advertisement

Weather Report - Property of CBS

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
I've been going through my vinyl collection and found two Weather Report LPs 'Mr Gone' and 'Heavy Weather' embossed in gold on the rear of the sleeves is 'Property of CBS Demonstration only Not for sale'. Intrigued I looked at the stamps on the vinyl and they have A1/B1 and A2/B1. Hmmm. Interesting does this make them of any value other than just to play and enjoy. They look new but I must have played 'em at least once eh? Dunno where I got these from.

Cheers,

DV

Likely to be promo copies issues for journalists and the like, I used to have some in my days of vinyl. Others can advise on their value

They are promo copies and would have been sent out to radio stations and reviewers. The value tends not to be more than a similar condition first pressing, which surprises me as they are clearly rarer (maybe 10 to 150 or so copies depending on title vs. anything up to 4000). I like them and given the choice between a mint first press and a mint promo first press always keep the latter myself.

Tony.

A mate of mine's girlfriend used to work for Island in London in the 70's, he had box full's of these printed on the back promo etc, sadly sold them all years ago

Martin

I'll take the promo as well.

My last band only sold CDs at gigs with "Promo" on the artwork as a combination of marketing tool rarity and "cop out" as they weren't a proper full length (whatever that means with people's expectations these days) album.

I hope you like the albums, good choices.

Sounds like a fun find. I wonder where you picked them up at. Have you had a chance to take a listen yet?

advertisement

Back