advertisement

Weiss Dac202 with Naim pre-amp nac202

SoundFreak

Dear friends,

Recently I acquired weiss dac202u which I have connected to Naim nac202 preamp via rca out. I have set weiss main analogue output at 2.15vrms from menu.

I also have naim cdp cd5xs which is also connected to nac202. As per spec, cdp Lso has line output set at 2.10 vrms.

Since both weiss and cdp are set at same vrms, i was expecting spl would be same. But i find cdp sounds much louder compared to weiss. I need to substantially increase volume on preamp when weiss playing compared to cdp.

When i set output level at 4.15 on weiss , spl is comparable to cdp.

I am not sure what wrong i am doing. I rechecked all settings on weiss but issue persist

Did anybody experience similar situation and found solution?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When you sort out this problem, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of the cd5xs compared to the 202.

What are you using to play back and what format are you using?

How were the tracks ripped. You are talking about less than 6dB difference that could easily be accounted for in ripping/playback.

Are you using any Weiss EQ?

Cheers,

DV

Thanks DV,

I have ripped tracks in AIFF format using ITune. Error correction check box was enabled. I am using Amarra Hifi (not the full version)

Pl. can u explain "less than 6 db" difference?

Thanks

What are you using to play back and what format are you using?

How were the tracks ripped. You are talking about less than 6dB difference that could easily be accounted for in ripping/playback.

Are you using any Weiss EQ?

Cheers,

DV

Thanks DV,

I have ripped tracks in AIFF format using ITune. Error correction check box was enabled. I am using Amarra Hifi (not the full version)

Pl. can u explain "less than 6 db" difference?

Thanks

I use the formula dB = 20 * Log(Vout / Vin). If Vout is 4.15 and Vin is 2.15 then the 'gain' between using the higher voltage over the lower is about 5.9dB.

Try ripping in dBpoweramp. You have full features for free during the trial period then only buy if you need the additional features.

Linky http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

Cheers,

DV

Firstly, ripping in iTunes is perfectly fine.

It's been a long time since I've owned a Weiss DAC202, but I assume the volume is on 100 or the volume control has been disabled. Equally, iTunes needs to be set to 100, so there's no software or hardware attenuation.

Maybe the gain on the NAC202 is different when using CD (DIN), CD (RCA) or AUX (RCA phono / configurable)?

Regards,
Peter

When you sort out this problem, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of the cd5xs compared to the 202.

I've not heard a CD5xs but I'd be very surprised if a Dac202 didn't wipe the floor with it. Bearing in mind what others have heard against much higher end Naim CD players.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom