advertisement

want to DIY a snaic5 caple need help

sparry

hello , i have a nait 3 where is cutted inside for a flat, and outside i need a snaic5 calble like a brige but the cable where i have is to long,
is any one here to help me couse i dont want short my cable.

so i want DIY a short snaic5 cable which cable i can buy for this plan?

nice regards jürgen

(sorry for my bad english)

Hello sparry, are you sure you are really meaning SNAIC-5 ???
SNAIC-5 carries 2x signal & 2x 24v power & 1x common -ve
The 5 DIN pins are around 240 degrees of the plug
Nait 3 do not have SNAIC cables unless they are converted for NAC92 use

The input plugs are 180 degree 5 pin DIN & the cable only carries 2x signal & 1x -ve
The cables for this are standard source to input Interconnect Cables (IC)

Please make it clear what cable you want
Then what length you want

sparry, this is even more confusing,
I need to know what you are trying to connect to the Nait-3
What other cable(s) are you using to receive a CD player or other source

4 pin is a SNAIC-4, this carries only 2x signal & 1x -ve (1 pin is NC (not used))
Its normally used to connect pre-amp to power amp, or to bi-amp, or to carry the signal connections from a power supply like a HiCap to the pre-amp.

With a Nait-3 its ONLY used to connect the Nait-3 when it is used as a pre-amp to a separate power amp.

The number written on the band does not refer to the type of interconnect but indicates the Naim employee who made the cable

mike-b

thank you for your help i want send a picture from the nait and his cable but i do not know how i can send here a pic;(

Please slow down & answer these simple questions

1: What is the Nait-3 connected to ?? CD player, Tuner, Vinyl TT, PC via DAC
2: Is the Nait connected directly from its own speaker terminals to the loudspeakers
or
3: Is the Nait connected to a power-amp ???

I'm assuming you want to turn it back into an integrated amp as opposed to serparate pre/power with external supply for the pre?

to post a pic upload to an external pic site like photobucket and post a link.

A goodly selection of bent paperclips is often the correct path here!

OK you need a SNAIC-4, but its not that simple.
In addition you will also need the link plug that fits into the 5 pin 240 degree DIN, I would be concerned about getting that also.

If you intend to power the Nait with an external PSU (Flatcap or HiCap) you need to get the Nait-3 converted internally, this is normally done by a Naim dealer or someone who know exactly what to do.

So do you intend to buy or make a SNAIC-4 ??? these are easily available on www & can be any length that you want starting from 0.5m up to 10m @ a very low cost.
http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/replacement-snaic-4-cables.html
I would advise this is the best route for you - without being disrespectful you are asking questions that a normal DIY person does not, maybe better to get it done professionally.

OK if you want to do this, & no its not wrong to ask, but you seem to be very unaware of the details in this subject - sorry but I am afraid it will be expensive if you get it wrong. Like a previous poster has said, I hope you know how to solder small cables correctly.

My SNAIC V special is made from Mogami 2549 - 2 core & screen. It could be made with a 4 core & double up the -ve in star quad config., or a 4 core & screen, but then its hard to know what to do with the leaft over core and/or screen.

With my IC each core carries the 2x signals & the screen is -ve
I use this cable because it has ultra low capacitance, its one of the lowest available, with 11pF/m between cores and 76pF/m core to screen, it has an excellent dielectric & very pure copper wire; all these are highly desirable with an IC.
My SNAIC & all my other IC's are as short as needed to exactly connect the equipment.
There are other similar cables from the same company & many other manufacturers.
I suggest you search www for local suppliers as Mogami is not easily available, I get mine from USA. Also look for some possible alternatives, Canare, Belden etc.

I am happy to help you, but please be careful.
Attached are SNAIC-4 schematic & some photos

DINIC3wireschematic.jpg

IMG_2561cropped.jpg

IMG_2812edited.jpg

hi mike thank you, so in time i look in ebay.de and i found the cable it is 2,89euro per meter
(Mogami - Neglex - 2549-00)

so is it correct that this cable where i need have no 24 volt.

nice regards jürgen

hi mike where do you learn german?
i will buy the mogami cable :)

yesterday i put out the snaic cable from one of the output
and the speakers make a loud noise in this moment i hope i have not dead them.

there are my first good speakers. ;(

Jurgen, I think its time you stopped this
It is not possible to only connect a SNAIC-4 & drive a power amp
The Nait needs a special link plug & some internal modifications as I said before

I am not familiar with the details, but you need to get help from someone with the plans - a Naim dealer

Yes, and achtung! The NAP180 carries 24 volts on its connector, which is normally used to power the pre-amp. If you get this wrong, you will send 24 volts where it will do some serious damage.

sparry

Please read my last note
It is not possible to only connect a SNAIC-4 & drive a power amp
The Nait needs a special link plug & I beleive also some internal modifications

Thats it i resign

advertisement

Back