advertisement

What are you listening to right now #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
continuing the theme

Screenshot-2022-01-05-at-09-50-21.png

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

2nd fave DK album but as I am streaming while at work I'll chuck on Police Truck and Too Drunk to as a little sprinkle at the end. One of the best covers on here in my opinion in Viva Las Vegas.

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

2nd fave DK album but as I am streaming while at work I'll chuck on Police Truck and Too Drunk to as a little sprinkle at the end. One of the best covers on here in my opinion in Viva Las Vegas.

I have the 2xCD version of that which has Police Truck and Too Drunk on the second disk. Makes for a good set.

I'm working my way through as many of the Jazz Critics top 50 as are available on Qobuz or Spotify. Today it's Johnathan Blake's Homeward Bound, a Blue Note set with a lot of highly rated players: Joel Ross, Dezon Douglas, Immanuel Watkins, David Virelles.

Maybe a streamer not a buyer but I'll return for a few more listens.

s-l200.jpg

Please do report back :)

Will do

So far its a mixed bag tbh.

This is currently playing which I really like and may get a copy. A flute/ cello/ drum trio playing music in the AACM tradition - with a real groove to it in places.

a3030736999_16.jpg

I've had a listen to the Bill Charlap trio which is nice but a bit lounge jazz in places and made me feel I was waiting for my pasta to arrive

Kenny Garrett's Sounds From the Ancestors may get a further listen. It was really good in places but at times it got a bit too cop show soundtrack/ Stevie Wonder for my tastes.

Last edited:
From the margins of the Jazz Critics list where the best things sometimes are to be found (this was in Francis Davis's ten)

a1540390129_16.jpg

A 11 piece band ( with not a guitar in sight but some electronic treatments of brass and clarinets) play arrangements of Bill Frisell tunes. On first listen a very fine record that may well find its way into the collection.

And they may have the best name of any group I've encountered this year.

You can stream it from Bandcamp:

Unscientific Italians (bandcamp.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back