advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

Golden Hour Of Stax Hits. Budget 1975 comp.

60 Minutes Guaranteed Playing Time!

My5qcGVn.jpeg

IMG-3334.jpg

Really not as bad as it’s made out to be. Okay, it’s not spectacular but You Won’t Change Me, Gypsy and Dirty Women are actually really good. You can almost hear the sound of the swirling coke dust though.

Last edited:
Count Basie And His Orchestra – Hollywood...Basie's Way. 1968 iUK ssue.

Late 60s Basie so BIG arrangements and beautiful sound but maybe not the most interesting material.

NS03NDYzLmpwZWc.jpeg

TOOL : Fear Inoculum ( Stupid £70 version with USB charged sceen etc etc )
Weather Report : Heavy Weather
Nick Cave : Push the Sky Away.

All on CD , had a little too much wine to risk the Turntable, too many cantilevers removed over the years :-(

Playing my copy now. Side 1 has some distortion though
Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings. Blue Note – ST 84231. LP, Remastered, 2024. This is fantastic and dynamic as a dynamic thing on steroids...

MzUtNjA0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg
My copy is totally flat and quiet, but as Gavin said it is also amazingly dynamic. I am getting no distortion on track1, but I can imagine some systems may find this difficult to track. This is a xylophone being hit really hard with hard rubber mallets and it seems RVG has placed his mikes very close to the metal bars and resonators pushing them to the limits. It does not overload, at least not to my ears, but comes very close.
Track 2 is very interesting as Joe Chambers plays a unusual ‘fluttering’ sound with his brushes that can almost sound like noise while both Hancock (sounding great) and Bobby hammer quite hard on the keys at times.
Interesting to compare tracks 1 and 2 with track 3 that I am fairly certain is a marimba? that has softer tuning hit with soft mallets.

advertisement

Back