advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Looking good. How are you finding them?
I wanted to give 8”minimum concentric drivers a go as they seemed to have the qualities I was looking for in a speaker design. I made the right decision.

The SP8s don’t jump out at you. They simply sound great. Smooth and detailed with an effortless full sound. The sweet spot is so much wider as well. Unlike my previous speakers I don’t need to be sitting in a precise spot to enjoy the music. On my couch, at my desk or over at my spin bike the SP8s sound great.

Unless my living space changes, I won’t be moving on from the SP8s.

Note
Such a good value too and with being on sale.

That's one hell of a lot of music, do you listen to it all? 😂
The total amount of music on the NAS including classical and vinyl rips is close to 5To.

I listen to a lot of it but I must admit to having the occasional "What on earth is that?' reaction as I scroll through the folder names. Roon Radio is quite good at presenting stuff I haven't listened to for some time. If, for example, I programme one Finnish album I get a huge amount of Finnish tracks in the couple of hours that follow.

Of course being mostly retired helps, if truth be told, when I do work I also have the hi-fi on.

I wanted to share that I have just swapped my Lyra Delos for a new one after far too long (over 8 years) and I had no idea it had gone down so far. There was noting to see on the old one under my microscope, it looked ok. I am enjoying new hifi sounds! And in the mean time I have changed deck and phono stage and the cart is able to shine as never before. The bass is back to the max, as is clarity, I expected that but stereo separation is now much better, which I did not expect. Cartridges and loudspeakers, the biggest upgrades. And I didn't need to upgrade, just replace.

4 kilos of solid aluminium Chi-Fi in the house

I1QpgHq.jpeg

Some capacitors (and a spare crossover!) so I can get around to recapping the Tannoy DC2000s...

Oh, and a FAIC SNAIC so my mate can try out my Flatcap... Might get a few beers out of it :)

Five B&W Solid TEAM speakers, dirt cheap on eBay. I got them to improve the sound of a couple of TVs, so a pair for each TV and one spare. Now all I need is a pair of little Lepai (or similar) amplifiers and a pair of HDMI extractors.

I spend too much on gear, sometimes frivously. In latter months 2 amps, a dac and a pair of speakers. I only post here when something of interest is discovered. The first amp an Arcam A20 being knocked out at £499 by Tyson. Superceded model now priced at £699 presumably because stocks are appropiately reduced. Infuriating behaviour for customers who have recently paid close to rrp. Thoroughly decent amp, I thought it would be, engineered to run in class A at less than 20 watts.To my ears it doesn't have the character of a class A, it's decidedly neutral and none the worse for that. So don't go buying it thinking it will warm things up a bit. It sounds a bit beefier compared to an Audiolab 7000 and a little less boisterous than a Rega elex Mk4. All decent though except the factory sent out the Rega with the wrong fuse fitted which soon blew and an optical input that didn't work at all. Quality control ?
The 2nd amp was a new WD designs kel84. Now that does have a warmer nature reminding me of an Audio Note Oto se. This is all to my ears of course but the WD sounds less coloured and less 'lush' than the Oto. It's also a quarter of the price, thorougly recommended.
The new Dac was a JDS labs element, does the job, nothing else to say.
The speakers were Falcon Q7. These are the latest deal at £1650. Cripes they used to be £1200. But to be fair they are factory built with the liquidamber veneer and the gold badge crossover. Still a leap of faith to buy blind at that price. In context I know very well the Stirling ls3/5a V2 and the Graham ls3/5. The Stirlings for me are the star performer, so sweet and engaging as well as being accurate. The Graham's (without that 100hz hump) are less engaging focusing more on accuracy. Both very fine speakers though. I had to use them with a sub. The Q7's I could use without a sub but it's not a night and day difference. First impressions on the Q7's, killer top end, in a good way. I guess that's the crossover doing its bit. One has to grab them at the moment on value grounds alone. Essentially though all the ls3/5a's are a cracking good speaker.

advertisement

Back