advertisement

What does the Paratrace tip sound like?

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
I appreciate this may be a tough one to answer since they will be fitted to a cartridge that's had a worn tip for some time. I'm particularly interested to know if anyone's gone from an AT micro line tip to one.

This is probably no help at all but I had Denon DL103R redone with a paratrace tip. The change from a spherical tip was really noticeable, masses more detail and separation. However with it the Denon lost its soul and became quite an analytical cart.

The change from a micro line shouldn't be as drastic.

I’ve had two cartridges retipped with the Paratrace and close friends similarly. Apparently the Paratrace is very (exceedingly) similar to the VdH tip profile. There are two problems I/we have experienced; the first is one of longevity and I would say that the Paratrace wears out more quickly than some others (like those from AT for example). This, I believe, is down to the stock used for grinding the stylus profile rather than the profile itself. The second issue is that it’s not at all kind to surface noise and tends to highlight it above all. The Gyger S tip I last had fitted, although looking frighteningly radical in profile, is far kinder to surface noise but still with excellent top end extension and has already outlived my last two Paratrace stylus’ and with no apparent shortfall in top end performance (yet). When it does die I’m definitely having another fitted!

Last edited:
I emailed him re: re t tipping an AT OC9 and a Dynavector 10x5 and he said he couldn't retip either however ESCO said they could retip either.

advertisement

Back