advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

Of course you would say that, otherwise it would be legitimate resistance against an occupying power.
Wouldn't it?
Actually it'd still be a war crime, as a sizeable proportion of the death toll were civilians who perished, though by Hamas' hand or at the hand of IDF helicopter gunships would require investigation.
I direct you to to the film uploaded to Al Jazeera’s website, where by their own admission, IDF pilots were using WhatsApp to fire upon targets who could not be positively identified as either Hamas or civilian.

The same way South Africa dismantled apartheid and the North of Ireland reached The Good Friday Agreement, with the ingrained attitude of both the Afrikaaners and Ulster Unionists: a lot of pain, difficulty and discomfort on both sides; but ultimately reconciliation and a mutual recognition that the status quo simply can’t endure.

I point to Ireland as a whole as an example of substantial change that once seemed almost impossible. Twenty five years ago the south was an oppressive, backward Catholic theocracy and the north was a de facto apartheid statelet. Now the south has legalised divorce and same-sex marriage, and has an openly gay Taoiseach, while the north has a Catholic, Republican, Sinn Fein first minister. All unthinkable thirty years ago.

A 2-state solution is still, I believe, the only possible one. It would require the support of "the West", of the reasonable Arab states, and above all of Israel's Arab neighbours. The settlers could easily be removed, just as they were pulled out of Gaza in 2006, with a government other than Bibi's (who is already a political zombie) in the interest of peace and security. But I fear that the Iran/Russia team would do everything possible to sabotage this, at least as things stand today.
Bear in mind that between 1948 and 1967 Jordan, Egypt and Syria occupied the West Bank and Gaza, and did nothing to built a "State of Palestine." Jordan actually annexed the West Bank.
Ok, it might work with, as would likely be necessary, the strongest of sanctions against Israel, also the UN directing an international peacekeeping force in the forcible removal of settlers. The history of the Ottomans, Jordanians etc pales into insignificance in comparison with the genocide Netanyahu and the IDF are visiting upon Palestine. Ain't gonna happen.

Of course you would say that, otherwise it would be legitimate resistance against an occupying power.
Wouldn't it?
Actually it'd still be a war crime, as a sizeable proportion of the death toll were civilians who perished, though by Hamas' hand or at the hand of IDF helicopter gunships would require investigation.
Don't know what you are saying, it was in Israel. Not me saying it. Look at a map.

Israeli jets bomb Palestinian shelters in Deir el-Balah

Our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic are reporting that Israeli jets have bombed several tents sheltering displaced Palestinians in Deir el-Balah in the central Gaza Strip.
The attacks killed and wounded several people.
They come after a series of deadly Israeli assaults on southern Rafah and Khan Younis.
We will bring you more on this soon.

AOC catching up now:

AOC decries ‘unfolding genocide’ in Gaza, urges halting weapons to Israel

Progressive Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has described the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza as a genocide and called on the United States to suspend weapons transfers to Israel.
“This is a mass starvation of people, engineered and orchestrated following the killing of another 30,000, 70 percent of whom were women and children killed. There is hardly a single hospital left. And this was all accomplished, much of this accomplished, with US resources and weapons,” Ocasio-Cortez said on the floor of the House of Representatives on Friday.
“If you want to know what an unfolding genocide looks like, open your eyes. It looks like the forced famine of 1.1 million innocents. It looks like thousands of children eating grass as their bodies consume themselves, while trucks of food are slowed and halted just miles away.
“It looks like good and decent people who do nothing, or too little, too late.”
Read the full story here.
There is no world in which the forced famine of 1.1 million people cannot be considered genocide. And that is exactly what we are watching unfold in Gaza now.
We must enforce U.S. laws and halt weapons transfers to the Israeli government to stop an atrocity in the making. pic.twitter.com/N40Jk3yKc7
— Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@RepAOC) March 22, 2024

AOC catching up now:

AOC decries ‘unfolding genocide’ in Gaza, urges halting weapons to Israel

Progressive Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has described the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza as a genocide and called on the United States to suspend weapons transfers to Israel.
“This is a mass starvation of people, engineered and orchestrated following the killing of another 30,000, 70 percent of whom were women and children killed. There is hardly a single hospital left. And this was all accomplished, much of this accomplished, with US resources and weapons,” Ocasio-Cortez said on the floor of the House of Representatives on Friday.
“If you want to know what an unfolding genocide looks like, open your eyes. It looks like the forced famine of 1.1 million innocents. It looks like thousands of children eating grass as their bodies consume themselves, while trucks of food are slowed and halted just miles away.
“It looks like good and decent people who do nothing, or too little, too late.”
Read the full story here.
This is welcome, but why has it taken her nearly six months to finally label it a ‘genocide’?

Fear of New York's Jewish population perhaps?
Possibly a factor, but many NY and US Jews have been protesting the genocide. I think she’s affected by the same political myopia as Sanders, that sees the Democrats as the only game in town.

Possibly a factor, but many NY and US Jews have been protesting the genocide. I think she’s affected by the same political myopia as Sanders, that sees the Democrats as the only game in town.
Very true. Jewish protestors on the left will be a minority - possibly a small minority, I don't know. However, she (and Sanders) needs to show much more leadership so this is a big leap.

Saturday roundup from the demos

Around 50 local actions for Palestine took place on Saturday with more planned for Sunday. The protests, organised by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Stop the War and others, showed the determination to keep up the solidarity for those facing the horrors of Israeli assaults.

