. I can't listen to most of it anymore but i have a nice copy of badmotorfinger and listened to it for the first time today and it's still amazing imo. Matt Cameron's probably the best rock drummer in the world on his day. It's also one of the best recorded heavy albums i've heard too, very powerful but no stodge

advertisement

Back