advertisement

What headphone amp for Senn 650 ?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
I know there was a recent thread on can amp's, but I need one to replace my Naim Headline. Budget s/h pref. below £250 and must have integrated power supply; no wall warts.

Nothing fancy, just one 1/4 jack socket and decent power output that matches with 650s. Probably s/state as I have all valve amplification already

I need to run it directly from TV line-outs, and also have connections to tape out on my pre., so two (switchable?) inputs needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks for those suggestions; seems there were 2 versions of Canamp; ie a later one which looks all but identical.

Really need 2 inputs, switchable, though. One connected to TV and t'other to pre-amp.

Maybe I'm asking too much !

The older version of the Matrix M-Stage has 2 switchable inputs and is cheap (line out too, in case that's useful to you, and switchable gain). Head-fi favourite. I bought one 4 years ago for my AKG 701s and have had no problems with it. Can't really comment on SQ: I'm not a big headphone listener and apart from the lack of hiss it sounds about the same to me as my integrated.

The Matrix M Stage older version is excellent for the Sennheiser HD650. I used this combination with great success. Bass is deep and overall sound is very detailed. Unlike many Chinese audio products, good branded components are used with the M Stage

schiit jotunheim

by far the best amp for the hd650 for the money. go look at headfi and superbestaudiofriends. ever since that amp was released 4 months ago, everyone who heard the jotunheim cannot believe how synergetic it is for the hd650, beating amp costing 2-3-5 times its price. the synergy is really special for everyone hearing the combo.

jotunheim is awesome for hd650, but not for hd800 for example, so this is really a recommendation for the 650 specifically.

Myself, im still happy with my ifi ican and 650, but Ill eventually go with the jotunheim.

Two more suggestions I'd not come across; quite intriguing for that one which 'discriminates' between Senn.650 and 800 ! Thanks for those.

Also came across references on Google to the 650s as being 'dark'. Surprised me, but I've always had Senn's, apart from Koss in 1970.

I've had both hd 650 & 600
Went happy back to my various Beyer's and AKG which was better for my ears, similar or lower priced
A dedicated amp is essential for most of these types
My Amp is Rega Ear or NJC

I have used 3 amps with my 650's Woo WA2, graham slee solo , Burson 160 .. Slee solo was the best IMHO
Never found a synergistic pairing with my 800's..I got rid of them
Currently using an audeze LCD-3 Fazor and april music Eximus DP1 dac/headamp.. not all that happy with the Cans..
At any rate , Im going no further with cans.. my speakers kill them...

Thanks all; helpful stuff.

As an interim, I've just resurrected my old Cyrus One, which needed a little TLC, and connected it up to my Pre. (E.A.R. 912). I'm frankly amazed at the sound quality from its headphone outlet with my 650s.

Didn't expect this from an old , unused and rather lowly integrated.

All suggestions welcome as this area of hifi is a bit of a learning curve !:)

Not sure if my ears are playing tricks but listening to radio, CD and vinyl last evening through my little ol' Cyrus One was quite a revelation. Slightly different presentation from, but just as (or even more?) enjoyable than through my previous Naim Headline.

Very odd, but it does make me think.........!

The NJC Monitor II will drive the Senns with no problem (I used one for my HD800s until I got a Sennheiser amp). Bit out of your budget, but you may pick one s/h for what you want.
http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/headphone_amplifier.html

How do you find the Sennheiser amp? It has good specs (balanced analogue input, adjustable RCA input sensitivity, etc). I have an Icon Audio HP8 mkII amp, which is a nice piece of kit, but I have to use rca attenuators when the amp is connected to my DAC, which 'throttles' the sound a little IMO. The Senn amp would overcome this issue.

advertisement

Back