advertisement

Wagner: It hasn't happened yet...

Not sure if this has been suggested but what about https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006XOBFJC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It comes highly recommended and is not super-expensive. I'm listening to it at the moment.

That cycle is included in the "Wagner - Great Recordings" 40CD box set. Tony has one for sale at the moment:

"Wagner - Great Recordings, huge 40xCD box on Sony including complete Ring Cycle etc, absolutely mint and far too much Wagner for £30.00."

Otherwise Amazon at ~ £35 ish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A2JTEHY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've just finished watching Götterdämmerung and in doing so, as you guys will know, I've also come to the end of the opera cycle. The magnitude of the closing scene, as well as that of the entire cycle, is still sinking in so my thoughts aren't altogether coherent when it comes to summing things up. What I can say though is that I appreciated the silence that accompanied the end credits - not because I was glad it was all over, in case you were wondering, but it seemed to seemed to amplify the strength of the finale. I enjoyed watching Siegfried the most as Siegfried and Brünnhilde were great, and oh, if only I could wake up with the appreciation of daylight as did Brünnhilde as I don't think I've ever woke up as happy as that before. I thought the performances were pretty good all round with everyone giving a committed performance. There were lots of times I was hooked but sometimes my mind began to wander so I think I know what I need to do next - watch it again!

I've just finished watching Götterdämmerung and in doing so, as you guys will know, I've also come to the end of the opera cycle. The magnitude of the closing scene, as well as that of the entire cycle, is still sinking in so my thoughts aren't altogether coherent when it comes to summing things up. What I can say though is that I appreciated the silence that accompanied the end credits - not because I was glad it was all over, in case you were wondering, but it seemed to seemed to amplify the strength of the finale. I enjoyed watching Siegfried the most as Siegfried and Brünnhilde were great, and oh, if only I could wake up with the appreciation of daylight as did Brünnhilde as I don't think I've ever woke up as happy as that before. I thought the performances were pretty good all round with everyone giving a committed performance. There were lots of times I was hooked but sometimes my mind began to wander so I think I know what I need to do next - watch it again!

Try to get to a live performance of a complete Ring cycle if you can, and pay for a good seat. No HiFi I've ever heard can do justice to the visceral experience of seeing & hearing it live!

I was on the fence as to whether I'd be keeping this Wagner 40-CD box set, but now that I've finally seen and heard The Ring - and perhaps more importantly, I enjoy listening to The Ring contained in the box set as performed by Janowski/Dresden - I'm pleased to say the box set is staying put :)

519kATSh4ML._AC_US218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back