advertisement

Well Tempered Amadeus MK II, is it an upgrade?

Crystalboy

Hey everyone! New member here but have been lurking in the classics department for many years. I’ve gone through loads of turntables during these past ten years since I’ve been into analogue audio. I’ve really got a liking to Thorens tables, and many have past through the years. But I still have to many and feel that I’d want to slim down my collection and do an upgrade at the same time. I’m going to keep one Thorens table. I’ve found a Well Tempered Amadeus MK II with a 10,5″ LTD Tonearm locally where I live, they’re asking 1500£ for it. Would this be an upgrade or a sidestep? I’ve also been looking at Linn LP12 but I’m leaning on not going down the suspended turntable route. What I currently have are these:

- Thorens TD 125 with SME 3009 II Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 125 MK II with SME Series II Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 160 Super with SME 3009 II Improved Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 160 MKII with SME Series III Tonearm.

Basically, also what I’m looking at is serviceability. Replacement Thorens motors are not around anymore. Id like to go for something that is still considered new or has parts readily available (like LP12s) but also something that would be at least a slight upgrade. I’ve not written off Linn just yet, but feel that they’re a bit overpriced on the used market, at least where I live. Grateful for any inputs and if someone has any experience with the Amadeus, or Linn vs Thorens for that matter :)

A WTA with standard golf ball arm showed my LP12/Lingo3 a clean pair of heels SQ wise several years ago. LP12 long gone, WTA still here. Some might not like the appearance and ergonomics, but well worth giving it a go I'd say.

Hey everyone! New member here but have been lurking in the classics department for many years. I’ve gone through loads of turntables during these past ten years since I’ve been into analogue audio. I’ve really got a liking to Thorens tables, and many have past through the years. But I still have to many and feel that I’d want to slim down my collection and do an upgrade at the same time. I’m going to keep one Thorens table. I’ve found a Well Tempered Amadeus MK II with a 10,5″ LTD Tonearm locally where I live, they’re asking 1500£ for it. Would this be an upgrade or a sidestep? I’ve also been looking at Linn LP12 but I’m leaning on not going down the suspended turntable route. What I currently have are these:

- Thorens TD 125 with SME 3009 II Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 125 MK II with SME Series II Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 160 Super with SME 3009 II Improved Tonearm.
- Thorens TD 160 MKII with SME Series III Tonearm.

Basically, also what I’m looking at is serviceability. Replacement Thorens motors are not around anymore. Id like to go for something that is still considered new or has parts readily available (like LP12s) but also something that would be at least a slight upgrade. I’ve not written off Linn just yet, but feel that they’re a bit overpriced on the used market, at least where I live. Grateful for any inputs and if someone has any experience with the Amadeus, or Linn vs Thorens for that matter :)
That’s an absolute bargain, buy it immediately.

That's an absolutely stonking bargain. If for whatever reason you don't buy it you will let us all know where it is?

You are sure it isn't a scam????

I turned down a WTA Amadeus for £500 ten years ago because it looked cheap and nasty and the ergonomics are awful. They sound good, but £1500? You're having a laugh. That buys you a Garrard 401 and that murders it for sound quality. I've compared them side by side.

I switched when I heard my LP12, Circus, Lingo 2, Ekos, Akiva, Mana Ref side by side with a golfball GTa. Still use it but plan a Technics G or Denon for my dotage. Oh, and I was brought up with Lenco GL99/SME/ Shure.

The thing about the GTa is that it will be the same in 50 years as it is today. It is solid aluminium and to bring an example to ‘as new’ condition all you need to do is replace the string, the gloop and the squash balls.

Last edited:
So you keep saying, Steve.
And I will go on saying, as long as people keep asking "Is a WT deck any good?" So once again, they sound great, but they look cheap and they're made from cheap components.

The thing about the GTa is that it will be the same in 50 years as it is today. It is solid aluminium and to bring an example to ‘as new’ condition all you need to do is replace the string, the gloop and the squash balls.
Same goes for an LP12. It's wood, metal and a plastic lid. None of that is going anywhere unless it's damaged. Replace the belt and any rubber bits.

Horses for course, eh?

Hey, they work very very well.

So does a Michell deck, so does a nice Nottingham Analogue, so does an LP12! Take your pick.

I remember back at school the bun fights over ‘my Commodore is better than your Spectrum!’ (I had a BBC Micro, kept quiet about that one… that would have been considered an outlier.. 😂)

:DAnd I will go on saying, as long as people keep asking "Is a WT deck any good?" So once again, they sound great, but they look cheap and they're made from cheap components.

Same goes for an LP12. It's wood, metal and a plastic lid. None of that is going anywhere unless it's damaged. Replace the belt and any rubber bits.
So you keep saying Steve ! :D

advertisement

Back