Around 800 joined the march in Leeds which included some who had taken part in the university occupation.

Very true. Jewish protestors on the left will be a minority - possibly a small minority, I don't know. However, she (and Sanders) needs to show much more leadership so this is a big leap.
My guess is she was told 'keep your mouth shut, we'll have a cease-fire any minute now, don't mess it up!' But all this time still no cease fire. So finally, no more shut mouth.

Interesting interview on The World Tonight on Friday with a spokesperson from the Centre For International Policy. Israel receives 3.3 billion dollars worth of U.S. military aid per year. That accounts for 16% of Israel’s military spending, which doesn’t sound a lot. That figure however discounts the 100’s of millions of missile defence (which I take to refer to the Iron Dome) and the huge U.S. war reserves that Israel can draw upon at will (36 mins in).

Israeli forces moving towards the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis

[Looks like the b@stards are going from hospital to hospital now]

The Israeli military pushed deeper into the vicinity of the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis overnight under heavy coverage of fighter jets, military choppers and attack drones, adds our correspondent Hani Mahmoud from Gaza.
Israeli forces completely destroyed or severely damaged the remaining residential buildings in the area on the way.
They are currently stationed about half a kilometres from the hospital’s main gates.
“We can literally hear from Rafah the shelling of the vicinity of the medical complex. The Israeli army has not stated the purpose of this operation around the Nasser Hospital yet,” said Mahmoud.
He added that there have been more air strikes and artillery shelling in the northern Gaza and the vicinity of al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City.
The Israeli army continues to operate in and around the al-Shifa Hospital on the seventh day in a row.

Israel forces raped, killed women during raid on al-Shifa, witness says

A Palestinian woman who was trapped in a building near al-Shifa Hospital has told Al Jazeera that Israeli forces raped, kidnapped and killed women during their ongoing raid on Gaza’s largest hospital.
Jamila al-Hissi, who spent six days inside the besieged building before being forced out by Israeli forces, told Al Jazeera Arabic that al-Shifa was a “war zone”.
“They raped women, kidnapped women, executed women, and pulled dead bodies from under the rubble to unleash their dogs on them,” she said. “Is there anything worse than this? Is there anything more horrifying than hearing women call for help, and when we try to reach them to provide assistance, they shoot at us?”
"قوات الاحتلال اغتصبت نساء وقتلتهن، وأحرقت وقتلت عائلات بأكملها".. الفلسطينية جميلة الهسي المحاصرة بمحيط مجمع الشفاء تدلي بشهادتها للجزيرة#حرب_غزة #الأخبار pic.twitter.com/EdOFp1dJDc
— قناة الجزيرة (@AJArabic) March 23, 2024

Translation: The occupation forces raped women and killed them, and killed entire families”.. Palestinian Jamila al-Hissi, who is besieged in the vicinity of al-Shifa [Medical] Complex, gives her testimony to Al Jazeera.

I found this an interesting article:

Unfortunately, IMHO, it skirts the major problem - the fact that Hamas exists at all. It didn't come out of nowhere, but is the result of decades of injustice, and injustices that the current Israeli government appears determined to perpetuate. The last thing Netanyahu and his fanatical right-wing allies want is a Palestinian state of any description, and the only way to do that is to squash the Palestinians completely - which seems to be the current object.

I found this an interesting article:

Unfortunately, IMHO, it skirts the major problem - the fact that Hamas exists at all. It didn't come out of nowhere, but is the result of decades of injustice, and injustices that the current Israeli government appears determined to perpetuate. The last thing Netanyahu and his fanatical right-wing allies want is a Palestinian state of any description, and the only way to do that is to squash the Palestinians completely - which seems to be the current object.
The NYT has distinguished itself as Israel’s foremost cheerleader in the US.

”Over the top”? Yeah, I suppose the slaughter of 31,000 people is a little “over the top.”

“Hamas’s goal is to maximize the number of Palestinians who die and in that way build international pressure until Israel is forced to end the war before Hamas is wiped out.” So, and as Bassem Youssef points up above, Israel plays by Isis rules.

”He told me that Israel has done far more to protect civilians than the United States did in Afghanistan and Iraq. Spencer reports that Israel has warned civilians when and where it is about to begin operations and published an online map showing which areas to leave. It has sent out millions of pamphlets, texts and recorded calls warning civilians of coming operations.” Again, as Youssef asserts, if Putin started issuing warnings to Ukrainians, then he must posses some sort of moral virtue.

”building these tunnels cost the Gazan people about a billion dollars, which could have gone to building schools and starting companies.” So are we now to expect the NYT to start calling for America’s vast military budget to be redirected into public welfare?

Cruise missile liberalism at its finest.

The NYT has distinguished itself as Israel’s foremost cheerleader in the US.
As an NYT subscriber, who peruses it every day, I haven't found this. In general, the coverage has been balanced, managing reasonably well to balance the need to do something about Hamas's horrific actions, with the need to stop the Israelis' even more horrific actions. You have Bret Stephens, who, with regard to Israel, always reminds me of the line in Tom Lehrer's The Wienerschnitzel Waltz - "I was blind to your obvious faults" - and then you have Tom Friedman, who believes that Israel is doing itself no favours. The NYT can sometimes be too sensitive - I wrote a comment to one of the Stephens pieces, to the effect that the Israelis have learned all the wrong lessons from the Nazis, in that they have discovered the art of the excessive reprisal. It didn't get published.

advertisement

Back