advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

I saw Rodriquez last night and for a solid 70 years old he did well, he was backed up by some iconic aussie muso's. It was packed and according to my friend, in total contrast to pre "searching for sugarman' days. She saw him in a little bar in downtown Sydney attended by about 40 people, after the gig they shared some yarns and a joint and went back to his hotel for coffee and more mary jane. I beleive she asked him to marry her.

Had to go to a concert with my wife yesterday. It was her named xmas present. Nearly topped self.

El Divo! Cheese, more cheese and even more cheese. More cheese than there has ever been in the cheesiest corners of Cheese Street, Cheese town, Cheeseville in fact.

The audiance (-1) loved it, threw pants at the good looking bloke in the 'band' and I looked around for some sanity for 2 + hours.

The boss loved her Xmas present.

Thankfully Katherine Jenkins really can sing and is not wholly unattractive. ;)

M

Went to see Beth Orton at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh last night. First time I'd seen her live and definitely enjoyed it.

Daughter at liverpool anglican cathedral last night. First time I've been in there - fantastic venue for smaller gigs. Bit odd ordering and consuming beer in a cathedral. Nice 2 min sermon from the vicar before procedings commenced. Daughter were suitably atmospheric and well worth seeing.

Last night I had a wonderful time witnessing Serafina Steer play at Bush Hall. I highly recommend her latest album if you have not heard it yet.

I saw UK last night here in Albany NY. The current lineup of Eddie Jobson, John Wetton, Alex Machacek and Virgil Donati were blistering. Amazing musicianship, visceral sound and a memorable performance. I was particularly impressed by how good Wetton's voice sounded, as well as level of savagery with which Virgil Donati approached his drum kit, and oh, Jobson's transparent violins. Prog-tastic.

Michael Rother at Wrexham Central Station. Played lots of Neu! and Harmonia. Backed by a great band called Camera allegedly found busking on the streets of Berlin.

Low, Bristol, last night.

Stunning as always.

They're playing Barbican Hall in That London tonight. It's sold out, which is good for the band. But I'm glad I saw them in Bristol where I was standing about 5m away and in the moment.

Damian

Yep, I saw Low at the Barbican last night. Absolutely beautiful as usual. As the new album has more vocals by Mimi, we heard a lot from her last night. She seems to sing with no effort and play the drums at the same time.

Always worth catching them play live.

Loudon Wainwright III tonight at Manchester Bridgewater Hall.
Getting serious as he faces his own mortality!

A whole heap of gigs at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival. I was lucky enough to be shooting the festival with my camera (some of my pics are on my website - there'll be more later), but bought tickets for a number of gigs, so that I could sit through the whole gig - Dionne Warwick, Madeleine Peyroux, Noisettes, Lianne La Havas.

My favourite was Laura Mvula - just captivating. Gregory Porter was his usual sensational self as well.

Charlie
ww.charlie-chan.co.uk

Last night, Steve Hackett "Genesis Revisited" at St David's Hall, Cardiff. Bloody marvellous from the opening chords of "Watcher of the Skies" to the final refrain of "Los Endos" - good job Mr Hackett and his very fine band! Might just have to go and book tickets for Bristol Colston Hall in October now!

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Hi, quick trip to the U.K. to see Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. Great show , worth the trip although also got to see my Daughter and grand children .

Went to see Mark Kozelek at Sheperds Bush earlier. Never heard him play live before and I thought he was just fantastic. Also, Neil Halstead was on supporting duty. A great night. And it's only Monday.

Lambchop Oran Mhor, not the fisrt time ive seen them, but the fisrt time ive been to Oran Mhor, lovely venue and Lambchop were also always JAWDROPPING

Off to see John Cooper Clarke on Thursday evening at the Tolbooth in Stirling, i have loved this guy since i was 17, and cant wait, i treat in store for me i think!

Philip Glass, solo piano, Bristol, last night.

Wow. This was an astonishing musical experience unlike anything I've heard before. Very difficult to find words to describe. But the tension between repetition and change; structure and fluidity made for a mesmerising and enthralling evening. I felt I was in the presence of a unique creative genius.

Damian

advertisement

Back