advertisement

what motorcycle?

yamaha06062201.jpg

Mr Tibbs

http://hpbimg.redrose-retrobikes.co.uk/Restorations.html

I must not visit this shop!

Well I did have an Suzuki AP50 and a Yamaha shaft drive 750 but I don't talk about them. (I never rode the Suzuki and the Yam was shite)

I've previously had Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Yamaha's - which is the reason why I tend to stick to Honda now!

Here's my list (makes me feel a bit old, compared to the others)

1955 AJS 500 twin
1971 Norton Commando LR fastback (modified with a Suzuki twin leading shoe front brake)
1972 Moto Guzzi 750S
1981 BMW R100CS (still in daily use).

im far from mid life. i just think crotch rockets and sport bikes look , I dunno... too metro. feminine.

and for comfort, long rides, they particularly blow.
ive really got no need to go over 110 mph, so I enjoy my 1400 with 72 hp just fine.

my rule book is.... how would tom waits, james dean, kerouac, or johnny cash look on one? if they'd seem outta place, i put a kibosh on further investigating.

I dont like harleys personally, but many friends have and love them dearly. ill never own one.

OK I just HAVE to laugh at that comment!! :D:D

I just love the irony, car drivers that are too scared to ever get on a motorcycle come out with the same rubbish. Accusations of leather clad homosexuals (Fuzzy haired paunchy knobhead off Top Gear to blame), riding around on plastic rockets. Hilarious. The truth is, of course, the complete opposite. It's the guys on the Jap plastic rockets in their leathers that are the real men. They're the ones with the balls. Not the "nancy boys" in their tin boxes or the ones in their cowboy boots and chaps pootling along at 10 degree lean angles on their customs.

I encourage you to actually visit America some day, if you ever get tired of just making stuff up.

Don't need to visit America to state a FACT about motorcycle choices and preferences around the world. Apart from maybe Australia, the preference for and existence of custom motorcycles is an almost exclusively American phenomenon. If you feel that's some kind of slight it's really not my problem.

Oh and for the sake of clarity. Living in the UK, as I do, I have a very significant level of exposure to American culture. It's all over our media. We hear about events in the US on a regular basis, get informed in great detail about Presidential elections etc. Plus I work in a company where the majority of our customers are Americans, (living in the US), and have regular interactions with many Americans for work. So it's no skin off my nose if you wish to erroneously believe that I speak from a position of ignorance just because you don't like what I say.

Here's my list (makes me feel a bit old, compared to the others)

1955 AJS 500 twin
1971 Norton Commando LR fastback (modified with a Suzuki twin leading shoe front brake)
1972 Moto Guzzi 750S
1981 BMW R100CS (still in daily use).

Yes I was feeling a bit old too. That is a tasty selection and I always liked my boxer.

My list is Yamaha YG1, Royal Enfield Continental (not the GT). BSA B31, James Cadet(?), Suzuki Bloop, MZ250, Triumph 500CC, Triumph Tiger 750, Norton 750 Commando, Norton 850 Commando, Ducati 860GT, Kawasaki 650, Kawasaki Z1000J (bird puller), BMW R80ST, Suzuki GN400, Kawasaki Z750 Zephyr, Honda Africa Twin, Triumph 900 Tiger, BMW K75S.

I stopped 14 years ago, too dangerous, and now get my engine kicks revving a 2009 Honda Civic Type R into the iVTEC.

It's the guys on the Jap plastic rockets in their leathers that are the real men.

Plastic rocket sales have fallen dramatically in recent years, the survivors are buying "adventure" bikes or going retro.

I once tried to prove at college that Harleys were dangerous and should be banned. All based on prejudice, not science. I still think they should be banned. Not because they are dangerous, although they probably are relative to other bikes, but I hate what they seem to stand for. And they are also shit.

I once tried to prove at college that Harleys were dangerous and should be banned. All based on prejudice, not science. I still think they should be banned. Not because they are dangerous, although they probably are relative to other bikes, but I hate what they seem to stand for. And they are also shit.

