advertisement

What is it that makes an fm tuner special?

I’ve a minty 100 series in a suede-like brown for anyone that has £150 burning a hole in their pocket….

discovered that my parents’ portable radio had UKW.

That takes me back. Still have an old radio set in the loft with UKW on it; not sure what it stands for, though. Think it might be a Grundig which explains sth. I s'pose.

France Musique

The equivalent of R3; at least that's what iwas considered as but I remember comments in the mag's of the 70s/60s about the excellent s.q. of France Musique. Mind you, R3 has never been less than good. Managed to get Fr.Mus. once or twice on my G23 in Ramsgate but it wasn't sustainable.

I have had many great tuners over the years - HHScott, Dynaco, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Luxman, Onkyo, MagnumDynalab 108T.

My current tuner is the absolutely fabulous Denon TU-604CI modular tuner system - which allows for 6 independent tuner modules. I have it filled with 4 FM modules (with separate antennas facing the 4 compass directions), one HD radio module and one XM Satellite module.

Last edited:
I might get a proper FM tuner after reading all these posts. Probably just nostalgia but I have fond memories of hearing radio 2 on my late grandparents' Roberts (now serviced and in my possession) and a small plastic portable on top of their fridge (also in my possession now!).

Is there a device which can help locate the strongest FM signal? Or a website that shows transmitters on a map?

I might get a proper FM tuner after reading all these posts. Probably just nostalgia but I have fond memories of hearing radio 2 on my late grandparents' Roberts (now serviced and in my possession) and a small plastic portable on top of their fridge (also in my possession now!).

Is there a device which can help locate the strongest FM signal? Or a website that shows transmitters on a map?

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/locations/AMFM

But nostalgia is a strong motivator because it brings with it that early love you had. Makes the listening a special thing.

What makes FM radio great in the UK and a few others is the love that the engineers put into the program quality, especially R3
As with all other music play, the mastering is 90% of the problem.
Unfortunately I do not have an equivalent where I am

What makes FM radio great in the UK and a few others is the love that the engineers put into the program quality, especially R3
As with all other music play, the mastering is 90% of the problem.
Unfortunately I do not have an equivalent where I am
Radio 3 is my primary listening. I’ll use IR for other stations but the tuner sounds best to me with R3.

Just heard a wonderful amalgam of Reich,Sibelius and birdsong etc. on R3. I always think clapping is a good test of fidelity and the Reich recording featured clapping that sounded very ‘in room’.This is why I love fm.

Here in France there's no FM Radio 3, obviously. I'm sitting listening via Freesat into a cheap decoder and, via HDMI to the television, back out to my Apogee Minidac via Toslink (fixed XLR outputs). I know right!

Thereafter, through the Quad 33/303 into Spendor SP2s.

I post this because it's so convoluted it ought to be terrible...but actually sounds excellent! I think an FM signal might be nicer, but the Freesat feed is good. Really good.

Here in France there's no FM Radio 3, obviously. I'm sitting listening via Freesat into a cheap decoder and, via HDMI to the television, back out to my Apogee Minidac via Toslink (fixed XLR outputs). I know right!

Thereafter, through the Quad 33/303 into Spendor SP2s.

I post this because it's so convoluted it ought to be terrible...but actually sounds excellent! I think an FM signal might be nicer, but the Freesat feed is good. Really good.
Freesat is often recommended.

I might get a proper FM tuner after reading all these posts. Probably just nostalgia.
Or a website that shows transmitters on a map?
But nostalgia is a strong motivator

Don't forget that nostalgia's not what it used to be :) Judging by my very old Ron Smith guide, your nearest decent transmitter might be Midhurst but I guess the BBC has all the info. on transmitter stations and their output.

My uncle bought this new in '73 and I got given it around 25 years ago - I remember it sounded very good when I hooked it up to my system but don't really listen to radio.

20211101_131332.jpg

20211101_131324.jpg

Weighs a ton and in '73 was Pioneer's top tuner!
Been in the garage for a few years so will give it a clean and check to see if it works - will probably put it up for sale as a shame to not be used!

My uncle bought this new in '73 and I got given it around 25 years ago - I remember it sounded very good when I hooked it up to my system but don't really listen to radio.

20211101_131332.jpg

20211101_131324.jpg

Been in the garage for a few years so will give it a clean and check to see if it works - will probably put it up for sale as a shame to not be used!
That’s a very good one indeed with a warm tone. Probably due for a recap though if never been done.

20211101_131332.jpg

20211101_131324.jpg

Exciting.

advertisement

Back