advertisement

What is it with Audi drivers ?

The kind of person who has just discovered that a man with a wheelbarrow was unable to avoid damaging the back of his car as he took said barrow down an obscured driveway, perhaps?
Head down the driveway and leave your bumper 2 inches from his door.

42001772505_0529be8848_c.jpg

Taken at a car park in Swindon on Friday
Is that Mick P's Audi?

My parents regarded Jag drivers as the Audi/BMW drivers of that generation.

I can imagine that. This is a 25 year old car worth just about a light. Mind you the XJ6 4.0 Sport is appreciating so i'm hoping it to get up to the value of a packet of fags soon.

I've had an AudI TT. Very dull since they have taken away the rather nice Bauhaus feel of the original design. Better off with a Golf.

I also have an old Kangoo which I enjoy parking next to people that do that. Sliding doors are a boon.

I also have an old Kangoo which I enjoy parking next to people that do that. Sliding doors are a boon.
I had a Berlingo with the sliding door on the side, great until the day I put a bit too much welly into shutting it and caught my thumb, tearing off the whole thumbnail. That made my eyes water for for a few moments, I can tell you. Remarkably, it grew out from the root again and is almost as good as new now. Took nearly a year though.

Audi drivers seem to have lost their touch these days - it is the Mercedes symbol that fills me with dread when my rear view mirror does a horror movie "dolly zoom" on it. Not sure why they can't indicate their wish to overtake by flashing their headlights instead of attempting to mount my car like a randy bull.

I thought only I did this! I especially enjoy putting my passenger door about 3 cm off their drivers door so they end up climbing in from the other side. If they elect to scratch my scruffy Mondeo, they can. I might notice after a month or two.

About 3 feet of fresh air and another car, generally, when idiots choose to park like this.

He could be bothered about some of the idiots who let their kids out banging the doors into the next car, happens all the time and I've got a couple of bills and four current dents to show for it. That's looking like another £2k to fix.

Whenever i'm going to supermarket or public car park any decent car stays at home if poss.

OH actually has a second car for this very reason (usually works in supermarkets).

Audi drivers seem to have lost their touch these days - it is the Mercedes symbol that fills me with dread when my rear view mirror does a horror movie "dolly zoom" on it. Not sure why they can't indicate their wish to overtake by flashing their headlights instead of attempting to mount my car like a randy bull.

This is an interesting point. I have never felt comfortable flashing another car with overtaking in mind no matter how slowly they drive or how empty the inside lane. I have occasionally used the indicator to try and get the point across but this has limited effectiveness. The most effective situation does seem to be when you are coming up behind them with a reasonable speed difference but it does have aggressive overtones.

There is definitely a outside/third lane "type" who once in it seem very reluctant to relinquish their position. Often, I find myself pulling into the inside lane and sitting there as a kind of hint that there is space for them to do the same. Usually in vain and have my previous position behind them taken by another.

This is an interesting point. I have never felt comfortable flashing another car with overtaking in mind no matter how slowly they drive or how empty the inside lane. I have occasionally used the indicator to try and get the point across but this has limited effectiveness. The most effective situation does seem to be when you are coming up behind them with a reasonable speed difference but it does have aggressive overtones.

There is definitely a outside/third lane "type" who once in it seem very reluctant to relinquish their position. Often, I find myself pulling into the inside lane and sitting there as a kind of hint that there is space for them to do the same. Usually in vain and have my previous position behind them taken by another.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'd personally rather someone flash their lights than hover millimetres from my rear bumper. I usually get out of the way before that though - I've never understood why some people think they should be the road police, like deliberately obstructing someone is going to make them suddenly realise the error of their ways, rather than just increasing the chances they'll get you involved in accident while trying to get past you.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'd personally rather someone flash their lights than hover millimetres from my rear bumper. I usually get out of the way before that though - I've never understood why some people think they should be the road police, like deliberately obstructing someone is going to make them suddenly realise the error of their ways, rather than just increasing the chances they'll get you involved in accident while trying to get past you.

Totally agree, strange behaviour and it seems to be spreading.

I drive in the USA a lot and it is a bigger issue there but at least you are permitted to undertake which helps considerably.

I drive in the USA a lot and it is a bigger issue there but at least you are permitted to undertake which helps considerably.

As far as I am aware, undertaking safely is not necessarily illegal, at least on motorways and dual carriageways, in the UK and most of the EU.

Most of the A2 motorway between Amsterdam and Utrecht is 5 lanes wide with a 100km/h speed limit during the day (130km/h after 7pm). Often in the middle of the day, when traffic is usually light, there are cars driving at 95km/h in the faster lanes with nobody at all on the inside lanes : I frequently cruise past on an inside lane at 100km/h, leaving at least one empty lane between us. Germans invariably correct their lane positioning if this happens, the Dutch usually not...

advertisement

Back