Easy, just get someone to ride them round a corner:D

Pete

Don't need to visit America to state a FACT about motorcycle choices and preferences around the world. Apart from maybe Australia, the preference for and existence of custom motorcycles is an almost exclusively American phenomenon. If you feel that's some kind of slight it's really not my problem.

Oh and for the sake of clarity. Living in the UK, as I do, I have a very significant level of exposure to American culture. It's all over our media. We hear about events in the US on a regular basis, get informed in great detail about Presidential elections etc. Plus I work in a company where the majority of our customers are Americans, (living in the US), and have regular interactions with many Americans for work. So it's no skin off my nose if you wish to erroneously believe that I speak from a position of ignorance just because you don't like what I say.

My relatively small American town supports dealerships for KTM, Aprilia, Triumph, Ducati, BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and yes, Harley Davidson, and several custom shops as well. So I suppose the inclusion of those last two basically means the United States is more diverse than the entire rest of the world.

Good job keeping up with American culture via tv, though. We get Downton Abbey and Keeping Up Appearances on a regular basis, and there's a BBC News Hour on from time to time, so I will assume I know all I need to know about your rich culture and heritage.

I don't have to simply "believe you speak from a position of ignorance" about America; you have demonstrated it.

(By the way, I think all the "ban things I don't like" and "Harleys can only go in straight lines" chat from others offers hilarious insight into what must be, at the end of the day, a very sad culture in which to live.)

My relatively small American town supports dealerships for KTM, Aprilia, Triumph, Ducati, BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and yes, Harley Davidson, and several custom shops as well. So I suppose the inclusion of those last two basically means the United States is more diverse than the entire rest of the world.

Good job keeping up with American culture via tv, though. We get Downton Abbey and Keeping Up Appearances on a regular basis, and there's a BBC News Hour on from time to time, so I will assume I know all I need to know about your rich culture and heritage.

I don't have to simply "believe you speak from a position of ignorance" about America; you have demonstrated it.

(By the way, I think all the "ban things I don't like" and "Harleys can only go in straight lines" chat from others offers hilarious insight into what must be, at the end of the day, a very sad culture in which to live.)

It's a common misconception that the British have bad teeth due to not going to the dentist but It's actually from trying to ride American bikes round bends on British roads and flying off into trees ;)

thebigbookofbritishsmiles_thumb.png

Id love an Aprilia Mille but the availability of spares and reliability issues put me off.
I can't speak to the spares situation but I had an RSV Mille R followed by an RSV 1000 R Factory. No problems with reliability with either of them. The Factory was a bit bigger, and the RSV-R still remains the favourite of all the bikes I've owned.

Currently struggling to wedge my ever expanding midriff onto an 748R ... I still miss the Mille for comfort!

Whatever you do, just make sure you have the correct number of cylinders. More than two is an abhorrence against nature ....

It's a common misconception that the British have bad teeth due to not going to the dentist but It's actually from trying to ride American bikes round bends on British roads and flying off into trees
Having seen sufficient numbers of fellows (with great smiles) take their Harleys into curves and somehow miraculously exit said curves not-dead leads me to believe these stereotypes stem from the abilities of the riders espousing them, i.e., it's likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

Show me where I have stated that Harleys and customs are the only motorcycles ridden by Americans. Or for that matter everything else you've implied I've said in your post.

What I said was, America is the only country in the world (with the exception of Australia as far as I know), in which Customs etc are popular to any significant degree. In the rest of the world they are essentially a fringe choice.

But don't let what I actually said get in the way of your "high horse of being offended" just because someone that isn't from the US says something about it that you don't like. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not interested. You can choose to interpret my words anyway you like, I really don't care.

Having seen sufficient numbers of fellows (with great smiles) take their Harleys into curves and somehow miraculously exit said curves not-dead leads me to believe these stereotypes stem from the abilities of the riders espousing them, i.e., it's likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

Not many Harleys on the start of the TT this year :D

Pete

your "high horse of being offended" just because someone that isn't from the US says something about it that you don't like.
"Bemused" is the word you're looking for.

Not many Harleys on the start of the TT this year
Quite right, and that's as it should be. They aren't built for that purpose. But I maintain there must be a purpose for which they both are designed, and are quite successful at fulfilling.

advertisement

Back